• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cups (Cuphead and Mugman) vs Magicians (Bobby and Penny) [3-2-0]

Cuphead-and-his-pal-Mugman.webp
vs-blade-black-panther-logo-hd-transparent-29.png
Bobby-and-Penny-3.webp

CharacterKey

Cuphead and Mugman

Early Game (Inkwell Isle I)

Bobby and Penny

---

Note 1: Since Cuphead and Mugman practically always fight together and also have practically the same feats since in terms of gameplay they are the same character, I put them both in this battle in the vs topic and not in fun and games. In fact I think they should have a Duo profile like Bobby and Penny but that's not the case for now. So considering that, I think it's permissible for the two of them to be in a fight together, since they are always in a fight together.

Note 2: There's that thing about Cuphead and Mugman not having all their equipment equipped during a battle. And I don't know how that works, whether we let them use everything or not, so I'm not going to say anything and leave that to the supporters.

Rules:

Speed: Not Equalized
Everything else: SBA
Previous Knowledge: The Magicians have knowledge of how Cuphead and Mugman's resurrection ability works.

Votes:

Anthropomorphic Cups: (3) @Spilxson2, @LeoEpicGamer8910, @HonestlyBored24

Rookie Magicians: (2) @JustANormalLemon, @Dragonite007

Peppino (Inconclusive): (0)

Last edited:
I vote for Cuphead and Mugman. Despite the magicians having Supersonic reaction speeds and a slightly higher Attack Potency, Cuphead and Mugman have Accelerated Development and Resurrection via parrying souls. If they realize that they can't keep up on foot, their planes have Supersonic speed to close the gap. They also have more ability variety

I vote for Cuphead and Mugman. Despite the magicians having Supersonic reaction speeds and a slightly higher Attack Potency, Cuphead and Mugman have Accelerated Development and Resurrection via parrying souls. If they realize that they can't keep up on foot, their planes have Supersonic speed to close the gap. They also have more ability variety
To add on to this, the Chaser shot will relentlessly home in on Bobby and Penny despite their reaction speed. And I assume that even with Power Mode increasing their Attack Potency, it still won't be enough for a one shot and won't get around Resurrection with parries

I'm keeping my vote for Cuphead and Mugman, but you should probably give Bobby and Penny prior knowledge of their Resurrection so that they'd know to kill them both at the same time and that the thread won't be a giant stomp

Last edited:
To add on to this, the Chaser shot will relentlessly home in on Bobby and Penny despite their reaction speed. And I assume that even with Power Mode increasing their Attack Potency, it still won't be enough for a one shot and won't get around Resurrection with parries
I'm keeping my vote for Cuphead and Mugman, but you should probably give Bobby and Penny prior knowledge of their Resurrection so that they'd know to kill them both at the same time and that the thread won't be a giant stomp
I mean, I could give prior knowledge. But Bobby and Penny can damage ghosts/souls. When they killed a boss and then they destroyed/burned that same boss when he came back as a ghost.

The planes would be interesting, but they can't summon them whenever they want, like Bobby and Penny. Then they would have to go to the planes and use them.

Because of their reaction speed, mages can easily defend themselves from shots. And as additional motivation, they can summon their brooms to fly or use their portals to escape danger.

It's not a giant stomp. Mages have slightly higher statistics, they have a reaction with blocking that will prevent them from taking damage. They can summon their brooms to fly and portals.

The only thing that is really strong would be the resurrection of the cups, so if you want I can give knowledge to the magicians.

I don't know why you said "I keep my vote". Like, there was no argument defending them, you know?

And it's interesting how there wasn't a defense argument but the fra train has already started, how much I love topics vs.

Because usually if you change the rules after people have started voting, you also have to reset the votes
I haven't changed the rules yet.

If the Cups don't have their planes then you should give them at least one of their homing weapons
I didn't talk about whether or not they had their planes.

I said that unlike mages, they don't seem to be able to summon their flight tool whenever they want.

And as I said in the note, I don't know how using your equipment works in a topic vs. They have several types of shots and skills in phase 1, and I don't know what the "standard" is when nothing is said.

I don't know what their "Standard Equipment" is regarding the SBA, since they have so many different skill sets.

Anyway, I'll add prior knowledge.

I haven't changed the rules yet.

I didn't talk about whether or not they had their planes.

I said that unlike mages, they don't seem to be able to summon their flight tool whenever they want.

