• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chrono verse deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so. I am doing this thread kinda late, given that the last thread that was ever made for this verse was this March, and I've got issues on why I can't keep with it.

So, we got the Chrono verse, a kinda niche verse that, similar to EarthBound, while being very popular among the JRPG community, it's not really in the powerscaling one.

And the profiles are so damn bad that it's hard for me to get a starting point on why for its own good it should be purged from existence and then re-done from 0.

Why Low 2-C sucks and breaks the in-verse powerscaling

Everyone in the verse is Low 2-C, and the reason of that are 3 feats, and while 2 of them are correct, they completely break the scaling.

The first is FATE's feat of sending an infinite space-time to the Darkness Beyond Time, which is technically sending it to Nonexistence, which is technically fine, if only for the fact that FATE is directly empowered from the Frozen Flame and uses it as power source, meaning that it wasn't just her power alone. This straight up messes with scaling by a good amount, as FATE is supposed to downscale from the Time Devourer, but I'll get there shortly.

The second is Lynx's ForeverZero, an attack that is claimed to be such because it created what it seemigly a whole universe and then destroy it. But the problem is that it's a 4-A feat. The description is "All things get reduced to eternal nothingness", but if you see the thing, you'll see him creating a pocket realm with a bunch of stars and nebulae, and then erasing it, returning to the main reality. This is not only not Low 2-C, but also is not really right to fully apply it on Lynx for reasons I'll tell later.

The third reason is Lavos' base form, which is Low 2-C due to to scaling from the Frozen Flame, which can generate power equivalent to a Big Bang, due to it being a splinter of his body. While this sounds solid at first for someone who does not know the verse, if you've played the series, you'd know why context completely contradicts this notion. The Frozen Flame is directly connected to Lavos, and who gets it gets connected to Lavos as well, gaining extraordinary powers, which is technically true, as the Zeal Kingdom intended to use Lavos' power to get eternal life, which is one of the powers that the Frozen Flame grants to its user. The problem is that the Frozen Flame in Chrono Cross is not proven to have such power in Chrono Trigger, and in fact, Lavos gets constantly empowered from absorbing stuff like energy, magic, living beings or also dreams (aka the Type 1 concepts that shape reality and yadda yadda, you know), and thanks to the latter and merging with Schala, Lavos became first the Dream Devourer, and then the Time Devourer. This already should tell that scaling a Frozen Flame that is connected from the Time Devourer to a Lavos of two evolutive stages before it's already stupid.

But this Frozen Flame scaling gets even worse when you see the verse's powerscaling, that the VBW pages completely reject for some reason. So, you know Lucca, right? She aided in the defeat of the first form of Lavos in a relatively long battle with 2 companions that were chosen from the player. The thing is that Lynx, a mid-game boss, is heavily implied to have killed her, and it's the entire reason on why Kid is on his ass all the time in the game, as Lynx has killed Lucca and burned to the ground the orphanage she grew in. This already says a lot as FATE with the Frozen Flame is the third to last major boss that is fought in the game, before the Dragon God and the Time Devourer, and Lynx is part of FATE as her biological avatar other than being a boss that is fought in the first half of the game.

It's also important to tell that when Lynx made that statement, he has forcefully swapped his body with Serge after said mid-game fight, and using Lynx's body, Serge has fought a LOT of enemies, including the dragons that each embody one of the 6 elements, before fighting Lynx (now called Dark Serge) again, and some time after Serge gained back his original body. It's obvious that the two of them became way stronger after the body swap, and even then, FATE with the Frozen Flame is still much stronger than Dark Serge.

The way this wiki makes the scaling is this:

Lavos > FATE > Dark Serge > Lynx > Lucca >= Lavos (and yes, in Chrono Trigger Lavos can be defeated from also just one or two party members)

So you can see that this does not really make any sense. The main reason why this abomination of a scaling was even argued was because of Lavos absorbing the power of the Earth, thus being already stronger than the Dragon God (aka the boss that is fought instantly before the Time Devourer in Cross), which is the embodiment of the planet's energy and the 6 colors of the elements. But the problem is that the statement here is meant more about the physical planet's core rather than the Dragon God, especially when the Elements weren't exactly a thing in Chrono Trigger at all, as in the first game the "special attacks" are Techs and Items, and not Elements (which also act as consumable stuff other than special attacks), and the Cross Plot wasn't exactly planned when making Trigger, as Cross was made after Radical Dreamers, which was made after Trigger, other than the development of Cross being made only after Trigger. Plus, the first form of Lavos being as strong as the Dragon God is contradicted from the fact that the latter was absorbed from Lavos only when the latter was in the Darkness Beyond Time, and in that place he was already merging with Schala. Thus the energy base Lavos was absorbing in the Earth is not the Dragon God, and the two characters have basically no link to each other.

