• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Clearing confusion about Dragon Ball Super manga

Faisal_Shourov

VS Battles
Retired
A lot of people think Super manga is non canon. That is not true at all. Toriyama has been credited as the AUTHOR of DB Super manga. Toyataro is NOT writing the story. Toyataro has been credied as the artist, not author. I have multiple sources to clear this up. This is not like DBGT folks. The sources arevgiven below

The latest issue of V-Jump has revealed that the recently announced Dragon Ball Super will be receiving a manga adaptation as well. Akira Toriyama alongside Toyotaro, who is the author of spin-off manga series Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission will be handling this manga adaptation. [1]

According to the latest issue of V-Jump (via Shonen Gamez), Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission author Toyotaro will be spearheading this anime-to-manga adaptation. The series will be released through V-Jump.[2]

The July issue of Shueisha's V Jump magazine is revealing on Thursday that Toyotarō will launch a manga version of the upcoming Dragon Ball Super television anime series. Dragon Ball manga creator Akira Toriyama is credited with the manga's original story.[3]

Dragon Ball Super, the first Dragon Ball TV anime in 18 years, is hitting the airwaves in Japan this July. There's also a manga adaptation in the works according to the latest issue of V-Jump, which has the Adaptation teaming original creator Akira Toriyama up with Dragon Ball Heroes manga author Toyotarō.[4]

According to the announcement in Shueisha's V Jump the Dragon Ball Super manga will launch in the magazine's super-sized August issue. Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama, who's credited with the "original story and character concepts" for the new anime, is also credited with the manga's story.[5]

The manga is semi-canon imo, but if somebody wants to consider it FULLY canon they may do so as well. Toriyama has been credited as the author in every source I found.

Unless the anime feat contradicts the manga directly, it should be allowed to be used as feats. I hope the mods look into this

Faisal Shourov said:
Unless the anime feat contradicts the manga directly, it should be allowed to be used as feats.
This is pretty much all we're saying. We always wait for the anime episodes to come out, first. It's not that the manga isn't canon at all (as you said, it's not DBGT). It's just that we want to be as safe as possible when it comes to the topic of Dragon Ball.

^^Thanks. I have seen a lot of people saying that the manga is non canon and rejecting manga feats completely. That is 100% false. The manga is at least semi-canon, if not FULLY canon.

Also please bookmark this thread, everybody should see this to clarfiy

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
You mean highlight? I can do that.
Yes please. Also Beerus doesn't have any direct durability feat on his profile, I request you to include this to show his minimum durability. You could write it like this and include the scan.

Durability: At least Planet Level + | At least Solar System level+

That way people who want to look up on Beerus profile can also see his actual feats, not just words. Some people don't believe powerscaling without actual scans.
ROLLUrx
Beerus tanks planet explosio

Faisal Shourov said:
Yes please. Also Beerus doesn't have any direct durability feat on his profile, I request you to include this to show his minimum durability. You could write it like this and include the scan.

Durability: At least Planet Level + | At least Solar System level+

That way people who want to look up on Beerus profile can also see his actual feats, not just words. Some people don't believe powerscaling without actual scans.
ROLLUrx
Beerus tanks planet explosio
There's no need. Characters much earlier on could tank Planet busters with no harm, so it would be pointless to add to Bills.

hmm...well that doesn't matter, just wanted to add the scan to the list of feats

I hope the canon debate is over

I'm not the best when it comes to anime but considering powerscaling plays a major role in them, I believe it's safe to label Beerus being SS+....or at minimal just in case.

The problem with the manga is not by the fact that it isn't Toriyama ordering the manga-which he is. The problem is that the manga this time around is the derived product of the anime, instead of the anime being the derived product of the manga, like DBZ. The DBSuper manga can be reasonably considered it's own canon, just like the DBZ anime was. The official canon consists of the DB manga, the DB Minus manga and the DBSuper anime, while side canons consist of the DBZ anime, the DBSuper manga and the Yo Son Goku/BoG/FnF trilogy for those still believing it was canon prior to DBSuper.

^^No, DB Super Manga is the same canon as the anime. DBZ had fillers that's why its non canon, the manga has nothing to do with that

Well, as far as I can tell, it definitely doesn't happen the same way(not counting in the Champa appearances though). Based on that, it can't be the same canon, else it would be a rigorous manga adaptation. I still stand by the DBSuper anime being the official canon.

If Akira wrote the script, its canon. This is not a promotional crossover, the manga is not for gags. You might not consider the contradictory feats, but calling the manga noncanon is nonsensical. The manga is more canon then DBZ anime has ever been. Toyataro is simply drawing because akira has retired as an artist

"If Akira wrote the script, it's canon" I'm sorry to be blunt here, but that's the same dumb reason people considered the God trilogy canon in the first place. Akira writing the script doesn't make it canon to me, he needs to actually say it, which he has done for DB Minus and the DBSuper anime. And I feel you don't seem to have understood my explanation for that reason. What I was saying was that, while the DBSuper manga has been contracted by Akira for Toyble to draw, it isn't a rigorous adaptation of the anime. Toyble just receives the script, made a few tweaks to please his own sense of redaction(such as Champa's appearances), and as such, not having the same story, cannot be considered as the same canon as the DBSuper anime. It doesn't pose any problem for now, as the feats of the different characters for now correspond to what we would expect them to be able to do(yes, it was no surprise for anyone for Beerus to blow up these two stars). I'm just waiting for the real contradictory feats to add them to the contradictory storyline to use them as what I judge is unnecessary proof for the canon divergence.

wasn't Yo Son Goku was considered canon before BoG was even announced?

@Faisal Shourov; Toriyama's involvement isn't the end-all be-all of canonicity; both the uper manga, and the super anime tell the story of the same events, but the don't tell exactly the same story, they tell contradictory accounts, they by definition cannot both be accurate accounts of the actual events; the same as two contradictory accounts of real history cannot both be accurate. Only one ca be canon, and the manga, as an adaption, gets the short end of the stick by default.

It was a slightly debated topic, but most people agreed because it was written in Toriyama himself.

I'm guessing that like there wasn't any timeline contradictions, people acknowledged Yo Son Goku as a possible canon, to be further confirmed by the mention of Tarble in BoG. But, as far as I'm concerned, none of the movies are actually canon, with those fitting best into the storyline being Bojack Unbound and Yo Son Goku. As for the Dragon Ball movies, as I didn't see any of them, I can't tell.

When you say "none of the movies", does that include Battle of Gods and Resurrection F before Super worked their events into it?

Back