• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Composite books and games feats for Geralt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days ago in this thread Geralt has been granted Sleep Manipulation with Somne Sign. Yet when I proposed the same addition in my own thread a year ago, it has been declined based on the fact that Somne is a thing only in the books (one book to be specific).

Does this mean that we're supposed to treat the Geralt of Rivia (Video Games) profile as composite version of Geralt from the books and CD Projekt games? I think it's about time we make this clear once and for all...

Well, I already made a thread where I explained that books are completely canon to games and basically this Geralt is a composite.

This is something I've been curious about. Are the books and games 100% canon to eachother? If I remember correctly, I've heard they diverge with certain points and details, but I don't remember anything specific. If they do, then compositing him isn't appropriate, but otherwise it's fine.

It got some twists like Regis surviving encounter with Vilgefortz et cetera, but it's even on game discs that the game is based on books and their own interpretation of what happened next after them

So we should split up the profiles to books (main canon), games, and TV series then? Are there any members here who are willing to handle it?

After I finish all the books I could do the books profile, haven't watched Netflix series yet though. But I still believe books abilities should be on VG Geralt's profiles since even Sapkowski mentioned it's their own interpretation of what happened AFTER books, not during books.

I am fine with scaling the game version from the original book canon, but not vice versa, and there is obviously no stress with creating profiles for the TV series before you have watched it.

I'm also currently in the process of watching the TV Series, but I'd definitely say the TV Series should be split up from the books and games. Again, my knowledge is a bit rusty, but I'm almost certain it's wayyyy before the events of any of the games and it seems like it has a few plot points that I'm pretty sure were exclusive to the TV Series. I might look into making profiles for the TV Series when I've finished it/

I've watched the series and I already created a thread to discuss about. I am also playing the 3rd game to know more about the story. I am not a fan of splitting his profile into Games and Books version, but I don't care too much.

Netflix The Witcher really needs its own profile, there are some good feats like Witches reacting to lightning and some good feats of Geralt using Aard to break a floor

Okay. I think that the book author also mentioned that the TV series is doing its own thing. He was happy about the acting skills of Henry Cavill (the main character actor) in any case.

The books and games are very different, so they should stay seperate.

> there are some good feats like Witches reacting to lightning

I assume you're talking about the part where they stand stationary on a platform in order to catch lightning in a bottle?

The TV series is doing its own thing, yes, but everything comes from the books. In The Witcher 3, when Geralt and Yennefer are doing some quest together, Geralt remembers the day where Dandelion (Yesker) almost "lost his voice" because of the Djinn, that's where Geralt and Yennefer met. Showing that games and TV series follow the main canon, the book.

It is almost the same thing as Game Of Thrones, if I remember, we use TV series and book feats to scale the characters. Just take a look at the name of the verse (book names) and the image of the characters profile. Maybe we can do the same with The Witcher, that's a possibility

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
I assume you're talking about the part where they stand stationary on a platform in order to catch lightning in a bottle?
When Yennefer attacks the other woman (forgot her name) with the lightning, she reacted and reflected the attack back to the sky

M3X said:
When Yennefer attacks the other woman (forgot her name) with the lightning, she reacted and reflected the attack back to the sky
When it was Yennefer's turn she failed to catch the lightning but was able to tank the blow.

The scene you're talking about is when she channels a ball of lightning from her hand in anger and Tissaia deflects it. And if I recall balls of lightning aren't accepted as lightning speed.

The way that scene was depicted definitely implied that it was meant to be treated the same as the lightning depicted, though I'm not 100% certain if it meets standards. I'll have to look more into it.

I also think this should still be lightning speed, because its just just lightning inside a bottle, and shape isn't related to the speed of the lightning, never saw something about it in real life (a bit hard to see lightning without its own shape), but whatever. Geralt could still react to that arrow at point blank range

...I mean, to be technical, ball lightning 100% exists.

And as for the feat itself, I do honestly agree it should be lightning speed. The way that it's depicted implies something akin to Attack Reflection, where they absorbed the lightning and shot it back. In that case, there shouldn't have been any loss of energy or speed.

Though again, I'll need to check if that can fit in with the standards.

According to our lightning standards, the easiest way to prove that it travels at lightning speed is that it has an energy of at least 1.6 billion Joules or at least 100 million Volts, then it can be considered lightning speed unless strong contradicting evidence.

IF you can't prove that though, then you have to take a look at other things, whether the lightning possesses a few of these properties (to shamelessly quote our Lightning Feats page): making muscles of affected beings contract, having an (electro)magnetic field, being shown to actually move with a speed similar to lightning, flowing through conducting materials, the character being able to manipulate real electricity or electromagnetism in general, generating ozone or causing electrolysis.

And it still came from the sky, don't remember her summoning any lightning during the series.

M3X said:
And it still came from the sky, don't remember her summoning any lightning during the series.
I mean she wiped out an entire forest with fire magic.

Plus she didn't catch the lightning in the bottle as you stated above, she simply tanked it.

In the books Yennefer can shoot lightning from her fingers since she uses alot of lightning magic.

I'm not sure which part are you talking about, but when they catch the lightning with their bottles it does seem to be cloud-to-ground lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back