• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Idea thought of from this thread.

Chakra and souls have been intertwined closely in the Narutoverse. It's come to the point where you would think chakra and souls are the same.
I have a few examples I'm thinking of in the verse, and a friend of mine suggested limited soul manipulation

What I Will Not Do​

I won't discuss Minato's connection with Truth-Seeking Orbs.
I request that this thread have nothing to do with this topic for reasons such as
  1. Against the Discussion Rules.
  2. IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 has already had a good explanation of it on this thread.
  3. Extremely played out.
    1. This has been going on for at least 2 years now since the last thread that was linked on the Discussion Rules.
    2. It's obvious that even the staff are sick and tired of arguing about it.
  4. The argument would be much stronger if a played out point isn't brought back up.

What We Know About Chakra​

Chakra is the combination of Physical Energy and Spiritual Energy.
Spirit = Soul. That should be easy enough.
This is backed up by Tayuya's technique, Revolt of the Demon World

Revolt of the Demon World (Makyou no Ran)​

• Ninjutsu, B-rank, Offensive, Close to mid-range
  • User: Tayuya
The battle’s grand finale is a fiendish dance. The dead souls seek out life in a savage ballet. The floating onslaught of the craving apparitions!!

Tayuya manipulates three Doki with the sound of her flute. Her releasing of the materialized spirits – which is to say the special chakra sealed inside of those Doki – marks the start of the grand finale, a feast: the Revolt of the Demon World… The materialized spirits are composed almost only of spiritual energy, so the chakra is in an unstable state. Therefore, they are starved for physical energy, search for it and gnash at it greedily…! There is no choice: the prey engaged in this endless pursuit perishes in the unsightly, frantic choreography.

Wielded through the intonations of the Demonic Flute, they devour physical energy…!!
Which is shown to be intangible (goes through a tree here) and stated in manga to be mostly made out of spiritual energy.

Dead Demon Consuming Seal​

The Dead Demon Consuming Seal is a sealing jutsu created to seal and manipulate souls. Uses of the jutsu:
  • Sealed the soulsof Hashirama and Tobirama.
    • As that happened, the jutsu that was initiated by Hashirama was cancelled.
  • Sealed the soul of the hands of Orochimaru.
  • Sealed one half of Kurama into Naruto and into Minato.
One thing we notice about it though is that it was able to seal Kurama.
Things we know.
  • Kurama is a bijuu. The bijuu are purelychakra.
  • Kurama was stated to have gotten smallerafter his soul was split in half.
    • We visibly see the soul of Kurama being ripped out of him as that's happening.
    • A chakra monster gets smaller as his soul is ripped in half.
    • That explains why the horn and tails that are cut off of the Gyuki aren't regrown, since you can't regrow souls.
  • We see Minato's and Kurama's souls linked together.
    • It's stated that the souls of the user and the caster will battle forever.
      • Which explains why Minato was able to get Nine-Tails Chakra Mode, which is gained by taking the chakra of Kurama.

Hagoromo and Obito's Return​

Hagoromo was able to return to the place of the living because his chakra was reunited.
  • Hagoromo is clearly dead, but he says that he has wandered throughout the world as chakra(he flat out says that he's dead).
    • He says that Naruto summoned his soul, so it's confirmation that Hagoromo as of that point is a soul.
    • He is a soul that wanders as chakra, hmm...
      • His soul gave Naruto and Sasuke chakra, and was weakened after that.
      • When they sealed Kaguya, he got his chakra back.
  • He says that his son, Ashura, reincarnated into Naruto.
    • Reincarnation Definition
      • The belief that the soul, upon death of the body, comes back to earth in another body or form.
      • Rebirth of the soul in a new body.
      • A new incarnation or embodiment, as of a person.
    • Hagoromo says he sees his chakra clinging onto Naruto.
Obito Uchiha was destroyed. We know that for certain, he was dead.
  • Obito states that Chakra is an energy that connects two worlds.
    • Obito is dead. What worlds could he mean? Maybe the otherworld (where dead people go) and the real world.
      • Hagoromo says that Obito and him will talk in the afterworld. I know this isn't really super important, but it's self explanatory.
  • Obito's soul reappears and possesses Kakashi.
    • As that happened, Kakashi got his Mangekyos and his Six Paths chakra.
    • When he left, what came with Obito left with Obito.

