• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Does... Thor 1, Thor: the Dark World, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp are considered average movies?

Well, their score are around 7, and 7 is considered to be average, or ok/fine. Not that interesting and not shit, but good enough to be average.

When I was looking through, I found this as a sypnosis for the movie on quite a few occasions. I can't collapse this, so I'm giving a warning that this is a Spoiler.

The story follows Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe's most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, Captain Marvel is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Spoilers:

I'm not sure if the Supreme Intelligence is male or female in the Comics and I don't really care, but, in my opinion, it works better as a blob rather than humanoid. This is a totally superficial detail, however, and it does nothing to the actual experience of the movie.

The first 10 or so minutes of the movie is very boring and filled with exposition. It starts to get a bit better when Starforce goes on some form of mission, but even in the shoot out its still boring because they're not really fighting, it's just a mindless shoot out. It gets even more boring after. Monica Rambeau/Photon exists. On the side of her mother's ship (in the comics at least) has the words "Maria "Photon" Rambeau".

I felt Brie Larson's acting wasn't very good in some scenes.

In the film Marvel displays some resistance to a sort of Skrull stun baton and can survive in space with a retractable mask. Also, while her base form energy blasts are stronger than her punches (they eventually shatter cuffs her punches can't, propells her through space when she can barely hold on, and debilitates people stronger than her), they should somewhat scale, as enemies who she can hurt are able to survive them. She also withstood a fall from orbit while her escape pod had been destroyed, tears off metal, and can fight what I'd eyball to be Wall level Skrulls.

Starlight-Swimming said:
After Carol achieves her full power absolutely nothing in the film threatens her, and the rest of her feats are performed very casually.
I'd like to correct this. The Kree missiles do make her struggle. There is an extended scene of her very slowly overpowering one. She can destroy them just fine with her photon blasts, but physically pushing one back is a challenge.

I think there's more to consider than just the explosive energy of Earth's missiles. There's also response time. Unless the Kree fired almost directly over a missile silo, no response system on the planet would be able to adequately intercept an attack like that in just a few minutes. Not only would the threat have to be identified, but it would then have to travel through the proper channels, who would then have to give the word to fire missiles back, which would then have to have accurate enough targeting to tag the incoming missiles. There's a lot of steps to go through!

Yes, I think the statement is at least in part due to "Earth's defenses are currently far too primitive to stop something that can just instantly nuke it from space after coming out of nowhere".

Granted, I'm pretty sure those missiles were meant to be extremely destructive, but I can't remember the exact dialogue used in the earlier scene where Ronan suggested using them.

I'm sure this will all be meaningless next month, though. I can almost guarantee Endgame will provide better scaling than any of the (surprisingly unimpressive) AP feats in this movie, what with how hard they seemed to have hyped Captain Marvel as being at a similar level to the heavy hitters.

We see the missiles land at the beginning of the film. They are very impressive in terms of yield. I think(?) they make explosions that can be compared to the curvature of the planet. But I'm not clear on that detail, and I don't know if it's the "real" curvature of the planet or just an artifact of a wide-angle camera.

Might aswell post here before i got to work

Watched the film and thought it was okay. very average..

the directing was super bland, Brie's acting was as wooden as Anakin's and that comes down to the directing as she was fine in many other movies.

I wouldn't honestly use RT audience score for anything if anything it's just as Biased as the critic score so many despise as it's entirely fueled by Political Bias oppose to the quality of the film itself as there is Objective proof of facebook groups and subreddits dedicated to reviewing bombing the film when it releases.

either way, it felt like a Phase 1 film but not Iron man level closer to something like the Hulk and the first thor.

It's another generic film benefitting off the controversy

5/10

OP: Not gonna watch Captain Marvel. Are there any good feats?

Thread: *100+ posts about the dumb bullshit Brie Larson and marketing executives said/did, the changes that have happened to modern feminism, and Rotten Tomatoes review scores*

Captain Marvel really was the strongest Avenger the whole time. She derailed this entire thread before it even got o the rails, in the first place.

I will remove all the derailment caused by my comments. My apologies. It was very unprofessional of me. I am extremely frustrated by the social development in my country and the rest of the western world in general.

Not a reply, just copied the expandable text block but forgot to refresh the page.

I watched Captain Marvel with Friends last night. I paid no attention to the media buzz surrounding the actor prior to viewing because "I'm not brave enough for politics." I want to judge movies as just movies based on their narrative, characters, and my entertainment.

My Rating: 7/10 Okay.

Plot and Characters

In regards to Carol's character arc, it's basically "breaking free of the mental restraints you put on yourself," caused by those around you. I mean, it's fine, but I was hoping for something more.