And as I said in the note, I don't know how using your equipment works in a topic vs. They have several types of shots and skills in phase 1, and I don't know what the "standard" is when nothing is said.

I don't know what their "Standard Equipment" is regarding the SBA, since they have so many different skill sets.

Anyway, I'll add prior knowledge.
Alright. Maybe add the votes of everyone else too

Didn't you just say that when the rules change the votes are reset? I just added the prior knowledge you suggested.
I said usually, not always. Even with the magicians having prior knowledge, Cuphead and Mugman still keep their win conditions and Resurrection isn't immediately out of the question

I said usually, not always. Even with the magicians having prior knowledge, Cuphead and Mugman still keep their win conditions and Resurrection isn't immediately out of the question
Cuphead and Mugman's victory conditions are practically the same as for wizards. On the offensive question.

But they have the advantage of the guided shooting, as the other shots either don't have a good range (like the Spread and Lobber) or can be blocked easily (like the Charge). And the plane is not their standard equipment.

And the mages have 3 different types of shots that are elementals that they can use whenever they want, in addition to the magic bubble.

I'm going to list the skills of the two that make the biggest difference/are most important.

Cups:
  • Regeneration
  • Resurrection
  • Homing Attack
I would say accelerated development, but there isn't exactly an exact rate of how much they get stronger over time.

Magicians

• Slight advantage in statistics
  • Supersonic reaction + magic bubbles
  • High mobility (Flight and portals)
  • They can attack the souls of the cups brothers if they die.
Anyway, I'm going to count the votes now that I've said what I wanted.

Now we just have to wait for the next votes.

Pretty sure the cups will just take this due to better danmaku and firing speed in general, all of their weapons travel faster than the magicians

Pretty sure the cups will just take this due to better danmaku and firing speed in general, all of their weapons travel faster than the magicians
No, it is not.

We are using the first key. So their speed is lower than magicians, both in total speed and reaction.

In addition to not having danmaku, they have Homing Attack,.

The cups scale to 12.434.849,494 Joules and the Magicians scale to 15.896.478,145 Joules

The Magicians are 1,28x stronger
In addition to what Dragonite already said.

The speed of the Magicians is 75.1716 m/s, while that of the cups is 66.241608 m/s.

It's not extreme high speed, but it's a small advantage in terms of dodging + shots.

I wondered that myself and yes

"Note: The amount of coins available by the end of each isle in the main game is respectively 15, 28, 39 and 40. This is important because items can only be bought from the shop in order, and as such, not all of them are available to the earlier keys. The total cost of all weapons/charms is 20/20, though 8/5 can be saved by never buying the most expensive one available. As a result, the Charm "Twin Heart" (Total coin amount needed: 18) is not available to Cuphead/Mugman in the first island. All weapons and other charms can be purchased by then. Note that Delicious Last Course weapons are only available in that DLC."

Granted it means they're a bit limited on the charms front

I think that in the first stages of Inkwell Isle they can get the Chaser weapon
Okay then, juat to remind everyone, cuphead and mugman only beingh able to use a limited amount of charms and 2 diferent "shoots" is considered game mechanics and they should be able to use all of then as long as they can buy It on that key

Okay then, juat to remind everyone, cuphead and mugman only beingh able to use a limited amount of charms and 2 diferent "shoots" is considered game mechanics and they should be able to use all of then as long as they can buy It on that key
Statandard equipament only mean they can carry only this amount if the thread don't give then more, so... It's not really relevant here :V

I think that charms don't matter much here, but if necessary, the person who made the match should specify that they have their chaser weapon in order to get around the magicians having much higher reaction speed

Any way, gonna unfortunetly vote the magicians, even with homing atacks and ressurection of one another the magicians have higher AP and speed, much more mobility with their double jump that can reach the top of the screen, sumoning their broons and use of portals, they can increase their damage mid fight and use their shields to block the homing atacks, I can totally see then overwhelming the cups... so unfortunetly I will have to give the magicians my vote

I think that charms don't matter much here, but if necessary, the person who made the match should specify that they have their chaser weapon in order to get around the magicians having much higher reaction speed
Well, they do. Otherwise it would be very unfair.

I just didn't specify because I don't have the strongest set of cups on the starting island.

Also, let me state another wincondition for cuphead and mugman, considering standard battle assumption they collected all the contracts from inkwell, so their acelerated development will make then 9-A if the battle takes long enough, still think the magicians will win most of the times here trough

Back