• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cthulhu mythos Discussion Thread

If we honestly take this argument (which is headcanon to say they don't understand given how they described it is accurate as a whole and hypnos is even able to go to azathoth court which is HARDER to comprehend than the dreamlands or gates (whichever you interpret hypnos place to be)
"Gilman’s dreams consisted largely in plunges through limitless abysses of inexplicably coloured twilight and bafflingly disordered sound; abysses whose material and gravitational properties, and whose relation to his own entity, he could not even begin to explain. He did not walk or climb, fly or swim, crawl or wriggle; yet always experienced a mode of motion partly voluntary and partly involuntary. Of his own condition he could not well judge, for sight of his arms, legs, and torso seemed always cut off by some odd disarrangement of perspective; but he felt that his physical organisation and faculties were somehow marvellously transmuted and obliquely projected—though not without a certain grotesque relationship to his normal proportions and properties."
It does sound similar to what's described in Hypnos
" Of our studies it is impossible to speak, since they held so slight a connexion with anything of the world as living men conceive it. They were of that vaster and more appalling universe of dim entity and consciousness which lies deeper than matter, time, and space, and whose existence we suspect only in certain forms of sleep—those rare dreams beyond dreams which come never to common men, and but once or twice in the lifetime of imaginative men. The cosmos of our waking knowledge, born from such an universe as a bubble is born from the pipe of a jester, touches it only as such a bubble may touch its sardonic source when sucked back by the jester’s whim. Men of learning suspect it little, and ignore it mostly. Wise men have interpreted dreams, and the gods have laughed. One man with Oriental eyes has said that all time and space are relative, and men have laughed. But even that man with Oriental eyes has done no more than suspect. I had wished and tried to do more than suspect, and my friend had tried and partly succeeded. Then we both tried together, and with exotic drugs courted terrible and forbidden dreams in the tower studio chamber of the old manor-house in hoary Kent."

Especially since it specifies "the Cosmos of our waking knowledge", which could be interpreted as the 3D world of men. To be clear I don't think there are no dimensionless realms in Lovecraft (or that they are actually "0D" lmfao) but there is basis for the "dimensional Gates" thing

On the topic of undimensioned realms and authors other than Lovecraft, I found this quote from the novel Space-Eaters from Frank Long:
"Suppose there were a greater horror? Suppose evil things from some other universe should decide to invade this one? Suppose we couldn't see them? Suppose we couldn't feel them? Suppose they were of a color unknown on Earth, or rather, of an appearance that was without color? Suppose they had a shape unknown on Earth? Suppose they were four-dimensional, five-dimensional, six-dimensional? Suppose they were a hundred-dimensional? Suppose they had no dimensions at all and yet existed? What could we do? They would not exist for us? They would exist for us if they gave us pain. Suppose it was not the pain of heat or cold or any of the pains we know, but a new pain? Suppose they touched something besides our nerves—reached our brains in a new and terrible way? Suppose they made themselves felt in a new and strange and unspeakable way? What could we do? Our hands would be tied. You cannot oppose what you cannot see or feel. You cannot oppose the thousand-dimensional. Suppose they should eat their way to us through space!"

This, coupled with the various descriptions of Azathoth's realm being "beyond dimensional" and "beyond angled space" makes it pretty clear that there's at least a 1-A cosmology here. The biggest issue is establishing a 1-A+ hierarchy, because it all depends on Hypnos, and I feel that alot of evidence towards the vacua being beyond dimensional aren't as clear cut as I'd hoped. This is why I tried to get a hold of some of Lovecraft's letters, to try and gain deeper insight into the novels. And that statement for TtGoftSK is pretty spicy I must say

This, coupled with the various descriptions of Azathoth's realm being "beyond dimensional" and "beyond angled space" makes it pretty clear that there's at least a 1-A cosmology here. The biggest issue is establishing a 1-A+ hierarchy, because it all depends on Hypnos, and I feel that alot of evidence towards the vacua being beyond dimensional aren't as clear cut as I'd hoped. This is why I tried to get a hold of some of Lovecraft's letters, to try and gain deeper insight into the novels. And that statement for TtGoftSK is pretty spicy I must say
I don't even think azathoths realm is beyond the gates tbh (but that's a seperate topic)

Other than Hypnos, do we have any other evidence of 1-A+ stuff? Like, explicitly beyond dimensional realms? It can be from Lovecraft himself or from the Circle

Azathoth is "beyond angled space" and "dimensional space". So if you believe the Gates are only dimensional barriers than it would have to be beyond them.
Outer Extension is already described as undimensoned and is still below "Multiplicity of Gates".

Other than Hypnos, do we have any other evidence of 1-A+ stuff? Like, explicitly beyond dimensional realms? It can be from Lovecraft himself or from the Circle
In through the gates of the silver key there are multiple Gates potentially infinite. It depends on how one specific quote is interpreted. I am unfortunately too lazy to post it.

Outer Extension is already described as undimensoned and is still below "Multiplicity of Gates".
Yeah but literally in the same paragraph it says "beyond the dimensions we know". And from the WoG I posted, it would seem like the area past the First Gate is a High 1-B location

Yeah but literally in the same paragraph it says "beyond the dimensions we know". And from the WoG I posted, it would seem like the area past the First Gate is a High 1-B location
Beyond dimensions we know could be referring to something completely different than spatial dimensions.

In through the gates of the silver key there are multiple Gates potentially infinite. It depends on how one specific quote is interpreted. I am unfortunately too lazy to post it.
Other than that. For example I brought up the non dimensional entities from Space-Eaters. I was hoping to find shit from places other than TtGoftSK

Beyond dimensions we know could be referring to something completely different than spatial dimensions.
Yeah but that's stretching it. I don't think there have been non spatial hierarchical dimensions in Lovecraft. Plus the WoG thing. Also do you have discord?

Other than that. For example I brought up the non dimensional entities from Space-Eaters. I was hoping to find shit from places other than TtGoftSK
Well, there is a short story called "the Trap" co written by Lovecraft which talks about a "Mirror" and how you can access multiple dimensions through it. There is also a interesting statement about the mirror being "Pan-Dimentional" too.

Keep in mind that the Mirror only works in a single universe.

Yeah but that's stretching it. I don't think there have been non spatial hierarchical dimensions in Lovecraft. Plus the WoG thing. Also do you have discord?
For one, vacua aren't spatial. And there is "limitless" amount of them so yeah.

gigachad#6508

Rober E Howard has some "Turtles all the way down" shit i think. But i don't know much about conan and kull though

"From some inconceivable vantage-point he looked upon prodigious forms whose multiple extensions transcended any conception of being, size, and boundaries which his mind had hitherto been able to hold, despite a lifetime of cryptical study."

That's from Randolph Carter pov, isn't it?

On a slighty different topic, I'd like to know why he doesn't have a profile anymore

Yeah

Regarding Randolph Carter, he is Tier 0 his profile is currently deleted because It need a cleanup

We could make the argument that the dimensions going up to High 1-A if you take Kull's "universes within universes" thing liberally enough.
We don't use Kull for tiering.

Back