• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Calculating Lifting Strength From Pushing Down On Things | General Discussion

Jason Sith wanted a general discussion thread to "determine material denting and bending feats and how to calculate attack potency and lifting strength from such". The feat in question: Here, although this will also be for similar feats too

i can tell you for free the current calc is bunk

PSI is pounds per square inch, i.e force per unit area.
you multiplied a volume you seemingly pulled out of your ass by steel's compressive strength (also, sources would be nice beyond just "saw it on the common feats page") but also in the same vein used the destruction values of concrete? pick one

your pixel scaling is also really weird. the orange and yellow lines you measured aren't the on the axes of the semi-ellipsoid you're assuming the shape to be. it'd be like me drawing a random line from one point on a circle to another and saying "ok this is the diameter" even when it's clearly not

to actually address the LS part - no clue, honestly. usually for stuff where something was destroyed by an application of force, you can divide the energy required to do the feat by the distance said force was applied. maybe since you're assuming the crater is as deep as the man's heel, divide the energy required to frag the concrete by the length of the heel and there's your force in newtons?

PSI is pounds per square inch, i.e force per unit area.
you multiplied a volume you seemingly pulled out of your ass by steel's compressive strength (also, sources would be nice beyond just "saw it on the common feats page") but also in the same vein used the destruction values of concrete? pick one

to actually address the LS part - no clue, honestly. usually for stuff where something was destroyed by an application of force, you can divide the energy required to do the feat by the distance said force was applied. maybe since you're assuming the crater is as deep as the man's heel, divide the energy required to frag the concrete by the length of the heel and there's your force in newtons?
I can certainly say it definitely has to do with pressure; in fact, a lot of engineering mechanics (shear, compressive, tensile, and flexural strength, along with practically every modulus in the book) are measured in terms of pressure. Generally speaking, 1 psi is equal to 6894.76 pascals (newtons per square meter). It depends on what you use.

In this case, if you're crushing something against a hard surface, then you should use compressive strength. If you're bending something, typically flexural yield strength or flexural strength (studies sometimes use either term interchangeably, so watch out for that). Here's a little infographic on how to use each type of strength:

xJ26D2Y.png

In the case of compressive strength, you'll need the area of the side of the object you're pressing against.

I can certainly say it definitely has to do with pressure; in fact, a lot of engineering mechanics (shear, compressive, tensile, and flexural strength, along with practically every modulus in the book) are measured in terms of pressure. Generally speaking, 1 psi is equal to 6894.76 pascals (newtons per square meter). It depends on what you use.

In this case, if you're crushing something against a hard surface, then you should use compressive strength. If you're bending something, typically flexural yield strength or flexural strength (studies sometimes use either term interchangeably, so watch out for that). Here's a little infographic on how to use each type of strength:

xJ26D2Y.png

In the case of compressive strength, you'll need the area of the side of the object you're pressing against.
thanks for the infographic, i appreciate it, but i didn't mention pressure at all lol
you're the first person to say the word in this thread
my main gripes were bad pixel scaling, multiplying a volume by a measurement explicitly using area and the sudden change-up of what material it was supposed to be

while you're here actually, what area would you use if the shearing is like this?
nc8QHUk.png

thanks for the infographic, i appreciate it, but i didn't mention pressure at all lol
you're the first person to say the word in this thread
my main gripes were bad pixel scaling, multiplying a volume by a measurement explicitly using area and the sudden change-up of what material it was supposed to be

while you're here actually, what area would you use if the shearing is like this?
nc8QHUk.png

-Literally brought up a unit of pressure and how it's force per unit of area
-Claims they hadn't brought up pressure

WOT?

Also, here you go.:
Dib8Q04.png

-Literally brought up a unit of pressure and how it's force per unit of area
-Claims they hadn't brought up pressure
oh no i'm incredibly stupid my bad
my point about it being inapplicable to a volume of cubic inches remains the same tho, but the guy got banned so this thread is completely dead in the water now.
should be closed like KLOL said

I guess let me reopen in another thread and let us transfer the discussion findings first

BTW why was the OP banned? (at least he got authorisation from me to start a thread here)

Last edited:
Back