• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chicxulub Impact Event updated yield estimate

Soldier_Blue

VS Battles
Retired
The Wikipedia article on the Chicxulub crater uses some updated estimates for the kinetic energy of the impactor. Scroll down to the Impact Specifics section.

According to this reference link, the impact energy was in the range of 1.3e24 J to 5.8e25 J. That's ~310 Teratons to ~13.8 Petatons.

The latter seems like a real high end. However, the low end is far more plausible. And using this impact calculator and playing around with the values (using 10,000 metre projectile diameter) does also give yield estimates well beyond just 100 Teratons. I'm getting impactor energy estimates all the way from 300 Teratons to 600 Teratons for carving out a crater 180 to 200 km in diameter.

Proposal:
Per Andytrenom's suggestions:

Tier: At least High 6-B, possibly High 6-A

Attack Potency:
At least Large Country level, possibly Multi-Continent level (Recent estimates peg the impact energy at 310 Teratons to 13.8 Petatons of TNT equivalent. Impact event caused rapid acidification of the Earth's oceans and long-lasting global climate changes and ultimately caused a global extinction event which wiped out 75% of all species on Earth)

Speed: At least High Hypersonic to High Hypersonic+ (Impactor would have entered Earth's atmosphere at velocities of potentially tens of kilometres per second)

13.8 petatons is 6-A right?

And why is the low end far more plausible? The article just mentions the two possibilities, not comment on which one is likelier

13.8 Petatons would be High 6-A. It just seems like a real high-ball. And playing around with that impact calculator I linked gives consistent triple digit Teraton yields.

That's why I suggested going with the 310 Teraton end and adding "At least" to the rating.

If they are credible scientists, I'd rather not use values found by fiddling with an internet calculator to discredit part of their findings . Sticking with low ends in a calc is also something you do to avoid inflating a verse, which is less of a problem when dealing with real life calculations,

Well, if the underlying assumptions were in the article itself I guess we could use that to discuss probability, but given we just have two values and the scientists themselves didn't point out one end being likelier, I don't think using the magnitude of one end to decide feasibility is a good idea

Back