So in short:
  • Lynx's ForeverZero was used only from stronger form of himself, and that feat is just 4-A.
  • FATE and the Frozen Flame do not scale to base Lavos, but the Time Devourer.
I could talk later about the feats to replace Low 2-C if needed, but this section is more about why Low 2-C is bad. This is not a normal CRT, but something to delete the verse.

If you guys want to discuss the feats, I'll gladly do it, I already have the tiers in mind.

Every profile outside of Lavos is terrible

Lavos is the only profile that can be called decent. Everyone else lacks keys for Early/Mid/Late Game (especially Serge, that mf is the one that goes through the most power ups through the game), keys for Elements (every character in Cross can equip basically all the Elements, and boy there are a lot) and there basically no scans for almost nothing outside few stuff. The MHS+ rating comes from Crono, and is even wrong, given no one is dodging this attack. While I think MHS+ (or even Immeasurable if you highball some stuff enough) can be argued, is definitely not from that.

Not to mention that only Crono, Lucca and Marle have business at having concept resistance from the Dream Devourer's attack, as only them have gotten a power up each right before fighting it. Magus, Frog and Ayla no, they did not, so them fighting him is just Game Mechanics if anything.

Plus the verse page uses just fanart, come on.

Inactive Supporters

Basically, @Ultima_Reality does not bother with the verse anymore, @Hagane_no_Saiyajin is completely inactive, @Jinsye barely bothers with this wiki now, @DarkDragonMedeus is very busy in general, @The_real_cal_howard and @OnsokunoSonic are inactive too.

Plus the last CRT took 1 or 2 months before getting applied, and is too much.

What to do?

Delete the verse, as there's too much wrong with it, pages are all very low quality and fixing it with CRTs would take too much time and effort, and would be way easier to straight up delete and then re-do it from Scratch. The 6D thing is outdated due to the new "bigger than 2-A" standard, and the verse would just be 5D given the Temporal Dimensions stuff anyway.

Lavos' profile should be probably archived, as it as the most useful information after all.

Last edited:
hmm. i think we can keep Lavos profile
Lavos suffers too from this nonsense Low 2-C scaling. I said that it can be kept as an archive,
Weren't the stats large planet level a long time ago? Can it be reverted to that?
Nah, the calc for it was incorrect and uses a map with weird proportions as basis. Large Planet comes from a Black Hole thing from Chrono Cross if we want another reason tho.

You can just delete the badly made ones and recreate them from scratch if that is the case

CRT taking 1-2 months to apply is not really a problem or reason to delete a verse if it becomes a niche verse

Full verse deletion for poor scaling seems dumb. Just make a CRT and fix it rather than just get it all erased and claim you will be working on it. It's literally the exact same amount of work, it's not like there's gonna be anyone actually disagreeing. Remake the profiles all you like, then do the CRT to completely overhaul the verse. I've done as much with other ones, albeit usually a bit smaller. It's what I plan to do for the likes of Okami, which is at the very least as big. Granted that one's been taking a year but not really because of that

Honestly what's the deal with people being so eager to nuke verses lately?

Full verse deletion for poor scaling seems dumb. Just make a CRT and fix it rather than just get it all erased and claim you will be working on it. It's literally the exact same amount of work, it's not like there's gonna be anyone actually disagreeing
So you actually agree with my points?
Following the trend. Though to be fair I saw this procedure accepted. If FNAF got this, why not Chrono too :v

Full verse deletion for poor scaling seems dumb. Just make a CRT and fix it rather than just get it all erased and claim you will be working on it. It's literally the exact same amount of work, it's not like there's gonna be anyone actually disagreeing. Remake the profiles all you like, then do the CRT to completely overhaul the verse, I've done as much with other ones, albeit usually a bit smaller. It's what I plan to do for the likes of Okami, which is at the very least as big.

they are jealous of how pretty the bleach verse and profiles look.
In all honesty it's likely frustration over Messy verses building up over time,and the verse-wide changes they want taking too long so they want to start from scratch.(but that's just what im guessing since im fairly new in here).
also following for Decieved's sake if i have to tell him to ax lavos from the top 10 non smurfs if this goes through.

