• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Conversion Beamer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressure isn't measured in joules, the energy in the sun's core is 250 billion atmospheres. This is 25 billion MPa or 25 quadrillion newtons per square metre. A 100 kiloton nuke would have a radius of around 1300 metres with ablast pressure of 20 psi. 20 psi is about 138,000 newtons per square metre. This is about 182 billion times lower than the sun's core. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but by taking the square root of this difference, we can calculate the distance at which this pressure would increase to match the sun's core, if at all.

1.3 km / (Square route of 182,000,000,000) = about 3mm. So this is the distance from the reaction itself at which the pressure would be comparable to the sun's core... I think.

Also pressure by its very nature is a matter of force divided by area, so there's no way any calculation could give a concrete number for taking the sun's pressure without getting an area for whatever was doing the tanking.

I can vaguely remember a calc that accounted for TOTAL energy in joules based on pressure for a normal human found out that it would take around tier 6 dura to survive. This isn't really important though and I guess you'd be right if the reactions could take place in a very small area. However, if you're right next to the (shell? is that what it's called) of a nuke it is still very large so it wouldn't be able to focus into a small area. You have to remember that the bomb itself where the reactions take place is WELL over a yard in diameter.

Anyways I probably shouldn't have brought that up. The point is that just because plasma has one property of plasma in the sun's core doesn't mean it has any of the other properties, because there is no strict relationship between pressure and temperature.. My example was to point out that this logic could lead to inflated results, like tier 6 dura for surviving a nuke with a 1,000,000 C fireball.

That is a fair point and I agree with the principle, however we also need to consider two things; 1. Plasma fire is regularly compared to miniature suns, this MIGHT not just be I temperature.

2. The process at which the hydrogen is heated is done using a "fusion core" so we can assume a similar reaction is going on.

We could use the density of hydrogen in a real-world fusion reactor instead, though I sense it may be harder to find.

If they're called miniature suns then why do they necessarily have the same density as the core specifically? I'm not sure exactly what to make of it to be honest. Also, I'm pretty sure that today there are no fusion reactors that actually make a net gain in energy.

Them being called miniature suns, as well as their temperature being comparable to the core, was considered sufficient reason to use the core's density. I personally am on the fence about it.

And fusion reactors don't need to make a net gain in energy for us to use them as a basis for the property of hydrogen inside said reactor. The fusion reaction is still occurring, it's just rubbish. The best example of a sustained fusion reaction I can think of is amusingly the sun.

Yes because 38,000 years in the future they would still be concerned with such a problem when they've got artillery that can cook entire continents.

I think this is just overthinking it, again.

I've been absent from this as I have been trying to find feats to rescale High 6-C to, but no matter where I've looked so far I've gotten zilch definitely.

Terminator armour was based on suits designed to work inside dusion reactors wasn't it? I may be misremembering but I think it's a bit silly to assume The Imperium doesn't have efficient fusion reactors considering their general mastery of plasma and ridiculous technological advancement.

Again, I also think it's irrelevant since even an inefficient reaction can be used as a basis for the plasma pistol calc.

The armor is actually a combination of standard Power armor, Dreadnought plate (Tactical Dreadnought armor and all), along with heavy suits used by engineers in nuclear reactor cores for maintenance. So not really fusion reactors, but even if they were, there's a big difference between a civilian-intended technology and a military one.

Yeah, I'm just discussing the validity of the plasma pistol calculation. Either way the density of a fusion reaction could be used imo.

So I just spoke with a former calc group member and he told me the 8-C Marine calc is totally valid, even accounting for terminal velocity and the like, and got almost the exact same results. So that's staying.

Which calc group member said this? Just want clarification because usually terminal velocity prevents people from falling faster than Subsonic speeds unless they're thrown at speeds greater than terminal velocity prior to re-entry. Or if gravity is stronger than Earth's among other things.

Then again, the fact that 200 kilometers starting position was still considered possible alone should indicate that the gravity is stronger than Earth's.

I used this calculator

https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1271595050

Assuming he is 1000 kilograms and using a distance of 200,000 meters, I get 1,470,997,500 joules

Also how is the Conversion Beamer not High 6-C? As much as I would love to downgrade it, mass energy conversio nis mass energy conversion, is there some form of psyker reality warping hax involved with it?

That calculator didn't quite take air resistance into account; using this versio and Air resistance of Earth is 1.2754 kg/m^3 on top of the things brought up. Terminal Velocity was 87.687387555644 m/s. Which comes out to 0.5 * 1000 kg * (87.687387555644 m/s)^2 = 3,844,538.97 Joules.

This calculator however is more detailed. AS it makes use of Cross sectional area and Drag Coefficient. I person with a height of 7'6" would have a CA of 1.67 m^2 not going to use BMI calculators as that doesn't distinct body fate from muscle and bone density Just comparing the height to an average 177 cm tall human. (228.6/177)^2 * 0.68 gets that result. We get a terminal velocity of 116.438 m/s. Which would make the result slightly higher, but still Wall level.

If the gravity is stronger than Earth, or if there's no air resistance, then the calc is fine though.

