• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Code for Anti-Necroposting (Staff only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bobsican, it is a full-circle. Hopefully, the author that I asked reply soon.

"That wiki is using 90 days as their parameter for that variable, I don't think 'infinite' will work as a value in that script. This is taken from the Spongebob wiki's Common.js page:"

Code:
/* LockForums and LockOldBlogs */   window.LockForums = { lockMessageWalls: true, expiryDays: 90 };   window.LockOldBlogs = { expiryDays: 90 };   /* End of LockForums and LockOldBlogs */

Bobsican said:
What´s to be done, then?
We could set expiryDays to 730 days/2 years or somesuch then. We keep the warning fuction function at 30 days to give messages at this time.

I think that what Elizhaa suggests is overall a good alternative.

More input is needed for this, however.

Maybe we could set it to 1096 days ~ 3 years then, to stay on the safe side?

I think that should be fine, as threads done after such timeframe has passed are either outdated or just assured complaint of necroing.

Something like this then?

Code:
window.LockForums = { expiryDays: 1096, expiryMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over 3 years, so it has been automatically locked." warningDays: 90 warningMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over <warningDays> days. There is no need to reply, unless it is part of the versus forum." };

Skalt711 said:
Yeah, omitting expiryDays in the settings will only set this variable to a default value of 30 days.
Has this been confirmed? We could try it out by omitting it, I guess.

If yes, then Ant's script looks fine to use.

I think the "Warningdays" work better as 30 days. Otherwise, I am fine with the rest of the code,

And now that I think about it, the "expiryMessage" should also mention that a new thread can be made to bring back the topic if needed.

Bobsican said:
And now that I think about it, the "expiryMessage" should also mention that a new thread can be made to bring back the topic if needed.
I think this addition could work.

Something like this then:

Code:
window.LockForums = { expiryDays: 1096, expiryMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over 3 years, so it has been automatically locked. If necessary, you can start a new discussion about the topic instead." warningDays: 90 warningMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over <warningDays> days. There is no need to reply, unless it is part of the versus forum." };

Can somebody ask Promestein if she is willing to add my text and follow the other instructions for how to activate the feature? My tablet doesn't work well for adding wiki code for some reason.

Well, the message I sent to Prom is still at the top, so I´ll just add a comment about applying the actual code and so on, to avoid spamming her message wall.

Okay. You can reply to the previous post.

That is a potentially major problem. Please ask Promestein to revert the changes then.

Somebody should preferably ask in the Dev wiki forum about why the above-mentioned problem happened.

We received a reply:

KockaAdmiralac said:
There is a syntax error in your configuration:
should be

window.LockForums = {
expiryDays: 1096,
expiryMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over 3 years, so it has been automatically locked. If necessary, you can start a new discussion about the topic instead.",
warningDays: 90,
warningMessage: "This thread has not been commented on for over <warningDays> days. There is no need to reply, unless it is part of the versus forum."
};
I would also suggest ensuring your LockForums configuration revision has been submitted and approved before importing it through ImportJS, because otherwise it'll apply the default configuration (and lock threads over 30 days old) until the configuration has been approved.

Would you be willing to handle this according to his instructions Promestein?

It seems the "syntax error" was that a "," that should be right after the number value at "warningDays" was skipped. Just adding it shouldn´t be too hard.

Yes, but we also have to make the changes in order, and wait until one of them has been accepted and applied, before submitting the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back