• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cobalt vs Mr. Thomas (Veneficaverse vs Monogattari no Jūnen)

Both characters at 7-A (Awakened Cobalt used), speed equalized, and 30 meter starting distance. Battle location is S-City, but it's empty of all people/others who can interfere.

Thomas: 0

Cobalt: 4

Incon:

Last edited:
If Thomas' petrification works on Cobalt from a distance (which it can), he will win by inevitably snapping his neck. If not, his physical strength should overwhelm Cobalt by some degree. However, I do see the usage of Plutonium such as Reverse Dissipation having a considerable effect with regards to regeneration.

If Thomas' petrification works on Cobalt from a distance (which it can), he will win by inevitably snapping his neck. If not, his physical strength should overwhelm Cobalt by some degree. However, I do see the usage of Plutonium such as Reverse Dissipation having a considerable effect with regards to regeneration.
Well, first, Cobalt can regenerate from a snapped neck even without Plutonium Reverse Dissipation (though this isn’t instant, so she will likely need to do that anyway) and abilities such as Plutonium Bend ought to help defend that anyway if she starts with it, depending on how well he can counter illusions. He probably is physically stronger than her, but she’s fought and dealt with enemies who are and does have other abilities very useful in such a situation, and with herself being a primarily ranged fighter it might not come into play very much

I see. In that case, Thomas will inevitably overwhelm her with physical strength and his technology which he will use to shake the city's foundations (as in the ground) and then use that to force her balance to lose itself. In that moment, he will try to beat her to a point where she'll be unable to fight back.

Last edited:
That said, despite Thomas' massive physical advantage, the Plutonium Storm could overwhelm him however he will inevitably react by firing his hand at her like a rocket, use that as a springboard to teleport in front of her and counter the Plutonium Guard balls by simply overpowering them with sheer force (if possible) and then punch her so hard that her head will become caved in.

Also, regarding illusions, he should be resistant to them since he survived seeing the Hat Man in an illusory form, a creature that can affect the mind and body which was summoned by Satoshi, who is able to put conceptual beings under genjutsu and is implicitly regarded as having the greatest illusion (genjutsu) prowess in the Monogattari no Jūnen story.

However, if the power of Plutonium Bend does work, Thomas will be put off his game for the briefest of moments, which will allow Cobalt to deal a lot of damage rather quickly and overwhelm him.

Last edited:
That said, despite Thomas' massive physical advantage, the Plutonium Storm could overwhelm him however he will inevitably react by firing his hand at her like a rocket, use that as a springboard to teleport in front of her and counter the Plutonium Guard balls by simply overpowering them with sheer force (if possible) and then punch her so hard that her head will become caved in.
Cobalt could twist her energy to be pointing outwards in all directions, which is used as an attack reflection maneuver, so if he would use his hand that way she would reflect it and he would teleport somewhere out of range, and Plutonium Barrier can protect her even if that didn’t work seeing as it has feats of successfully blocking a 6-C punch. Problem is that she won’t have much offensive methods when using it.

Plutonium Guard Spheres can be detainees through force, but this will result in them exploding immediately in Thomas’ face, and of course unless all are destroyed at the exact same time they’ll just respawn and continue that process, and Cobalt’s barrier would make it a near impossibility that she’d be damaged unless he could destroy them all at once to down it
Also, regarding illusions, he should be resistant to them since he survived seeing the Hat Man in an illusory form, a creature that can affect the mind and body which was summoned by Satoshi, who is able to put conceptual beings under genjutsu and is implicitly regarded as having the greatest illusion (genjutsu) prowess in the Monogattari no Jūnen story.
Maybe, but Cobalt’s illusory power is totally different. She bends the light around her, which basically makes her completely invisible to the world, so it doesn’t actually affect Thomas himself, rather the world around them since light is required to actually see anything. Not sure he would be able to resist that since it isn’t affecting him directly as I said before
However, if the power of Plutonium Bend does work, Thomas will be put off his game for the briefest of moments, which will allow Cobalt to deal a lot of damage rather quickly and overwhelm him.
The only way Cobalt will be able to win is either through BFR via hyperspace gates (basically the same stuff as Blast from OPM) or by hitting with Plutonium Dissipation enough that enough of him is finally erased. His Mid-High regen makes this a very difficult feat for Cobalt, but not impossible to accomplish. She could use abilities like Plutonium Storm during the opening to give her a shot at a combo of dissipation attacks.

