• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cole MacGrath vs Zeraora

So that puts Zera at about ~3 teratons to Cole's 1 teraton, so he's coming in with an AP advantage of 3x, but Cole is constantly getting stronger due to electricity, so the gap will most likely close

Besides that, they're about equal in terms of abilities, with Cole having a slight edge in versatility due to ice and gravity manipulation (he's also immune to electricity at this point). His regen will certainly help him stay in the game.

What's Zera's status effect like?

The real cal howard said:
Only paralysis.
Wrong. Zeraora has access to Toxic and Taunt, which will wear away at Cole's health rapidly and force him to keep on the offensive, respectively. Also, Zeraora has the ability Volt Absorb, which means that any electric attacks Cole tries will only end up healing Zeraora.

Well then I think Cole could take this. His rockets don't rely on electricity and instead rely on kinetic energy, and he's willing to spam them from afar.

He doesn't have to worry about running out of energy or stamina, as in this form, he constantly producing energy, which is also constantly making him stronger, so the 3x gap isn't that much of a problem.

His ice abilities will certainly prove to be an issue, and his shockwaves will reflect anything that Zera can throw at him. Shields can block anything that gets by, and when he does get tagged, his regen will let him hang in there (which is being amped by constant electricity).

His ionic attacks are stronger than his normal attacks, so an ionic freeze followed by rocket spam should let Cole take the W

Cole via constant stat amping, spam attacks, ice attacks and regen

I...disagree? While a lot of Zeraora's attacks won't be helpful here, especially Plasma Fists, Zeraora still has a lot of attacks that can help against Cole.

First off, his variety of status moves. Besides the previously mentioned Toxic and Taunt, there is also Confide, which lowers Cole's special attack, which is his specialty. And then there are the stat boosting moves Zeraora has access to as well, such as Hone Claws, Work Up, Calm Mind, and Double Team.

Zeraora can also defend itself very well by using Substitute and Protect, which can create a body double that Cole would be forced to deal with first, and Protect is an all around barrier that can easily take that punishment Cole is dealing out. And if Zeraora is heavily injured, he can use Rest to completely heal himself, and he can continue to attack by using Sleep Talk and Snore.

I am not saying that Zeraora will definitively win here. I'm just pointing out things that would help him get an edge.

(Plus, if he wants to approach, he can use Grass Knot to trip up Cole and give himself a chance to close the distance between the two of them.)

I have genuinely no idea what you mean by Cole's special attack, or it being his specialty.

Zerora also has no form of Absorbtion resistance on his page, or anyway to really escape any form of his Arc Restraints due to his lifting strength.

Top this all off Cole is highly resistant to electricity manipulation and blocks off his flight with Gravity Manipulation

I'm not even surprised if Cole can just keep on tanking and absorbing the attacks. Having him face someone who uses the power he gets amp on might just keep giving him overdrives.

By the way what happened to the Thunderstorm revision?

Special attacks, in the Pokémon verse, typically refer to attacks that don't have a physical aspect, such as the majority of Fire attacks, Water attacks, and Electric attacks. A lot of Cole's attacks, especially his electric and ice attacks, would fall under this category.

Zeraora can counter Cole's Absorption with Drain Punch. Also, if the Arc Restraints are made out of electricity, then Zeraora passively absorbs it thanks to Volt Absorb. Really, any electric attacks Cole uses will be absorbed by Zeraora.

That was the whole point of the previous post, pointing out all of Zeraora's advantages without his Electric attacks. And if he can get close enough, Zeraora can rain down on Cole with a plethora of Physical attacks, like Close Combat, Aerial Ace, and Outrage, just to name a few.

No comment on Special attacks since I'm not the one being talked to.

Drain Punch would first need to hit him. Also I thought people were arguing that he didn't have absorption? Not to mention that Cole still has his other more devastating drain attacks and physical force. Then there's ice type too while we're at it.

Cole has a variety of abilities that could allow him to play keep away and move around quickly. In fact, if he gets overcharged, which he is now, he actually electrocutes anything that gets close to him.

CoreOfimBalance(COB) said:
Cole has a variety of abilities that could allow him to play keep away and move around quickly. In fact, if he gets overcharged, which he is now, he actually electrocutes anything that gets close to him.
Let me copy/paste part of Zeraora's Biology info from Bulbapedia:

Zeraora can create a very powerful magnetic field through the strong electric currents generated from its paw-pads. This magnetic field can allow Zeraora to levitate and fly through the air at high speeds. It can travel as fast as a lightning strike. Unlike most Electric-type Pokémon, Zeraora does not have organs to create electricity; instead, it gathers and stores it from outside sources, then uses it as its own electric energy. Its fur is known to stand on its ends all across the body whenever it is using massive amounts of electricity.