And the profiles are so damn bad that it's hard for me to get a starting point on why for its own good it should be purged from existence and then re-done from 0.
Broken Window Fallacy is the belief that when something is entirely destroyed, the rebuilding attempts afterwards inherently make it better than it was prior, as they compare it to it's disfunctional state rather than it's intended function, which is reached after rebuilding

Commonly, it's in reference to economics, when the economy is jumpstarted after a crisis such as the Great Depression or COVID-19, when in reality it's only as good as it was before and fixing the issues present with no crisis would have worked just as fine

Similarly, you're assuming that because profiles have incorrect elements to some degree (not even on a fundamental level, formatting and a majority of the abilities are actually correct), they must be entirely deleted and reconstructed rather than putting them into you Sandbox and just editing them for desired revisions
Plus the last CRT took 1 or 2 months before getting applied, and is too much.
This isn't even uncommon, and you can circumvent this by just pushing something through when staff's looked it over and nobody else cares (though I do this mostly for obscurer games that only I interact with, and in Crono's case, there are actually supporters as shown by this CRT getting attention and me and Ed giving in depth thoughts)
The first is FATE's feat of sending an infinite space-time to the Darkness Beyond Time, which is technically sending it to Nonexistence, which is technically fine, if only for the fact that FATE is directly empowered from the Frozen Flame and uses it as power source, meaning that it wasn't just her power alone. This straight up messes with scaling by a good amount, as FATE is supposed to downscale from the Time Devourer, but I'll get there shortly.
This really doesn't matter because it still would mean that Lavos scales and Serge fights FATE while it's empowered by this.
But this Frozen Flame scaling gets even worse when you see the verse's powerscaling, that the VBW pages completely reject for some reason. So, you know Lucca, right? She aided in the defeat of the first form of Lavos in a relatively long battle with 2 companions that were chosen from the player. The thing is that Lynx, a mid-game boss, is heavily implied to have killed her, and it's the entire reason on why Kid is on his ass all the time in the game, as Lynx has killed Lucca and burned to the ground the orphanage she grew in. This already says a lot as FATE with the Frozen Flame is the third to last major boss that is fought in the game, before the Dragon God and the Time Devourer, and Lynx is part of FATE as her biological avatar other than being a boss that is fought in the first half of the game.
She was also much older and not in active combat by that point, Lynx taking her by surprise and suddenly killing her before she can grab her equipment isn't so aggregiously far fetched as to shatter the foundation of the powerscaling.

Obviously there's more to address but I'm a bit rusty so I'll take a bit before I get back to that

Following the trend. Though to be fair I saw this procedure accepted. If FNAF got this, why not Chrono too :v
The difference is, FNAF had a billion nonsense profiles with mixed canons (so composites, which were already against the rules), and they have indeed made multiple revisions to fix those profiles that remained (of which I'm taking care to moderate)

While I can agree with the rest, I see no valid reason to delete Lavos. If your only argument for it is the stats being wrong, you can just revise it, that doesn't warrant deletion.

That the profiles, Lavos excluded, are bad? Yeah, I've thought that for a while too. Don't necessarily have opinions on Low 2-C being an outlier or not but they're just like, pretty transparently dated. I just don't think that warrants deletion especially when Lavos is actually pretty alright.

This really doesn't matter because it still would mean that Lavos scales and Serge fights FATE while it's empowered by this.
Which would completely break the scaling if you're right. Lavos scaling from stuff not too below the Time Devourer is nonsense. The Frozen Flame in Chrono Cross would be > Lavos for this very reason, as both are powered at the same time.
She was also much older and not in active combat by that point, Lynx taking her by surprise and suddenly killing her before she can grab her equipment isn't so aggregiously far fetched as to shatter the foundation of the powerscaling.
Headcanon. Nothing says Lucca got weaker, and the fact that Lynx still managed to harm her means he scales. What's with this nonsense about Lynx not being able to fight against a prime Lucca? Looks like you're making stuff up to justify this.

Which would completely break the scaling if you're right. Lavos scaling from stuff not too below the Time Devourer is nonsense. The Frozen Flame in Chrono Cross would be > Lavos for this very reason, as both are powered at the same time.
The time devourer is still capable of being significantly stronger and eventually eating the multiverse without Lavos not being Low 2-C
Headcanon. Nothing says Lucca got weaker, and the fact that Lynx still managed to harm her means he scales. What's with this nonsense about Lynx not being able to fight against a prime Lucca? Looks like you're making stuff up to justify this.
We know nothing about how it went down outside her being assaulted at an orphanage many years after she killed Lavos. I could argue the very same about assuming it was an actually proper fight with no rust on any of her combative abilities, where she had all of her equipment to properly use her stronger attacks, just so you can burn the entire verse down under the pretense of just being so bad.