People started calling Rambeau Carol's love interest which I don't really see. The film simply showed that they were best friends since they were kids. Rambeau lost the father of her kid for unknown reasons. Not every meaningfull relationship is a romance. *couch*RWBY*cough*

My only knowledge of the Kree and Skrull come from the Marvel Animated Universe. From what I remember in the show, they lost their home to Galactus (EMH). Both sides are at war, and both sides are self-absorbed. The Skrull are devoted to prophecies. The Kree have very low respect for other sentient life. Michael Korvac is a good example of the lengths they will go for the war.

Guardians of the Galaxy showed us that the Kree aren't friends to the universe.

I think after the success of sympathetic villains like Thanos and Killmonger, they are gonna start modifying characters to get the same reaction. Turning the Skrull into refugees undermines the "Both sides of a war are evil" message I had in my head. From what the movie portrayed, it wasn't a war anymore, it was genocide, killing "Every single one of them. And not just the men... but the women... and the children too."
Power Scale

After finding out that Captain Marvel got her powers from the Lightspeed engine which in turn came from the Tesseract, I kept wondering to what extent her powers go. If anything, I guess that the MCU are planning to make her comaprable to Thor (Marvel Cinematic Universe) or the Hulk (Marvel Cinematic Universe).

Just because the site is called Vs. Battles doesn't mean literally everything will be about power scaling, I didn't even know this was originally a CRT because you shouldn't make CRTs for things that haven't been fully released yet. I made the first comment. Of course this was going to delve into a general discussion about the film's blatant political agenda. You do not need to be actively looking for it, it's right in your face if you pay even the slightest bit of attention. And as a film student on the verge of graduation, I am highly perceptive of films in general.

Well, unfortunately the western world has become so polarised that we cannot even have these kind of civil rational discussions without risking to have large parts of our members heavily antagonised against each other. I definitely don't like it either, and I obviously agree with your points, but we cannot risk to damage the community.

If the discussion got heated, I wasn't around for it but obviously that would be a good reason to cease that particular topic. I was under the impression everyone was on the same page. Hmm.

Well, it didn't get heated yet, but others noticed that there was a clear risk after my comments, so I removed the resulting discussion.

As a bureaucrat I have to make a greater effort to stay neutral, but it isn't always easy when I constantly read about new completely insane things in the news.

Let's just leave it at that I am going to go see Alita instead.

Speaking of which, Sera, given that this may be the first Hollywood manga adaption that is actually good, is the reaction positive in Japan? Television interviews with the original manga creator and such?

I have yet to watch the movie, but from many accounts, it doesn't appear to have any apparently political agenda. It's more like Wonder Woman in that regard. If you want someone to blame, blame the knuckleheads who are promoting the film even on this very goddamn website.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
They also said something along the lines of "Earth doesn't have a defense system strong enough to shoot down our missiles". Something to that effect, for whatever it's worth.
Misleading, he's not talking about strength as in attack potency, but strength as in versatility and general sophistication/application. Earth can barely go to the moon at this point, they definitely can't calculate and blow dozens of nukes out of the sky.

Regardless, Captain Marvel does not tank any of the explosions from these bombs, she collides with one and eventually manages to steer it away to the others setting off a chain reaction of explosions (for which she then flies through, granted, but she never is seen tanking the epicenter directly).

Honestly her best feat looks like 8-B from a glance (and that's flying through a bunch of exploding spacecraft like butter), and for a majority of the movie she's just an enhanced human with a higher power attack.

Antvasima said:
Speaking of which, Sera, given that this may be the first Hollywood manga adaption that is actually good, is the reaction positive in Japan? Television interviews with the original manga creator and such?
It certainly is the best manga to film adaption from Hollywood, although in all fairness that isn't saying much. It definitely shouldn't be compared to the likes of Dragonball Evolution or even video game adaptations done wrong like that horrendous Legend of Chun Li movie. Most people I know enjoyed Atila, many being fans of the original 90s manga, but I'm not sure what Kishiro had to say about it yet.

Okay. Thank you for the reply. Feel free to inform me if they interview Kishiro.

not seen the movie, what exact tier she is in the movie minus word of god statements? no spoilers.

i scrolled down this thread immediately down in the reply box so i won't read this discussion yet.

The Incredible Hulk is actually entertaining, I really liked the homage to the 1970s series at the beginning, and the parts where Bruce was hiding or acting like the genius he is, mostly due to Norton's performance. And Hulk's appearance in the movie was just awesome and he looks beastly. Not only that but Hulk vs Abomination was just badass, especially the car gloves and the sheer brutality displayed

So I doubt Incredible Hulk is one of the worst movies in the MCU

Back