• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Creepypasta- Urban Legend or Fan Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the Creepypasta isn't a OC based on anything already existing, then it technically isn't a fan-character, it's just a regular character that happens to be in a Creepypasta.

Antvasima said:
Well, again, if we continue to allow fan-characters.
His origin was fan-made but now, he belongs to a Videogame Franchise.

Also, a better idea is create a page for the CKB verse as other kaiju verses in vs battles (Godzilla,Ultraman, Gamera, Pacific Rim etc) instead of put him as a Mythology character.

Well, now that I think about it, I vaguely recall that the reason why we allowed SCP characters in the first place, is that they had appeared in some official releases such as video games. Still, it depends on whether or not these characters are obscure or reasonably notable.

Antvasima said:
Well, now that I think about it, I vaguely recall that the reason why we allowed SCB characters in the first place, is that they had appeared in some official releases such as video games. Still, it depends on whether or not these characters are obscure or reasonably notable.
I'd say Slenderman falls into that category so would jeff possible Jane

Well, I am very conflicted about cases such as this, given that we should preferably focus on characters from actual coherent and notable storylines, not from YouTube videos, memes, and the like. We have to draw the line somewhere, to not be overwhelmed with nonsense.

Antvasima said:
Well, I am very conflicted about cases such as this, given that we should preferably focus on characters from actual coherent and notable storylines, not from YouTube videos, memes, and the like. We have to draw the line somewhere, to not be overwhelmed with nonsense.
But you have Pages for Ruby and Red vs Blue

Darkmon cns said:
Antvasima said:
But you have Pages for Ruby and Red vs Blue
RWBY and RvB arent strictly Youtube series though, and they have an actual storyline

Well, as I mentioned, I am torn about it. On the one hand they may be notable enough, on the other, if they do not have actual storylines, they are more memes than actual characters.

Antvasima said:
Well, as I mentioned, I am torn about it. On the one hand they may be notable enough, on the other, if they do not have actual storylines, they are more memes than actual characters.
Well they do in there many interprets in the video games.

I'm not too fond of the idea myself, then again i may be a bit biased as i find Creepypasta to be mindlessly edgy with little to no quality.

RWBY with its notability, worldwide popularity, renown professionals' work on it and adaptation into other forms of media is much more comparable to the One Punch Man webcomic, than other internet originating things like YouTube shorts and memes.

I myself am torn on the Slenderman issue, but I do agree with Matt and others that as a whole Creepypastas shouldn't be allowed or encouraged on the site.

If someone really wants to make a profile for said characters badly, they can always go to the Joke Battles Wiki. Despite the name, serious profiles based on YouTube videos, personalities, etc are also allowed, if they're not here.

Ryukama said:
RWBY with its notability, worldwide popularity, renown professionals' work on it and adaptation into other forms of media is much more comparable to the One Punch Man webcomic, then other internet originating things like YouTube shorts and memes.

I myself am torn on the Slenderman issue, but I do agree with Matt, and others that as a whole Creepypastas shouldn't be allowed or encouraged on the site.

If someone really wants to make a profile for said characters badly, they can always go to the Joke Battles Wiki. Despite the name, serious profiles based on YouTube videos, personalities, etc are also allowed, if they're not here.
2 why not?

So, what do the rest of the staff think that we should do about the SCP Foundation characters?

Ryukama wrote If someone really wants to make a profile for said characters badly, they can always go to the Joke Battles Wiki. Despite the name, serious profiles based on YouTube videos, personalities, etc are also allowed, if they're not here.

If you want to recommend another Wiki I suggest this one https://fcoc-vs-battles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity?useskin=oasis

@ ant if you do remove THE SCP is there any they could be moved here first? https://fcoc-vs-battles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity?useskin=oasis By the way it's cross's Wiki it's not that big yet

Well, I think that meme characters are better suited to being moved to Ryukama's wiki, but it depends on if the rest of the staff think that they should be moved in the first place.

I honestly dont have a problem with Creeypastas if they have a coherent canon, they would be akin to modern mythology. Creepypastas based off of pre-existing games/stories i would have to say no to though.

Antvasima said:
Well, I think that meme characters are better suited to being moved to Ryukama's wiki, but it depends on if the rest of the staff think that they should be moved in the first place.
Well the Creepypastas aren't really memes at worst I'd say it would fall into fanfiction and the SCP definitely isn't memes no.

