• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Composite Superman is now canon?

Hello everyone, I know someone who told me the following thing:

"So in DC today Pre Crisis, Post Crisis and New 52 were combined again and now all the characters have the powers and feats from all 3 in the main singular canon".

Do you think that means Superman (and other characters in DC) really have powers and feats from their pre and post crisis counterpart? If that's the case, that's totally OP.

From what I remember, the Post-Crisis Superman explicitly stated that his powers are nowhere near as high as they used to be before reality was changed, which fits with that the feats have also been nowhere near as high in the last 4 years.

Yup I know post crisis is less strong than pre crisis and new52 is less strong than post crisis.

Knowing differences between each version of Superman are really huge, I asked the guy who told me about that how they (DC comics) justified a possible composite Superman because like you said, Reality was changed etc ... and he told me this (Copy paste. Those are not my words):

"basicallyhow the timeline was was Pre crisis stuff happened, COIE happened something in it retconing away Pre stuff, Post stuff happens, Flash ***** it up, Manhattan and Oz fix it by and take 10 years which is 52, removing hope

this Rebirth put those 10 years back into the timeline and the part of COIE that took Pre Crisis away was removed, and none of the things that contradict matter cause DC gods make it work, making a full composite DC

it basically being like they all woke up and suddenly had memories powers and stats from the other versions".

Apparently it's some really really recent stuff in DC and if that's confirmed, does this mean composite Superman (with powers of pre/post crisis and new52 at the same time) might be canon now?

I personally hope not because readers evolved since the time it was funny to have an ultra OP Superman for an extended period, and I think most of them would be quickly tired if Superman became once again the Ultra OP/haxed character he was before.

Jumping the shark. We need to let rebirth play out a lot more before even considering that. Current Action Comics arc might touch on this, as it seems Red Sun Superman is teaming up with Post Crisis, because someone is capturing alternative versions of the character.

Due to the nature of comics, I'd say a minimal of a year is needed to really understand what DC is doing with the character.

I also think that we need to let events play out more to get an understanding of their current power levels.

However, basically Doctor Manhatta manipulated the DC timeline, merged it with parts of Wildstorm and Vertigo, removed 10 years, and manipulated history, and how their universe fundamentally worked.

Also add to that Superman, Parralax, Silver Age-Super girl and Barry Allen supposedly prevented the original Crisis, with the aid of Ultimate Brainiac, and you have a piled on mystery with a lot of questions that need answered.

More like a convoluted mess that likely cannot be rationally solved.

I think you're right. We should wait to see what DC has in mind but yeah right now it's hard to see how they're going to justify all that.

Worth pointing out that Swamp Thing supposedly restored Superman to full strength, rendering him just as strong as he once was.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Worth pointing out that Swamp Thing supposedly restored Superman to full strength, rendering him just as strong as he once was.
Just read Superman Anual, that was pretty awesome.

Still wanna know what up with him Blue palming things.

I always kind of thought that Post-Crisis Superman and new 52 Superman are two completely different characters. New 52 Superman died and it was the Post Crisis Superman who took his place. So whatever feats New 52 Superman has, he took it to the grave.

Yeah I know that. It's just that, if I remember correctly Post Crisis Supes ended up in the New 52 world, a short time before the death of New 52 Superman.

Ah okay. So he existed together with New 52 Superman all along, but hidden in plain sight. Basically making them two separate characters.

Hmm, although I would very much like to see my favourite version of Superman restored to full strength, I only had the impression that Swamp Thing made him more attuned to the new reality he inhabits, and helped him to let go of the past.

I will wait for the main Rebirth Story to continue and we get more details, but it is worth noting that Wally West is also back, and they are treating him as being just as powerful as he once was as Kid Flash, and the return of the Titans not as characters from different continuities missing, but the same characters from before.

Okay. It is just that Superman's feats so far have been pretty unimpressive, and he even stated outright himself that he is not as powerful as he once was.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that previous New 52 stories have portrayed the Sun God Apollo as being immensely above both Superman and Wonder Woman, when in comparison Post-Crisis has a lot of Star and Solar System level feats.

Well, not a lot of them that I know of. During "Our Worlds At War", it was even treated as a big deal that he could move planets again.

Meanwhile in JLA Superman goes and absorbs enough "Anti-Sunlight Energy" to blow up half a galaxy. And then in Final Crisis he lifts infinite tons.

So yeah, it's inconsistent.

Agreed. We had to try to find some kind of high feat that was not a complete outlier to scale from.

From what I gathered Myxy never mentioned anything concerning Pre-Crisis Superman just that the Post-Crisis and New 52 are actually the two halves of the same coin because of Flash messing with the timeline Superman was split up into the Red part and the Blue part

But yeah, Superman is now a complete composite between Post-Crisis and New 52. This is yet more evidence that New 52 is just as strong.

@Matt

But I still recall Supes being weaker in the Rebirth continuity. I think we should wait on some more Rebirth feats before we start scaling. That said, I've only been following Superman, Action Comics, and Super Sons, so if there's anything I'm missing feel free to drop it.

Well, the New 52 version was never shown as remotely as strong, and may currently be a redundant profile in any case.

Back