• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Can characters touch the Monarch of Pointland?

Question is the title. I think characters sometimes can. If the particles of a character comes into contact with MoP (so MoP didn't go through the gaps between the particles), MoP will be sent flying at almost the speed of light because of his virtually zero mass. In versus threads, this will mean a win by BFR for the other character.

I think it's possible to touch Arthur Square or other two-dimensional beings given two-dimensional beings have both length and width, which we can see quite well. There's no need for ridiculous levels of precision in order to make contact with a two-dimensional being.

I can't say the same for one-dimensional beings, let alone the Monarch of Pointland. King of Lineland might have knowledge on the concept of speed since he is one-dimensional and speed only requires one dimension of travel. As for the Monarch of Pointland, even though he is indeed immobile, the fact that points are zero-dimensional means you have to be exact in order to touch him. By exact, I mean you can't even be a Planck length off. No fictional character is even capable of doing that, not physically.

To even touch a zero-dimensional being like the Monarch of Pointland, you have to have Quantum Manipulation, which affects space as far down as you can get because quantum mechanics rely on the String Theory among many other things like Planck concepts. Thing is anyone with Quantum Manipulation stomps the Monarch since he is incapable of doing anything but glow and gloat.

How come you need to be absolutely exact to touch MoP? That's only the case if a point tries to touch him. A solid object can simply walk through MoP, and MoP will get hit as long as he didn't go through the gaps between the object's particles. It's like how the Earth can hit a marble in its orbital path. Same goes for King of Lineland.

DaSmileKat said:
How come you need to be absolutely exact to touch MoP?
I just told you, he has no length, width, depth, or any sort of dimension. A point, dimensionally-speaking, has zero dimensions, making it infinitesimally small. Again, you can't even be a Planck length off considering this and all I've said before.

Uh, really? The Earth obviously doesn't have to be exact within a few centimeters in order to hit a marble, and if we shrink that marble to a single point, this still applies.

DaSmileKat said:
Uh, really? The Earth obviously doesn't have to be exact within a few centimeters in order to hit a marble, and if we shrink that marble to a single point, this still applies.
No it doesn't. Marbles are three-dimensional objects; of course the Earth would run into that thing and vice-versa. We're talking about a zero-dimensional being here; the marble-Earth analogy DOESN'T APPLY here.

You can shrink that marble into whatever volume that's greater than 0, and the Earth will still run into it. You can infinitely approach 0 and it still applies, so there's no reason that it doesn't apply when the volume is 0.

DaSmileKat said:
How come you need to be absolutely exact to touch MoP? That's only the case if a point tries to touch him. A solid object can simply walk through MoP, and MoP will get hit as long as he didn't go through the gaps between the object's particles. It's like how the Earth can hit a marble in its orbital path. Same goes for King of Lineland.
We are mostly gap.

True. But there's always the chance that the Monarch of Pointland's wave function (this is according to quantum mechanics, and I assume it applies to MoP) merges with the wave function of another particle. Neutrinos can pass through matter not because it is so small, but because it only interacts via the weak nuclear force. That's obviously not the case for MoP, since it glows and can talk, which means it must also interact via electromagnetism.

DaSmileKat said:
You can shrink that marble into whatever volume that's greater than 0, and the Earth will still run into it. You can infinitely approach 0 and it still applies, so there's no reason that it doesn't apply when the volume is 0.
That's not how it works at all. When it hits zero volume, there's effectively nothing to hit at all. The Earth might as well phase through it.

Back