• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Construction Ability 2.0

KieranH10

VS Battles
Retired
Ok so last year I proposed an ability called Construction in this thread
Shortly after, I brought a full discussion up through this thread, where many users debated whether or not it should exist.
The concept got pretty far, even eventually getting a beta blog showing how it would look once uploaded.

Most people who replied seemed to agree that the power was fine, but there were also those who didn't, eventually the thread died out due to lack of attention, and the debate never got a conclusion.

This thread will hopefully revive the discussion after all this time, but first, a short summary of where we are currently:

• Construction is an ability that, while similar to Preparation, should not be confused with it.
  • Construction relates to a characters ability to build in the heat of a battle, not requiring given time before said battle to apply their builds or whatnot.
  • It should not be given to any character who could build something, and should not be given to average builders who can build stuff in say, a week or so, it should only be given to those who can construct large bases or other in seconds to minutes, as any longer is not combat applicable and would be held under Preparation. So characters such as The Player (Fortnite), and Steve would be the kinds of people to get it, those who can build at supernatural speeds.
  • It should also be noted that characters who get construction could also have Preparation, simply due to the similar nature of the power, but characters who explicitly need time to build, would only have Preparation.
And to keep track this time (Not counting those from earlier threads as opinions may have changed):
Those who agree with this: Ican'tthinkof1goodname
Those who do not: Efficiente, ThisThingisReallyBroken

Last edited:
This power should get another name, it could be confused with being the opposite of Deconstruction.

Another name would be fine, not sure what else it could be changed to tho.

It would be somewhat similar to creation, but would focus more on actual structures, rather than objects, Creation doesn't often focus on this kind of usage, and these feats are dialed down to Preparation, or even in some cases, Matter Manipulation.

Construction would be some kind of a midpoint between the two, but a distinct separate power, focussing on actually building a structure in a supernatural time, not creating it from nothing, often needing some kinds of resources.

From the description related to the small duration of time needed, it sounds a lot like this kind of thing would already be covered by creation or matter manipulation. And if not, why can't it be just speed+intelligence?

You could have the same argument with Preparation though, as it could also be covered by simple intelligence feats.

The Player from Fortnite or Minecraft for example, clearly do not Manipulate the matter around them to build, they're simply building normally at hugely accelerated speeds, both of which are capable of creating large buildings in minutes if they chose to. Another example would be Emmet from the Lego Movie and other Lego characters. Emmet in this scene (Crappy quality aside), uses the resources around him to create a huge mech in the span of seconds, clearly not supernaturally manipulating the matter or creating any new matter, simply building at an accelerated rate.

Okay, but wouldn't that fall under intelligence+speed? Prep is pretty different and unrelated to this.

I mean is it? Prep is simply a power given to characters who have intelligence and skill feats that allow them to build something before a battle, be it a weapon or a base.

This is a power for characters with similar capabilities, but those who don't require the extra time before a battle, as they are capable of it during the fight, with the ability commonly being used to help during the fight. Mainly focussing on the Structural side of it, as Weapon Creation does already exist.

You could have the same argument with Preparation though, as it could also be covered by simple intelligence feats.
By that logic then any amount of words in the dictionary can become powers. Preparation is pretty redundant but not worth removing, it's no point of comparison. Your power also lies, the in-battle limitations have nothing to do with what the word Construction means, we only have a few other powers that lie like that and those are in process of getting fixed, do I need to explain why this is a bad thing?

That isn't true though, Preparation is used to make it clear that a character is capable of preparing before a fight, Preparation, in a way, is less of a power than Construction will be, Preparation is literally just a way to say "This character is capable of making things." Construction would be "This character can build fortified bases in a matter of seconds"

Construction is just the name, if that's an argument against the power then we can change that.

Counted. But Creation focusses on actually creating things from nothing. Not using already existing materials to build.

I mean is it? Prep is simply a power given to characters who have intelligence and skill feats that allow them to build something before a battle, be it a weapon or a base.

This is a power for characters with similar capabilities, but those who don't require the extra time before a battle, as they are capable of it during the fight, with the ability commonly being used to help during the fight. Mainly focussing on the Structural side of it, as Weapon Creation does already exist.
Okay, but I never asked for how it is different than creation. All I said was that most of what it entails can be covered by creation or matter manipulation, and the leftover stuff you talked about can be just intelligence + speed.

Like, if a guy can construct building at super speed, that just boils down to his intelligence and knowledge when it comes to construction plus his super-fast speed. Why does it need to be another ability? I mean, the guy is just fast and good at construction related things.

Because there's characters on the wiki who don't have this noted, so newcomers may not know what a character can do. Much like other powers we have, it is simply to explain a characters capabilities. Intelligence and Speed would not specify what a character can do building-wise.

Anyone can write that in the profile's Notable Attacks & Techniques, elaborating there while beforehand writing in the Standard Tactics how they build things in combat. Adding a power to a profile says nothing of what the character does in combat, nor would that show anyway all the sh*t they can do with it like an elaboration in the Notable Attacks & Techniques, have you see any fighting game character with a lot of gifs of the diverse h2h attacks they can do there? No one was ever stopping anyone from not having this mid-battle construction thing mentioned on profiles, people were just not seeing the full scope of things.

I will repeat, we could do the exact same thing with Preparation, just leave a note on their profile stating "This character can create technologies that may help before a battle" but we don't do that, we made a page for Preparation as if it's a power, Construction would be a power, unless the average builder can build at the speed shown in the likes of Fortnite.

This stuff can also be noted in the intelligence section. I don't know why you're comparing it with prep. Prep is something that is MUCH more widespread thing in fiction. Construction is not. In fact, you can just mention construction in the prep page imo.

I'm also fine with changing prep to involve something along these lines. It was one of the proposals in the original threads.

Back