Asura Path and Orochimaru, then some Chakra Arm, Similarities​

The Asura Path rips out the soul of people to gain information. We know now that souls have something to do with knowledge.
We see that Orochimaru, after getting his chakra back from Kabuto, all of his intel was transferred into Orochimaru as well.
  • The soul is connected with intelligence.
  • Chakra is connected with intelligence.
Naruto uses his chakra hands to pull his soul back.
  • Naruto calls his soul his life force. We know about Uzumaki's life forces and such.
Everybody with Naruto's cloak was able to pull the bijuu back by pulling on Minato's chakra arms, which were indirectly pulling the bijuu out of Obito.

Orochimaru, after getting his hands sealed, was unable to use hand seals. It was at the point where he was injured just because of the loss of his hands' soul. He almost died as well.
He thought Tsunade's medical ninjutsu could heal his hands. Medical ninjutsu is flat out just applying chakra on the target (search Mystical Palm Technique), so if chakra can restore a missing part of the soul, that says a lot.

Susanoo​

Itachi's Susanoo can also hold the Sword of Totsuka, which has no physical form, also the Yata mirror, which has no physical form, since they are Spirit Weapons.

Spirit Transformation Technique and Edo Tensei​

Madara's Body: Soul starts to leave, but it goes right back into Madara's body.
Mei Terumi: Madara's chakra, which had started to separate from his body, is now clinging firmly to it.
We know these are souls because Dan flat out confirms that they're souls.
  • Dan: Souls ascending after being released from the Edo Tensei can be controlled with this Jutsu too.
It's weird, since literally everybody can see the souls.
  • Exhibit A.
  • Exhibit B.
  • Exhibit C (communicates with the soul).
  • Exhibit D.
  • Exhibit E.
Dan, after using the Spirit Transformation Technique, is able to give Tsunade chakra. That's very important as well since the burns inflicted on Tsunade were healed and her seal was fixed to the point where she can summon (with Sakura's help) a large ass amount of Katsuyu.
It says that it affects the soul of a victim as well (databook), more evidence.
Even Dan can't go through a pure chakra barrier when he turns into a ghost.

In Conclusion​

Chakra has god knows how much to do with the soul.
Non-Physical Interaction and Soul Manipulation should be given to those who manifest their chakra, like Jinchuriki, Rinnegan users, and Susanoo users.
Anybody else that gets it is decided on by those stated in the comments.

Results​

8 Agree: Rocker1189, M3X, TheFinalOrder, Shadyboi0, 00potato, Shadowbokunohero (Staff), The_Alxhemist, Jvando (Staff), DarkDragonMedeus (Staff)
2 Agree With NPI but Disagree with Soul Manipulation: UchihaSlayer96, Purgy,
0 Agree With Soul Manipulation but Disagree with NPI:
0 Disagree:
5 Inconclusive:
BlastX, OneBleachHurricane, Damage3245 (Staff), Elizhaa (Staff)

Last edited:
I'm constantly editing it in case there's anything else to add btw

I dont remember anyone being able to I teract with a soul directly exept for the main characters/important ones

So not everyone would have it

As for soul manipulation all that characters that have been shown to interact or manipulate souls already have it on their profiles

I agree with this. Susanoo is a big supporter of this as it is able to hold completely spiritual weapons with no physical form. (They already have NPI but still).

Last edited:
I agree with this. Susanoo is a big supporter of this as it is able to hold completely spiritual weapons with no physical form. (They wlaready have NPI but still).
That's my point, all those that qualify already have that on their profiles for what I remember

I dont remember anyone being able to I teract with a soul directly exept for the main characters/important ones

So not everyone would have it

As for soul manipulation all that characters that have been shown to interact or manipulate souls already have it on their profiles
Kurama Chakra Mode Naruto has Resistance to Soul Manipulation, (Resisted Nagato's attempt to extract his soul, although he was saved by Itachi soon after). If this was accepted, he would get Soul Manipulation w/ chakra limbs. Minato, same as Naruto.

Rinnegan Sasuke has Soul Manip because of Rinnegan, yet with his Susanoo he should get it for earlier iterations for my reasons. Madara, same as Sasuke.

DMS Kakashi does not. Itachi does not. (Susanoo users)

Killer B and other Jinchuriki don't.

Now I'm thinking, Sasuke's Susano'o with Rinnegan blocked Infinite Tsukuyomi light, and it isn't normal light, since it could pass through solid objects. Would that be Resistance to intangible attacks or what?

that's not really related to the thread but I don't care

Now I'm thinking, Sasuke's Susano'o with Rinnegan blocked Infinite Tsukuyomi light, and it isn't normal light, since it could pass through solid objects. Would that be Resistance to intangible attacks or what?

that's not really related to the thread but I don't care
One of the proposed additions is Non-Physical interaction, so it counts.