Cobalt could twist her energy to be pointing outwards in all directions, which is used as an attack reflection maneuver, so if he would use his hand that way she would reflect it and he would teleport somewhere out of range, and Plutonium Barrier can protect her even if that didn’t work seeing as it has feats of successfully blocking a 6-C punch. Problem is that she won’t have much offensive methods when using it.

Plutonium Guard Spheres can be detainees through force, but this will result in them exploding immediately in Thomas’ face, and of course unless all are destroyed at the exact same time they’ll just respawn and continue that process, and Cobalt’s barrier would make it a near impossibility that she’d be damaged unless he could destroy them all at once to down it

Maybe, but Cobalt’s illusory power is totally different. She bends the light around her, which basically makes her completely invisible to the world, so it doesn’t actually affect Thomas himself, rather the world around them since light is required to actually see anything. Not sure he would be able to resist that since it isn’t affecting him directly as I said before

The only way Cobalt will be able to win is either through BFR via hyperspace gates (basically the same stuff as Blast from OPM) or by hitting with Plutonium Dissipation enough that enough of him is finally erased. His Mid-High regen makes this a very difficult feat for Cobalt, but not impossible to accomplish. She could use abilities like Plutonium Storm during the opening to give her a shot at a combo of dissipation attacks.
The problem regarding the spheres is this: While they would be able to blow up in his face (which could stun him briefly), he would still be able to counter by glaring at the orbs simultaneously (by darting his eye from side to side, since he has one eye which can petrify), freeze and petrify all of the orbs (putting them in stasis). This would then shut down the barrier and allow him to imprison her mind and body via the petrification.

With regards to Cobalt's world-changing invisibility, he should be able to barely detect or observe Cobalt's invisible self since the Hat Man is an invisible demon-like being who appears when in a drug-fuelled haze (or via genjutsu in this instance) and he was able to have physical contact with him. I do genuinely see the only way Thomas losing is through BFR however its entirely possible that Thomas could simply freeze the gates upon contact and ultimately wrap up the fight by petrifying Cobalt outright, imprisoning her mind and body fully.

From this description of Thomas' only fight in the Monogattari no Jūnen story: “You should be lucky I have mercy.” Satoshi whispered into Thomas’ ear as he stared into Thomas’ blackened eye, seeing a younger version of himself as a demonic visage was all that was visible when he gazed at Satoshi; with pulsating, bloodshot red eyes, a blackened form, a man only covered in shadows, the shadows of the valley of death with a hat covering the man’s innocuously non-existent head. “The HAT MAN?!” Thomas screamed as he was horrified, as though he saw his sins. “Don’t speak about consequences when you know freedom.” Satoshi coldly said as Damien got up as Thomas tried to look around and petrify him.", it is shown that Thomas has to look around for his target to petrify them with this having a possible impact on Cobalt.

Last edited:
The problem regarding the spheres is this: While they would be able to blow up in his face (which could stun him briefly), he would still be able to counter by glaring at the orbs simultaneously (by darting his eye from side to side, since he has one eye which can petrify), freeze and petrify all of the orbs (putting them in stasis).

With regards to Cobalt's world-changing invisibility, he should be able to barely detect or observe Cobalt's invisible self since the Hat Man is an invisible demon-like being who appears when in a drug-fuelled haze (or via genjutsu in this instance) and he was able to have physical contact with him. I do genuinely see the only way Thomas losing is through BFR however its entirely possible that Thomas could simply freeze the gates upon contact and ultimately wrap up the fight by petrifying Cobalt outright, imprisoning her mind and body fully.

It is therefore equal as neither side wins; Thomas wins through full power petrification or Cobalt wins through BFR at the last minute.
Well there’s another problem too, he’s going to be instantly irradiated by basically everything Cobalt does and he doesn’t have any resistance for that (it’s gotta be in the profile to be viable, he has no radiation resistance therefore this is a real tactic) so blowing up those spheres could lead to a very quick death via radiation poison/other radiation related things

Barley being able to perceive where Cobalt might be doesn’t seem to help very much, but it’s better than nothing. On the other hand, cobalt is extremely smart. I can see her tricking Thomas by generating extra auras around the area and using Plutonium Bend around many different spots. This would basically make him believe that Cobalt is everywhere at once, which opens up far more opportunities for everything else she could come up with.