Basically, he can fly more effectively than Cole by using the electromagnetic waves from his paw pads, so it'll be easier for Zeraora to keep up with Cole than Cole can fly from him. And if he electrocutes everything around him, than that'll be just fine with Zeraora, since once again, Volt Absorb would come into effect.

Nevermind, I take that back.

Btw I never said anything about Cole taking the battle to the sky. That said a tornado would ruin anyone's day. I'll take your word for the electromagnetic waves then but tornado + ionic freeze would be annoying to anyone. In the end Cole's goal is still to outlast and outdrain.

And yet, Zeraora is surprisingly similar to Cole in the fact that it also absorbs any electricity around it, not just from attacks, as it explains in the Biology snippet I had. And due to it's nature as stated by its Pokédex entries, it would continue to chase Cole until it can get into melee range to attack. And even then, it still has a good number of non-Electric Special attacks, such as Round, Hidden Power, Snarl and Focus Blast.

Fair enough on that.

However, the issue is Cole can also just knock him around with gravity affecting abilities. Graviton Shockwaves themselves or kinetic shockwaves mixed with ice blasts can make it hard for someone to dodge. Not to mention that Cole can keep on draining its attacks if it chooses to, but Cole can also selectively drain the energy out of Zeraora if necessary.

Okay but what do they do? I legit don't know how to respond to that since I haven't played pokemon for awhile. Also while Zera heals by draining energy, Cole heals and strengthens himself further and further.

Wow we already have a Zeraora profile but no Marshadow? That's sad and amazing at the same time.

Anyways Zeraora has ways of boosting its own stats. Namely Hone Claws which boosts attack and accuracy. If we take into account stuff outside its natural movepool then it has even more options such as Bulk Up and Calm Mind. If it can land Toxic then stalling is an option. Knock Off is handy for removing any items Cole may have on him. Drain Punch and Rest allow for recovery while Snore and Sleep Talk allow for it to take action while asleep from Rest. Protect is also pretty valuable for stalling with Toxic and Substitute. That said if we limit Zeraora to its natural movepool then it is VERY limited and most of what I said is null and void.

Those abilities aren't bad. Though Cole can counter most of them.

Not sure what to make of attack and accuracy but I don't think it can rise endlessly like Cole. Accuracy boosting I'm not sure what to make of.

Poison doesn't last long on Cole and he can heal off.

Cole doesn't really need items.

Drain Punch would hurt, if it hits.

Sleeping in front of Cole is a very bad idea- ah, Snore and Sleep Talk.... I'm afraid that's still not gonna be enough from Cole immediately freezing it or even going as far away as possible to energize himself.

In game Protect only lasts for 3 turns, so I assume there's a limit. That said, Cole has a tendency to break force fields.

Substitute might be nifty though but Cole has radar pulse to keep track of where a Pokemon might hide.

You're probably thinking of another move. Protect's chances of failing rise if used in succession. So while it can't just spam it it can alternate between Protect and some other move. Even if Cole freezes Zeraora it's still going be back to peak condition putting them both back to square one if he does the latter as well health wise. However the real kicker to Cole is Snatch. Allows Zeraora to steal any healing or buffing techniques Cole may use. Zeraora can also equalize their health via Endeavor if it happens to fall below Cole's. And Taunt would force him on the offensive for awhile. And it can just keep reapplying it too. If Rest turns out to be a mistake then Zeraora isn't going to try it again. Bulk Up buffs attack and defense and Calm Mind is the special equivalent. Laser Focus allows for guaranteed critical hits which ignore any defensive buffs Cole may gain. And even if its Electric-type moves are useless it can still potentially paralyze through Bounce. Though again if we restrict Zeraora to level up moves then I'm pretty sure it can't do much as sad as I am to say it and this whole post becomes null and void.

For the sake of a fair match, I'll allow TM moves this time. Especially since as a legendary, Zeraora has no access to egg moves.

So like when did this get made?

How...Old is Zeraora history wise? Did he recently appear in a new game?

Not even. He was announced as a event Pokémon for later this year recently, celebrating the new movie he's gonna be in (so I wouldn't be surprised if he got upgraded before the spring is up). Before that, we only know him from datamining.

He is literally an Ultra Sun and Moon Pokemon who only just been officially revealed like a week ago. Although his existence has been known since November of last year when USUM was datamined.

His moveset and PokeDex Entries are in the game code so we already have all that info. He's fine to use. He just may get some additions from the Movie later this year.

Getting back to the point here, Hearo pretty much spelled it out for me. I'm voting Zeraora with high-difficulty via Flight and his versatility of defensive and status moves.

Back