The time devourer is still capable of being significantly stronger and eventually eating the multiverse without Lavos not being Low 2-C
This does not refute my point. The Time Devourer should be full on Low 1-C anyway. The Time Devourer and the Frozen Flame have more evidence about them growing stronger at the same time than the latter having a static power level.

If anything, the Time Devourer scales from that version of the FF, not base Lavos.
We know nothing about how it went down outside her being assaulted at an orphanage. I could argue the very same about assuming it was an actually proper fight which Lynx triumphed in despite him literally burning down an orphanage, which doesn't scream that she got a fair death.
What I mean is that Lynx doesn't have dura neg hax or stuff like that. He just set her orphanage on fire and assaulted her. Nothing says her durability decreased enormously since the events of CT (as only 10 years passed and she was a teen in CT), and Lynx has to still scale from that at absolute least for that to work.

If we're going to keep Lavos, then we should at least update him accordingly, before proceeding with the rest.

Reading posts above and also brought up in a staff DM. I personally think nuking the entire verse actually tends to make it harder to fix the verse since it's easier to simply fix an already existing page and rewrite keys, powers and abilities, ect. It's also less work for things like altering the numerous categories and an already existing page means no need to rebuild the "Standard page format". Of course, I can understand some random minor characters who happen to be part of wonky scalings can be deleted, but I feel as if the worst case scenario is keeping the verse page and keeping Lavos at least. And the rest can be rebuild using Sandboxes and what not.

Also, I feel it's iffy to single out Crono, Marle, and Lucca as the 3 strongest party members. I know they're the only ones with dimensional vortexes, and I can understand Frog, Robo, or Ayla just being tag alongs. But Magus is pretty much well intended to be THE strongest party member in canon. Perhaps there's not an explanation for him growing from the time he fought base Lavos and later Dream Devourer, but the alternate universe Magus was holding him off before the party faces him and he also stood his ground to face Schala in canon. Plus there's the fact that Spekkio canonically is a mentor to most of your other party members and teaches them magic where as he literally reacts to Magus with a "He could teach me a thing or two and there's nothing I got to teach him."

Though I recall ProtoDude and others like FateAlbine preferred if none of the party members scaled from the Dream Devourer form at all. Because in the end, Schala was clearly "Holding back" against the party and it ends as a boss no one actually defeats in canon. It's just everyone gets stomped in the end.

I'll just leave those statements above, but I can basically agree that none of the main Trigger case should be Tier 2 yeah.

but the alternate universe Magus was holding him off before the party faces him and he also stood his ground to face Schala in canon. Plus there's the fact that Spekkio canonically is a mentor to most of your other party members and teaches them magic where as he literally reacts to Magus with a "He could teach me a thing or two and there's nothing I got to teach him."
The alternate Magus I don't think should be indexed? Feels like just normal Magus but with Tier 2/1 stats. I don't know, scaling the one we use from a boost only 3 characters got right before the fight seems iffy.
Though I recall ProtoDude and others like FateAlbine preferred if none of the party members scaled from the Dream Devourer form at all. Because in the end, Schala was clearly "Holding back" against the party and it ends as a boss no one actually defeats in canon. It's just everyone gets stomped in the end.
They'd get an "At most" at the worst case.
I'll just leave those statements above, but I can basically agree that none of the main Trigger case should be Tier 2 yeah.
Personally I think the base Tiers are either 6-C (Lavos' explosions around the Earth), 6-B+ (Dino meteor stuff) or 5-A (on Chrono Cross' BlackHole that even Solt and Peppor can use).

I don't believe this verse justifies significant deletion, considering the reasons stated by Armor.

The third reason is Lavos' base form, which is Low 2-C due to to scaling from the Frozen Flame, which can generate power equivalent to a Big Bang, due to it being a splinter of his body. While this sounds solid at first for someone who does not know the verse, if you've played the series, you'd know why context completely contradicts this notion. The Frozen Flame is directly connected to Lavos, and who gets it gets connected to Lavos as well, gaining extraordinary powers, which is technically true, as the Zeal Kingdom intended to use Lavos' power to get eternal life, which is one of the powers that the Frozen Flame grants to its user. The problem is that the Frozen Flame in Chrono Cross is not proven to have such power in Chrono Trigger, and in fact, Lavos gets constantly empowered from absorbing stuff like energy, magic, living beings or also dreams (aka the Type 1 concepts that shape reality and yadda yadda, you know), and thanks to the latter and merging with Schala, Lavos became first the Dream Devourer, and then the Time Devourer. This already should tell that scaling a Frozen Flame that is connected from the Time Devourer to a Lavos of two evolutive stages before it's already stupid.
Being a single chunk of Juvenile Lavos should still make it massively weaker than pretty much anything Lavos has, it's weaker than a fraction of its power.
Oh, sure, let's powerscale based on an offscreen, "heavily implied fight." She definitely was just as strong as in her prime, and had all her gear on her, and saw him coming, and was fully prepared, and knew every power he had, and wasn't distracted by a burning orphanage.
Ok, but have you considered that's good actually?

