• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Community Guidelines

I just noticed that the Community page has a window linking to a community guideline page.

We probably should edit that page so that our rules are on it.

I would think just copying what we have in the "Important wiki rules" section on the main page to that page should suffice, but it's better to talk it over before editing official pages, I thought.

Aside from that the current guideline page suggests in a link a page for the list of staff members, it seems. I don't know if there is any reason to put our current list there...

1. Yes

2. Hmm, so basically we would have an exact copy? Seems redunctant, but I'm not totally against the idea

3. Basically the same as the 2nd one, unless we simply delete the current one and put the new one in it's place on the "Useful" section

I will ask Lord Kavpeny about this. Perhaps we could have a copy of our site rules and editing rules in that page?

Alternately, we could save a copy of this page, but it is technically for staff only.

I think members get directed to the rules enough times already (between the new welcome message, and the wiki navigation), hence it would be superfluous to dedicate another page to the rules.

Instead of limiting the community page to rules only, we could create a comprehensive guide about the way things are done at VS Battles wiki (rules, VS policies, guides, procedures, etc.). In effect, it would be a guide for members as to how to go about things at VS Battles wiki.

Conversely, it would also mean that staff members could clarify doubts of members about the site's procedures by simply linking to the appropriate section of the community page. The community page would act as a focal point for navigation, for members to learn about the entirety of the community of VS Battles, not just it's rules.

I believe that would be a more efficient way to utilize the community page, although I would like to get the rest of the staff's opinions about the suggestion before any implementation.

@Antvasima: No, instructions for staff members only should certainly not be on display on a page labelled "community" (aka, all members).

P.S.: As for the staff page link on community guidelines, I couldn't find it after perusing through the page. I did, however, create a simple redirect to our current staff page, which takes care of the matter.

@Kav: I agree that there are sufficient links to the rules.

I am not sure how to edit the community page aside from the given edit options though.

In other words I am not sure how to remove the window/field with the link to that page, but I suppose you would know so there is no problem in me not knowing.

When it comes to what should be on the community page, that is one way it can be used.

I think at this point the purpose of pages that can be linked to for explanation was done through seperate pages on the specific topics and the important ones were gathered on the front page. So wether those should be summarized in such a guide or if the guide should only go into detail about not already mentioned things and link to the rest is something one can think about.

Something I would keep in mind is that a community page ideally should not only be interesting for new users, but also for members that are already part of the community.

Personally I would for example consider to keep the trending pages list that is currently on the page, even though I am not sure if it would fit together with the guide without looking strange and one can of course also access it differently if one is interested.

Okay. Although I am not sure what more thst can be written about how things are done here, given that the rules and staff instructions combined mostly sum it up.

Back