Well, there is a danger of going down a slippery slope of allowing increasingly obscure and irrelevant material though.

Antvasima said:
Well, there is a danger of going down a slippery slope though.
Well we could try a composite of the official release games and the original Creepypastas and sequels by the original author

I also dislike the idea of creepypasta being allowed here. it's certainly not comparable to say, RWBY which is much more notable

I don't get why ban Creepypastas because they're made on the internet, I mean, of course we're not going to add memes or youtube celebrities to the wiki, that would be stupid, but I don't get why people think that: "Originated on the internet = Fan-made, OC or meme", this makes no sense. Ok, there are those stupid "Lost episode" kind of Creepypasta, but there are also some Creepypastas with original characters and original backstories, and they're just like any other movie character or game character.

Antvasima said:
Well, there is a danger of going down a slippery slope of allowing increasingly obscure and irrelevant material though.
Perhaps a strict guideline so people know exactly what is and is not allowed? I understand that we are trying to be as professional as possible here, maybe just allow widely known characters with known canon and coherent storylines? Characters that are strictly meme based would absolutely not be allowed here, but not all Creepypastas are based around memes.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
I don't get why ban Creepypastas because they're made on the internet, I mean, of course we're not going to add memes or youtube celebrities to the wiki, that would be stupid, but I don't get why people think that: "Originated on the internet = Fan-made, OC or meme", this makes no sense. Ok, there are those stupid "Lost episode" kind of Creepypasta, but there are also some Creepypastas with original characters and original backstories, and they're just like any other movie character or game character.
Exactly at worst they should be here https://fcoc-vs-battles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity?useskin=oasis

Oh my... just make what I propose before "create a Colossal Kaiju Combat verse".

Red was made in a crepy, but he is now a character from a videogame franchise.

I personally think that banning Creepypastas would be like banning book characters, books are words written on a paper, and Creepypastas are words written on a internet page, is that difference really enough to ban Creepypastas?

@WeeklyBattles I think that we do have a rule about this, but if the staff wants to help out by inspecting and expanding upon it, that would be appreciated.

@Paulo As far as I understand, Creepypastas do not have any notable storylines that they are a part of. They are just character profiles without any depth behind them. Anybody can write a character profile for a concept. Writing a popular original story featuring the character is a different issue entirely.

Antvasima said:
@WeeklyBattles I think that we do have a rule about this, but if the staff wants to help out by inspecting and expanding upon it, that would be appreciated.

@Paulo As far as I understand, Creepypastas do not have any notable storylines that they are a part of. They are just character profiles without any depth behind them. Anybody can write a character profile for a concept. Writing a popular original story featuring the character is a different issue entirely.
2 no there are concrete story's in the video games.

And are the video games any popular/notable? This is the first time that I have heard about them.

Antvasima said:
And are the video games any popular/notable? This is the first time that I have heard about them.
Slender was extremely popular a few years ago, but thats the only one i can think of at the moment...

A bit of input.

The reason some SCP profiles are allowed here is beause, despite different authors, they originate from a website that has a substantial amount of quality control and community dedicated to keeping things in-line with existing lore, along with deleting pages that aren't well written. On top of that, only very notable SCPs that have been around for a long time and are well known in the community are allowed on this site. No-name SCPs of little notability should not be added.

If a Creepypasta character has a consistent lore and canon that has some form of stability and is not merely added to by any and everyone, I would not have a problem with them being here. Others should not be added, especially not Creepypasta characters based on a preexisting franchise.

@WeeklyBattles Is the game featuring Slender Man any popular, and does he have any coherent story within it? Or is he mostly just a popular meme character?

@Azathoth I think that you make sense, but, as I mentioned, I am conflicted about this, given that I do not think that this wiki should be about meme characters without a storyline.

Antvasima said:
@Azathoth Well, as I mentioned, I am conflicted about this, given that I do not think that this wiki should be about meme characters without a storyline.
A character with actually established lore from an actual well known and published story or game would not be a meme character, which are the only ones I said I was OK with having.

Well, okay. I suppose that I agree then.

"An Internet meme is a cultural phenomenon that spreads from one person to another online." Copypastas, are technically memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back