As for the Mass Energy Conversion statement, it would actually be a higher degree of High 6-C; though for converting the entire tank, Mass Energy Conversion would also indicate that it negates durability unless the enemy has great resistance to matter manipulation. Though, it may not fully scale to durability unless either the energy is concentrated (Which I think it is) or if the target has enough mass to take the full impact.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
We get a terminal velocity of 95.9608 m/s. Which would make the result slightly higher, but still Wall level.

If the gravity is stronger than Earth, or if there's no air resistance, then the calc is fine though.
Yes. Either someone is deliberately lying about accounting for terminal velocity, or someone was just being really irresponsible. The page literally states that it calculates free fall energy "without air resistance." There are other calculators on the exact same website that do account for air resistance if you just look at the "Related Calculator" column.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
As for the Mass Energy Conversion statement, it would actually be a higher degree of High 6-C; though, Mass Energy Conversion would also indicate that it negates durability unless the enemy has great resistance to matter manipulation. Though, it may not fully scale to durability unless either the energy is concentrated (Which I think it is) or if the target has enough mass to take the full impact.
I'm pretty sure the source said that the entire target was converted into energy. I could go back and check.

I don't quite think it's right to accuse people of lying, but more or less they didn't quite know about the significance before hand.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I don't quite think it's right to accuse people of lying, but more or less they didn't quite know about the significance before hand.
I know. That is why I said "Either." I can't seem to remember any particular times, but there have been some times in this wiki or just whowouldwin stuff in general where people lie to try to prove their point (especially on youtube). I haven't been in this wiki for a long time so I can't help but go with my impression from youtube.

Prove their point as in? I didn't think air resistance would be that major, I doubt Matt did either

Just gonna slide right in here to say Gorro is a planet made by the Orks out of sticking more stuff to an already existing giant asteroid.

I do agree, Gorro definitely does not' have the same geography as Earth. And the fact that 200 kilometers is within the gravity does kind of indicate it also has stronger gravity than Earth, but if it doesn't have oxygen or other such air, then the calc might be okay.

But DonTalk did go over that people falling from Earth's orbit isn't really all that impressive unless they were legit launched or thrown at great speeds before the re-entry. The main reason meteors are as fast as they are was because they legit moved at great speeds before entering Earth's atmosphere. Would be better if there was confirmed details about Gorro's mass, diameter, gravity, air, ect.

Well none of the characters seem to make any note of it's gravity being any different from that of Earth.

FanofRPGs said:
Prove their point as in? I didn't think air resistance would be that major, I doubt Matt did either
Air resistance is a HUGE factor. It can make the difference between the calculated building level to the much lower wall level result when accounting for air resistance and terminal velocity, because the space marine would stop accelerating outright in the first few kilometers.

Crabwhale said:
Just gonna slide right in here to say Gorro is a planet made by the Orks out of sticking more stuff to an already existing giant asteroid.
Reminder this is still a thing.

Gorro seems to have near perfect Earth equivalent gravity, but if it has an atmosphere or not is debatable, as neither Orks nor Marines would care for it (kind of important when you're thinking of creating a whole planet).

So in other words, we don't know if the 8-C calc is valid or not, but probably not usable.

Hmm

Did all of the Marines that went to it have helmets?

Actually, you know what would make it way easier

Do their guns work

If they can fire a bolter, there has to be atmosphere to allow for fire and thereby the explosion that launches the round then causes another explosion

Bolts are like small rockets and I'm pretty sure they've been fired in space and in worse places like daemon worlds and the warp before.

Bolters are designed to work even if there's no atmosphere and all that stuff; though, it would be a good question if the Marines needed helmets at all times to survive.

Keep Occam's razor in mind. If there is no evidence for either and there is an equal chance that:

Gorro has absolutely no atmosphere and space marines are 8-C

or

Gorro has an atmosphere and space marines are 9-B

I'd have to go with the latter. But then again, there may be some evidence that point towards gorro not having an atmosphere that you have right now, so I won't jump to conclusions yet.

Hmm, I see. If neither the marines nor orcs need oxygen, then it seems uncontroversial for Gorro to not have an atmosphere. If it's just an Asteroid with stuff added, then sure. Though one last thing, are there plants on Gorro, if there are, we might need to downgrade the feat to 9-B and use the next best feat, and if not, the 8-C feat should be usable.

I have not read the book this is from admittedly, so I dunno what to tell ya. This is just surface-scale information I'm giving you.

libgen is a thing. I'm reading 1 less book rn so I can see about doing something there

What about orcs? Source on orcs not needing oxygen? I've looked up the answer but I can't find a source.

I'm not familiar with the verse, and not sure if the orcs have a profile; at least not as a civilization profile. But if there is, that might have some evidence on the Self Sustenance type 1 thing.

I'd assume not, given orks fighting in the open warp and being okay, orks spreading to other planets while (usually) not really having airlock technology, and their whole "everyone is a latent reality warper" thing. I wouldn't really be surprised if they stay alive just because they think they should, air or no air. I could look for some specifics later though

Alright, then the "No air" theory might still be fine; Gorro was literally just an asteroid that had some constructs added to it so I heard? Also, the face that 200 kilometers appears to be within the gravitation range implies the gravity should be at least slightly stronger than Earth's. As on Earth, anything above 160 kilometers would just be floating in space.

I feel like a giant asteroid made of scrap metal would be the one you need to prove has an atmosphere considering it's not even a normal planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back