• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Captain Atom resistance to Statistical Analysis

During Captain Atom: Armageddon, despite fighting Midnighter several times, Captain Atom seems to not be effected by the Fight computer with Midnighter failing to anticipate him again and again.

Midnighter's fight computer runs a million combat scenarios and gives him the best way to react so he can get the best possible future he wants. This includes their powers.

However, as shown, Captain Atom keeps surprising and stomping him and he didn't know Captain Atom's powers, merely guessing they're atomic (they're quantum)

Midnighter being tagged by Captain Atom doesn't mean he couldn't read or analyse his powers. It could be due to a variety of reasons, such as Midnighter not being fast enough to react in time, or being busy with someone else he's fighting or distracted by something else, or him just not using it because he was being careless. He's been tagged by random stuff a few times

In Midnigher 2007 #3, he fails to dodge a missile and is surprised by this large vehicle that runs over him
Here's him being surprised by a big plant monster in The Authority 2008 #8

Him saying that Captain Atom's powers are obviously nuclear is not an indication of Midnighter being unable to read him, he's simply stating the obvious

Midnighter being tagged by Captain Atom doesn't mean he couldn't read or analyse his powers. It could be due to a variety of reasons, such as Midnighter not being fast enough to react in time, or being busy with someone else he's fighting or distracted by something else, or him just not using it because he was being careless. He's been tagged by random stuff a few times

In Midnigher 2007 #3, he fails to dodge a missile and is surprised by this large vehicle that runs over him

Him saying that Captain Atom's powers are obviously nuclear is not an indication of Midnighter being unable to read him, he's simply stating the obvious
I'm leaning more towards this. I'm not sure "Resistance to Statistical Analysis" makes a lot of sense

Captain Atom seems to not be effected by the Fight computer
In this scan I'm not sure what is meant to indicated that he isn't effected by it. Midnighter doesn't seem surprised even when Atom grabs him from behind by the collar, he calmly instructs Apollo to react in his stead.

Midnighter saying "Apollo?" in the first scan makes me think that he was expecting Apollo to win. We could say that the fight computer failed to predict that Captain Atom would succeed, but I wouldn't be hasty to attribute that to a special ability from Captain Atom. To be honest, given DC's general writing style, I would expect that if the reason Midnighter failed to predict that was indeed due to Captain Atom being uniquely resistant to being analyzed, they would directly say that by having Midnighter express some sort of shock or disbelief about it. Like "but how! The computer was sure Apollo was stronger than you!" or etc. It seems like the computer is simply fallible here.

Ah, so that's how his analysis works. That makes sense.

Back