Being a single chunk of Juvenile Lavos should still make it massively weaker than pretty much anything Lavos has, it's weaker than a fraction of its power.
A fraction that is linked to the Time Devourer and made FATE one of the last bosses before the Time Devourer?

Man are you telling me Serge became from Base Lavos tier to Time Devourer Tier in a span of not even a half-a-day? That's pure nonsense.
Oh, sure, let's powerscale based on an offscreen, "heavily implied fight." She definitely was just as strong as in her prime, and had all her gear on her, and saw him coming, and was fully prepared, and knew every power he had, and wasn't distracted by a burning orphanage.
There's no reason to assume Lucca became magnitudes weaker than she was at the time. People act like witohout her gear she's nothing physically, when she must have enough durability to sustain the fights she did in CT.
Ok, but have you considered that's good actually?
It's unprofessional. Fanarts can all burn, regardless of quality, when the official one is good enough.
So, what do we do here? Close this and make new profiles?

A fraction that is linked to the Time Devourer and made FATE one of the last bosses before the Time Devourer?

Man are you telling me Serge became from Base Lavos tier to Time Devourer Tier in a span of not even a half-a-day? That's pure nonsense.
I mean, Crono went from getting onetapped by Lavos to fighting on par with it in about a day.
There's no reason to assume Lucca became magnitudes weaker than she was at the time. People act like witohout her gear she's nothing physically, when she must have enough durability to sustain the fights she did in CT.
Getting old and not fighting makes you way weaker. You're assuming he just went in there, she was in her prime, she knew he was there, they fought each other evenly, he killed her, and then he walked away and burned the place behind him.

Seriously, go find an old guy who used to be a professional boxer like 60 years ago, he's not going to be very hard to beat up.

I mean, Crono went from getting onetapped by Lavos to fighting on par with it in about a day.
This does not answer the fact that FATE is literally the last boss before the Dragon God and Time Devourer, those bosses are all perceived as Gods, and saying that the Time Devourer is magnitudes above the previous ones is nonsense, especially when Chrono needed a big amp to even fight the Dream Devourer.
Getting old and not fighting makes you way weaker. You're assuming he just went in there, she was in her prime, she knew he was there, they fought each other evenly, he killed her, and then he walked away and burned the place behind him.
My guy, Lucca was in her teens in Trigger, and only 20 years passed when Cross began. Why are you assuming she became extremely old?

I can help with that at least
Alr. There are a good chunk of 9-B/9-A feats for Early game for both Trigger and Cross, with also 8-B/8-A ones too for the former, then we got for Lavos tiers characters stuff from Tier 6 to 5.

I personally can see the Dream Devourer at "[Whatever tier base Lavos is], likely Low 1-C" due to that end of existence thing, and stuff for the Time Devourer at "Low 2-C, likely Low 1-C" (or just Low 1-C if you think that each timeline has two temporal dimensions, as the Black Omen has never gone in other timelines, was still in just the Trigger one).

Speed is kinda a can of worms (you can unironically argue Immeasurable for any base Lavos tier character lmao), but MHS+ through scaling from the Epoch is kinda solid (as that thing can cross the Earth's circumference in 15-ish seconds and characters can react to its lasers and even jump on it mid-flight).

I can't speak on tier 2 and above feats but uh, the Epoch's speed is kinda wanky, we don't use world maps for this stuff anymore so the looping isn't really legit

BTW if you want me to go through like, character movesets and items in Trigger and get P&A from that I can do that, should be easy enough

BTW if you want me to go through like, character movesets and items in Trigger and get P&A from that I can do that, should be easy enough
We can work together on that, I made research on Chrono myself and I can add other stuff as well.

Plus there's not just Trigger, but also Radical Dreamers and Cross, and RD got the official translation last year, so we can use it instead of the fanmade one (and the creator of that fanmade even said that the official one is very high quality and even complimented them on some choices).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back