It’s also entirely possible that she just lands her Plutonium Chains which would paralyze him and he’d be unable to use the petrify, and Cobalt could BFR him far easier

I also don’t think he can actually ‘contact’ a hyperspace gate. He’d have to be like Saitama in order to do that. It’s a portal, it cannot be physically interacted with by any conventional mean, and even if he can use eye contact for it she could summon it beneath him and then raise it up right away well before he actually looks at it. Although she’s inexperienced with the portals using it fast like that as one of her first moves is completely feasible.

Something hit mentioned yet either is her Plutonium Hand ability.
  • Plutonium Hand: Cobalt concentrates blazing energy into her hand and uses it to redirect all of her opponents' attacks used in the direction she is pointing her hand. She can hold the move for around 30 seconds at a time. However, she can't always control where she is sending moves.
She should be able to avoid petrifaction here, given that he needs to look in her direction and she’d be reflected attacks outwards. She most likely wouldn’t petrify Thomas with it due to a lack of controlling exactly where moves go, but because of all this I see Cobalt as the winner more often than not.

Well there’s another problem too, he’s going to be instantly irradiated by basically everything Cobalt does and he doesn’t have any resistance for that (it’s gotta be in the profile to be viable, he has no radiation resistance therefore this is a real tactic) so blowing up those spheres could lead to a very quick death via radiation poison/other radiation related things

Barley being able to perceive where Cobalt might be doesn’t seem to help very much, but it’s better than nothing. On the other hand, cobalt is extremely smart. I can see her tricking Thomas by generating extra auras around the area and using Plutonium Bend around many different spots. This would basically make him believe that Cobalt is everywhere at once, which opens up far more opportunities for everything else she could come up with.

It’s also entirely possible that she just lands her Plutonium Chains which would paralyze him and he’d be unable to use the petrify, and Cobalt could BFR him far easier

I also don’t think he can actually ‘contact’ a hyperspace gate. He’d have to be like Saitama in order to do that. It’s a portal, it cannot be physically interacted with by any conventional mean, and even if he can use eye contact for it she could summon it beneath him and then raise it up right away well before he actually looks at it. Although she’s inexperienced with the portals using it fast like that as one of her first moves is completely feasible.

Something hit mentioned yet either is her Plutonium Hand ability.
  • Plutonium Hand: Cobalt concentrates blazing energy into her hand and uses it to redirect all of her opponents' attacks used in the direction she is pointing her hand. She can hold the move for around 30 seconds at a time. However, she can't always control where she is sending moves.
She should be able to avoid petrifaction here, given that he needs to look in her direction and she’d be reflected attacks outwards. She most likely wouldn’t petrify Thomas with it due to a lack of controlling exactly where moves go, but because of all this I see Cobalt as the winner more often than not.
Then in that instance, even if he will be "irradiated", he will then immediately be forced to fire both of his arms at her (which he will instinctively aim straight for her head) and wrap up the battle as fast as possible. In addition, Thomas' intelligence is immense so he could let her use her Plutonium Hand and chains and then from there, fight on autopilot, fire his fingers at her in the form of "missiles", turn them into smoke and distract her (keep in mind, his fingers and body are technological and immensely advanced, so this isn't something he shouldn't be able to do) and even when irradiated as you posit, he will just wait for 30 seconds (he fought Damien, a character who literally gives unhealable attacks) and then petrify her one more time. Furthermore, I highly doubt she can survive having her mind and body outright imprisoned.

Arguing that she will be able to use multiple illusions against him is asinine at best since the context for Thomas' final fight is that he was surrounded by and fought against 20 people, one of which had the ability to make multiple illusions and clones of herself; and he still won by finding the main body and petrifying her.

The only way she can win is through BFR and because of her inexperience, he can just manipulate her by verbally mocking her the same way he did Satoshi and Damien; goading her into using her attacks over and over until she tires herself out emotionally or even physically.

With regards to the petrification, in the Monogattari no Jūnen story, the person who is petrified is still seen as "living" despite their mind and body being petrified.