I agree with it though.

I've really gotta go for today, but I'll share this interesting statement made by Mei in case I forget later. I think it could be relevant here as extra support perhaps.

Edit: nvm, Tempest already has it lol.

Last edited:
Itachi's Susanoo, pure chakra, chopped the soul/life force out of Nagato's hands, as we can see it around Naruto.
Didn't Itachi just rip off Nagato's arms, which were holding on to Naruto's soul? I don't think he ripped off the soul itself.

The fact that Orochimaru wasn't able to perform hand seals even with healthy arms until his soul arms returned to him proves that chakra is connected to souls.

Didn't Itachi just rip off Nagato's arms, which were holding on to Naruto's soul? I don't think he ripped off the soul itself.
He has his hands in a ✋ position, and we see Naruto's soul connected to his body like a wet noodle. Naruto's soul is hanging there and nothing is connected to the other side.
It's honestly just speculation that the arm was chopped off, it looks like the soul was chopped.
Not even including the fact that Killer Bee came in with a chakra enhanced blade (his blades weren't enhanced when he was fighting Itachi), so he was definitely focused for the soul.

OUtrAgEOUs! HOw dOEs thIs mAkE Any sEnsE? - IDK, some guy who just disagrees

But on topic, put me on neutral, and let's wait and see what staff have to say about the information given

I agree with this. Susanoo is a big supporter of this as it is able to hold completely spiritual weapons with no physical form. (They already have NPI but still).
Itachi's Susanoo wielding spiritual weapons that have no physical form, added.
The fact that Orochimaru wasn't able to perform hand seals even with healthy arms until his soul arms returned to him proves that chakra is connected to souls.
Orochimaru not able to perform hand seals and Tsunade applying chakra (my portion I wanted to add) to fix a missing part of the soul, added.

I always supported chakra been related to souls. My original claim was that souls in Naruto were made out of chakra thanks to Obito’s connection to the world which was connected through chakra. The only problem I have is that souls in Naruto have not shown intangibility besides exiting the Edo bodies. But I support it.

Last edited:
I always supported chakra been related to souls. My original claim was that souls in Naruto were made out of chakra thanks to Obito’s connection to the world which was connected through chakra. The only problem I have is that souls in Naruto have not shown intangibility besides existing the Edo bodies. But I support it.
nor invisibility if memory serves right

Summoning: Demonic Statue of the Outer Path: The statue's mouth then emitted chakra in the form of a dragon capable of extracting the chakra of anything it touched, killing humans immediately.

The Human Path: has the ability to read the mind of any target by placing his hand on the target's head or chest and yanking the soul out of the body.

The Naraka Path: King of Hell unzips its mouth to release tendril-like arms and draws out an apparition of the victim's life force energy in the form of an enlarged tongue.

Question is Life Force Energy connected to Chakra, the Soul, both or neither?

Question is Life Force Energy connected to Chakra, the Soul, both or neither?
Life Force = Physical Energy, which is why Uzumakis, Senjus, and those with large life forces have huge ass chakra pools.

Chakra is connected to the Soul, for obvious reasons.

So both.

Life force + Soul = Chakra.

dont think so cus what stuff like that absorb is the result of the combination of soul/mental + physical energy, meaning the whole fire, wind, earth and any combination of those etc.
Which would still be limited Soul Manipulation right because part of the Soul is still part of the composition?

Also wouldn't this give them unconventional resistance to energy absorption since youd need to absorb their soul?

Also wouldn't this give them unconventional resistance to energy absorption since youd need to absorb their soul?
Unless you have an absorption that can absorb both souls and energy. If you can only do one, it wont work on the other.

An example is like a grass water pokemon. You can burn it, but if you can't handle the water, it won't do anything.

also has anyone called mods?
I called Damage, ShadowBNH, and a few other active Knowledgeable members of Naruto (check my latest activity).
I'll probably call more tomorrow since it's late where some other people are at. If you guys have anybody else in mind, please call them.

So, to absorb a Ninjutsu, the opponent would need to absorb both soul and energy?

Exactly.

Ninjutsu is made out of chakra, which consists of Energy Manipulation and Soul Manipulation.
You can't absorb it unless you can wield both. You can't burn a leaf that's full of water (you actually can, please don't debunk me, it's metaphorical).

Now, if you say in a battle that the absorber is allowed to treat ninjutsu like regular energy manipulation, that's different. But basically, it's all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back