• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestions for new rule additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello. I hope that you are all well. 🙏

I wonder if you would all consider it acceptable to add the following text near the start of our Site Rules page:

==='''Be Kind'''===
This is supposed to be a nice community where all of our member try to be considerate and respectful to each other, to collaborate and have fun together in a safe environment. Do not be toxic, mean, or abusive to other members.

Also, what are our standards regarding "Resistances" sections in our character profile pages? To me it seems redundant to link to that page over and over for every ability when the "Resistances" nature has already been stated at the start, but maybe it would sound like the characters have the listed powers instead of being resistant to them otherwise?

1000049948.jpg

The first is perfect to add yes.

About the second, I'm fine with removing the first link in case of specific tabbers for resistances. Maybe we could keep the To before the ability, to keep things clear.

Also, what are our standards regarding "Resistances" sections in our character profile pages? To me it seems redundant to link to that page over and over for every ability when the "Resistances" nature has already been stated at the start, but maybe it would sound like the characters have the listed powers instead of being resistant to them otherwise?
To avoid linking to the same page over and over again, I set up Acacia's page like this:

1rPVfUE.png

Being in a separate tab and having "Resistance to;" at the top of the page makes it look clear enough to me.

To avoid linking to the same page over and over again, I set up Acacia's page like this:

1rPVfUE.png

Being in a separate tab and having "Resistance to;" at the top of the page makes it look clear enough to me.
That looks much better, yes. Thank you. 🙏

Should we write that down in the following page?

And possibly here as well?

The first rule is agreed by me.

For the second, I think we can simply add, "All previous resistances" before mentioning the rest that are new to a specific key (And beyond).

Hello. I hope that you are all well. 🙏

I wonder if you would all consider it acceptable to add the following text near the start of our Site Rules page:

View attachment 526
1. Being kind is fine to add, no complaints.

2. I tend to just write "Resistance to [every resistance with separate explanations]", thus only linking to "Resistance" once.

Thank you very much for your replies. I will apply the new Site Rules then. 🙏

We can continue to discuss here how to write new guidelines for the "Resistances" sections in our wiki's character profile pages, and I have invited @ImmortalDread to help us out with that task in this thread .

I fixed the following text:
==='''Be Kind'''===
This is supposed to be a nice community where all of our members try to be considerate and respectful to each other, collaborating and having fun together in a safe environment. Do not be toxic, mean, or abusive to other members.
It is minor, not much of a significant modification.

As for resistances, I have prepared this:

The relevant section in Standard Format for Character Profiles is Powers and Abilities Formatting, we can add a sub point in the fifth point since this case is only relevant to tabbers, I suppose.
5) a. (Mandatory: To maintain clarity and prevent excessive repetition, it is advisable to create separate tabs for related content and prominently display the heading "Resistance to;" beneath the tab "Resistance". This practice effectively communicates the subject matter without the need for repetitive linking. When encountering limited or possible resistance scenarios, the phrasing can be adjusted to "Limited Resistance to" or "Possibly Resistance to" as appropriate. This approach streamlines the content presentation, ensuring that the term "Resistance" is linked only once, with detailed explanations provided for each specific type of resistance. See successful examples of this here and here.)
I included the word “Mandatory” in the draft because we are making it a requirement.

May I get some good examples (profiles) for this thread that presents this?

@Damage3245 and @Firestorm808

So I can link it in the end of the sentence.
See successful examples of this here and here.

Regarding the “Resistance” page, I am uncertain whether additional text should be included, as this page primarily serves as an explanation of the concept of Resistance, rather than a guide for formatting.

Last edited:
I fixed the following text:

It is minor, not much of a significant modification.
Thank you. I made a small adjustment:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Site_Rules?type=revision&diff=8180441&oldid=8180217
As for resistances, I have prepared this:

The relevant section in Standard Format for Character Profiles is Powers and Abilities Formatting, we can add a sub point in the fifth point since this case is only relevant to tabbers, I suppose.

I included the word “Mandatory” in the draft because we are making it a requirement.
That mostly seems good to me, although perhaps we should mention that multiple instances of "Resistance to" and "Limited Resistance to" should be grouped together in the following manner?

Resistance to:
  • Ability 1
  • Ability 2
Limited Resistance to:
  • Ability 1
  • Ability 2
May I get some good examples for this thread?

@Damage3245 and @Firestorm808

So I can link it in the end of the sentence.
I would also appreciate community help with this.
Regarding the “Resistance” page, I am uncertain whether additional text should be included, as this page primarily serves as an explanation of the concept of Resistance, rather than a guide for formatting.
Okay. Never mind about that then.

5) a. (Mandatory: Upon creating a dedicated tab for resistance-related content, it is unnecessary to repetitively use the phrase "Resistance to" for every ability within that tab. By implementing a clear and distinct heading such as "Resistance to;" beneath the resistance tab, the context is sufficiently established. When detailing various resistance levels, such as limited, possible, unconventional, or likely resistance, it is recommended to group them together in the following manner:

[[Resistance]] to:
  • Ability 1 (sufficient Explanation)
  • Ability 2 (sufficient Explanation)
Limited [[Resistance]] to:
Possible [[Resistance]] to:
Unconventional [[Resistance]] to:
Likely [[Resistance]] to:
This practice eliminates the need for excessive repetition, ensuring a concise and well-organized presentation of information within the resistance tab. See successful examples of this here and here.)
Is this acceptable for you?

Staff Vote Tally​

Last edited:
That seems good to me, yes. Thank you for helping out. 🙏

What do the rest of you think?

It mostly looks very good to me, but it likely deviates too much from our standard formatting in powers and abilities sections to use bold text for "to:"

I am also uncertain what our standard text formatting is for "Likely", "Possibly", and so onwards.

It mostly looks very good to me, but it likely deviates too much from our standard formatting in powers and abilities sections to use bold text for "to:"
Oh, true. Looking from Damage's post, we don't bold "to:". I will remove it now.
I am also uncertain what our standard text formatting is for "Likely", "Possibly", and so onwards.
We need more sufficient input from staff members, then.

I will update the draft to match Damage's example.

1. Being kind is fine to add, no complaints.

2. I tend to just write "Resistance to [every resistance with separate explanations]", thus only linking to "Resistance" once.
Same with me.

1rPVfUE.png

This works to.

Mind evaluating my draft above?
I think it's fine.

I think that it can be applied now, yes. My apologies for being very slow to respond. I have been trying hard to catch up with my work. 🙏

I think that it can be applied now, yes. My apologies for being very slow to respond. I have been trying hard to catch up with my work. 🙏
Done. This can be closed now.

@IdiosyncraticLawyer

Thank you for helping out, but the phrase "See successful examples of this here and here." does not actually link to any examples within our wiki explanation page, so that needs to be fixed.

Also, Dread's entire explanation text was not included:

https://vsbattles.com/threads/suggestions-for-new-rule-additions.159382/post-6087015
Dread's explanation text's syntax doesn't work well with that page's syntax, so I had to change some minor formatting to get it to work, and I also linked the two examples brought up in this thread. Can we close this now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back