Overall, Thomas could only lose with the BFR in mind (if she can even land it).

Last edited:
Cobalt is one of my favorite venefica verse characters (behind: THE GOAT amoeba, and hecate) I'll be watching this with a bucket of popcorn

Skimming through both profiles, I’m personally leaning cobalt, since she has way more abilities to go the offense and to defend, which includes negating regeneration and durability, Literal Instant Irradiation attacks, better options for defense, will know not to underestimate Thomas through her scanner, etc, but I won’t vote just yet (y)

^ There’s also the fact that Cobalt has much better LS (Class M >>> Superhuman) So if cobalt gets in close or uses her chains, Thomas is probably screwed since cobalt can instantly irradiate him apparently.

Last edited:
Then in that instance, even if he will be "irradiated", he will then immediately be forced to fire both of his arms at her (which he will instinctively aim straight for her head) and wrap up the battle as fast as possible. In addition, Thomas' intelligence is immense so he could let her use her Plutonium Hand and chains and then from there, fight on autopilot, fire his fingers at her in the form of "missiles", turn them into smoke and distract her (keep in mind, his fingers and body are technological and immensely advanced, so this isn't something he shouldn't be able to do) and even when irradiated as you posit, he will just wait for 30 seconds (he fought Damien, a character who literally gives unhealable attacks) and then petrify her one more time. Furthermore, I highly doubt she can survive having her mind and body outright imprisoned.

Arguing that she will be able to use multiple illusions against him is asinine at best since the context for Thomas' final fight is that he was surrounded by and fought against 20 people, one of which had the ability to make multiple illusions and clones of herself; and he still won by finding the main body and petrifying her.

The only way she can win is through BFR and because of her inexperience, he can just manipulate her by verbally mocking her the same way he did Satoshi and Damien; goading her into using her attacks over and over until she tires herself out emotionally or even physically.

With regards to the petrification, in the Monogattari no Jūnen story, the person who is petrified is still seen as "living" despite their mind and body being petrified.

Overall, Thomas could only lose with the BFR in mind (if she can even land it).
I can’t make a big response, but I don’t think I really need to either. Not very much of this is possible because in the first scenario he basically can’t act because of Plutonium Chains, he would need to do something prior. But there’s hardly an opening for that. Letting her use them is not a good move at all 🗿 as rayfire said, her LS is far higher so the chains are basically another GG move. Cobalt has many more ways of victory here overall. She’s not as easy to exploit as you imply either, even with inexperience, her whole character arc is overcoming exploitation so that’s simply not gonna work and there’s really not much he can say to set her off. He This is Awakened Cobalt after all.

I can’t make a big response, but I don’t think I really need to either. Not very much of this is possible because in the first scenario he basically can’t act because of Plutonium Chains, he would need to do something prior. But there’s hardly an opening for that. Letting her use them is not a good move at all 🗿 as rayfire said, her LS is far higher so the chains are basically another GG move. Cobalt has many more ways of victory here overall. She’s not as easy to exploit as you imply either, even with inexperience, her whole character arc is overcoming exploitation so that’s simply not gonna work and there’s really not much he can say to set her off. He This is Awakened Cobalt after all.
You better not pull a akumo on us 😤

I put Thomas' strength as Superhuman since his strength doesn't have an exact limit (I don't know how to properly explain it but it would be higher than something like Class P or Class M however I wasn't aware of the lifting strength levels prior to this day) but yeah because of Thomas' extremely limited hax (his singular ability), he will lose. Unless I scale him above Satoshi in terms of technology (who can fire black holes from his wrists), he will lose (but that isn't listed on his profile but the possibility is there).

After looking over most variables, Thomas loses but with very high difficulty.

Probably yeah, I don’t think either of them are completely screwed so it shouldn’t be a stomp, though I think Asuna would be a better option if either of us make a thread, since we haven’t seen haruka’s full power in the web novel yet.

Probably yeah, I don’t think either of them are completely screwed so it shouldn’t be a stomp, though I think Asuna would be a better option if either of us make a thread, since we haven’t seen haruka’s full power in the web novel yet.
Would like to do that Asuna match! I can make it later unless you got time to fix it up

Would like to do that Asuna match! I can make it later unless you got time to fix it up

yeahivegottime.jpg

Back