• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Creepypasta- Urban Legend or Fan Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Alright, recently I spent a few hours compiling all the stuff to upload Red, a kaiju-based Creepypasta character, to the wiki. I've seen him used in battles before, so why not? Well, unfortunately, Creepypastas are blocked on this site as they are considered "Fan Fiction". Why?

Let me elaborate. I understand that there ARE Creepypastas that can be easily construed as fan fiction- typically these are the uncreative ones so I don't mind that so much, so I don't expect to see the billions of PokePastas or BEN Drowned on here, or even Red, because even though he has his own game, he originally popped up in something Godzilla-related, so I don't mind if people say "FAN FICTION" on that.

So that's not what I mean. I mean the legitimate urban legends that are not "fan fiction" of anything, just creative concepts that got ridiculously popular over time. Slender Man, for instance, is NOT fan fiction- it was the thing that allowed Creepypasta to even GET recognition and it is now widely referred to as an urban legend. Other good examples would be Zalgo, The Rake, Seed Eater, etc etc. These are original ideas that got immensely popular and should be included on this wiki. So why are they referred to as fan fiction? Is it because they were categorized along with the other Pastas that were based on existing fiction?

EDIT: I must state, I am NOT a huge Creepypasta fan. I prefer SCP, which leads me to this comparison: If all Creepypastas are considered fan fiction because they spawned from one original idea (Slender Man), then aren't ALL SCP pages fan fiction because they spawned from one original idea (SCP-173)? This question is already answered on this wiki, simply not applied to Creepypasta yet.

Alright, good. I'd like to get this highlighted to get some input.

I know.

While I did highlight this thread I have to disagree.

Most of these "urban legends" if you can call it that, have no clear canon or official recognition. Not to mention, are generally featless and aren't really important/notable.

But that's not entirely true. It's just the same as with SCPs (notably SCP-682). People have built up canon and feats for them by way of popular fiction, just as is the method of SCP. SCP-682 is considered universal level based on The Lucky Dinosaur piece of lore, which is widely accepted for him as canon. Yes? Doesn't the same go for these characters, like Rake's ability to have mid-low Regenerationn and darkness manipulation in one of the stories?

@Dark "So?"

As in, because of no official recognition or established canon, the fanfic of the original idea or series can easily be confused as canon. Furthermore, the profiles would generally be devoid of any real or notable information.

@Mr.Bambu You don't say? And there's no offical canon?

Note: I'm currently still against having SCPs here. And the information you're bringing into light is making me believe that SCPS shouldn't be here even more

SomebodyData said:
So?

As in, because of no official recognition or established canon, the fanfic of the original idea or series can easily be confused as canon. Furthermore, the profiles would generally be devoid of any real or notable information.
refer to what bambu said

SomebodyData said:
@Dark "So?"

Note: I'm currently still against having SCPs here. And the information you're bringing into light is making me believe that SCPS shouldn't be here even more
basicly your against the logic being used to have them here

So, what if we used only the original Creepypasta where the character were created and sequels by the same author, and ignore all the rest? Could this count as a "Canon"?

SomebodyData said:
ok.

If what you guys are saying is correct, then yes.
well The logic being used is being used for other profiles so I suggest you talk to someone about those profiles currently on here as if it being used for those profiles I see no reason it cant be for the creeppast ones.

Creepypasta is something that has no discernable canon or continuity, anyone can add whatever they want to the "lore".

The difference is that Public Domain characters have a real canon, while Creepypastas don't seem to have any canon at all. Even if we did add them most them would likely be Unknown.

SomebodyData said:

No. I'm telling you the official canon is written by the writers wanting to make it canon and agreed upon by the community when it is allowed to be published. The same goes for Creepypasta.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Public Domain has a real canon, and you need to be approved to write for the SCP Website, not everyone can do it.
He is correct, and the same extends to Creepypasta. Your story needs to be approved prior to being allowed on the site. Any characters it includes, then that is held to be canon for them.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
Really? How does it work? I thought anyone could just use them to do whatever.
It depends on the site. Sites like the Creepypasta Wiki have a weird way of handling it, but they're the biggest depository; luckily they don't need considering as they don't allow runoffs of popular characters.

Basically, the site owner (or admin) must go through the story, tear it apart and whatnot, and approve it to show up on the actual Creepypasta site. This is why there are only a few hundred pages on there whereas the Wiki has more than ten thousand.

In regards to Public Domain canon, let's take for instance, The Wizard of Oz.

Oz was created by L. Frank Baum in 1900 with the novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Baum later wrote about 20 novels either as sequels, prequels or side-stories set in the Oz Universe. You could call that the "Wizard of Oz Canon"

Every single other novel writen by someone other than him, published after his death and work went into the Public Domain would not be treated as canonical.

So, could we refer to the original version of Creepypasta as canon, or contact the original writers for their ideas (I know a few of them)?

So we'd rather not get the information on a site meant for providing information on such things for characters that are not only WORLD FAMOUS (much more so than many characters on this wiki) but known to be used in Vs events.

In my opinion, Creepypasta characters are characters like any other, and unless they're OCs from other shows, they're not really fanfiction, so, I don't see the problem in them having profiles if we use their original versions, but it's your wiki, you guys do whatever you want.

I agree with Paulo. Blocking these characters from being here is biased if they aren't truly fan fiction.

Can we consider characters like Sun Wukong and Cthulhu to be public domain? If so, then we should treat Creepypasta as such and have diffrent profiles based on where they originated from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back