• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bungou Stray Dogs Upgrades #1: Francis Fitzgerald, Atsushi, and Akutagawa

Monarch_Laciel

VS Battles
Retired
BSD TNT
In the Guild arc of Bungou Stray Dogs, Moby Dick, a giant flying mechanical whale, is going to crash into the city of Yokahama, and explode with the force of 140 tons of TNT. This is a multi-city block (8-A) level feat

BSD Francis Dura
Francis Fitzgerald states that he would survive this thanks to his gift, which allows him to increase his physical strength by "spending" his assets. As Francis was planning on being within Moby Dick at the time, he would be right at the centre of the explosion. He also uses past tense, implying that he has already strengthened himself enough to survive the explosion.

BSD Pay all
Now, we don't know how much he would have needed to pay to get this level of durability. However, later in the scene he pays all of his assets, so in this stage he should definitely have 8-A durability.
BSD Francis Ability
Therefore, Francis should have his highest durability, when paying all his assets, upgraded to 8-A.

Additionally, it is likely that this would mean his AP is also 8-A, as the boost he gains is to his strength, so it seems that his increased durability is actually the result of his increased strength.

Akutagawa in Demonic Armour form and Atsushi in Man-Tiger Hybrid mode both take hits from Francis at his maximum power. They are getting beaten, but they are still surviving the attacks and not getting one-shot or seriously injured. However, they are individually unable to harm Francis, as even Atsushi punching him directly in the face does not faze him, so their AP does not scale to this.

So, findings:

1) Francis Fitzgerald should have 8-A dura.

- Due to the nature of his ability, he likely also has 8-A AP

- This would mean that Man-Tiger Hybrid Atsushi and Akutagawa have a lower level of 8-A durability

It sounds cleary 8-A for durability. IDK about this verse, so assets are money paid so that he is stronger and more durable? If so, then he should be 8-A for AP too. IDK about scaling.

Basically, he "pays" something (can be coins, paper money, checks, credit cards, physical representations of stock bonds, physical goods like his wedding ring) and it gives him an increase to his physical stats.

@Unite

There's no known exchange rate for Fitzgerald's ability.

However, he once rated a punch from an angered Atsushi as being worth, "about $10,000" before knocking Atsushi out in one hit.

However, I'm honestly not sure about this, given that the scale of the feats in the series tend to be much lower and guns are consistently considered a credible enough threat to dodge (albeit, something they do fairly easily).

@Unite There's nothing given like "$1 = 100 extra joules of force" or something. But Fitz said a bloodlusted kick from partially transformed Atsushi was "worth $10,000", and said that when he kicked Atsushi into a concrete wall (causing very notable impact crater in it) it was using $10,000. So $10,000 equals wall level basically.

With $100,000, Fitz was able to incapitate Atsushi with a single hit, whereas with $10,000 Atsushi could still stand back up.

Akutagawa was able to stab 100K Fitz in the hand, but that might have just been Rashomon's durability ignoring at work, seeing as Fitz later blocked Rashomon with his barehands. At the same time though, Akuta with Rashomon was also able to block a $100K punch with no difficulty.

$500K let Fritz take down Akugatawa before he knew what had happened though. There was just the flash of light from Fitz's ability activation and then Akuta was on the floor

@Rep, there are several characters who shrug off bullets though. Kenji, Lovecraft, and full tiger mode Atsushi all laugh them off. And Fitz explicitly states his ability would let hi survive Moby Dick's destruction.

@Monarch

To be fair, Kenji and Atsushi have super strength and Atsushi has regen, whie Lovecraft is an Eldritch Horror. Not really a fair comparison.

But yes, you're right in that regard. I just wasn't sure if it was an outlier or not.

That said, the reasoning seems solid, but this only really applies to Atsushi + Akutagawa in terms of scaling.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that laughing off bullets is not something impossible for the verse. But even then, only Man-Tiger Hybrid mode Atsushi (when he communes with the inner tiger and asks for its strength) and Demonic Armour Akutagawa would scale.

On that topic though, I propose these be new keys to their pages.

For Fitz it would be like:

Key: $10,000 (At least 9-B - superior but comparable to Atsushi) | $100,000 (at least 9-B - incapacitated Atsushi with a single hit) | $500,000 (At least 9-B - vasty superior to previous) | All Assets (Possibly 8-A AP with 8-A dura - was going to survive the destruction of Moby Dick and his physical strength should be comparable)

For Atsushi

Key: Partially transformed (At least 9-B - this refers to ony his legs or arms tranformed) | Man-Tiger Hybrid (At least 9-B AP with possibly 8-A dura, this is when he communes with the tiger, and his entire face becomes more bestial as well) | Full Tiger (presumable higher than previous? He seems to get stronger as he gets closer to the tiger, and the tiger has never actually been harmed so there aren't any contradictions)

For Akutgawa

Key: Base (as current, though perhaps a note on his dura saying he has higher durability when he blocks with Rashomon seeing as he blocked $100,000 Fitz's punch) | Demonic Armour (At least 9-B AP, with possibly 8-A durability from surviving and fighting after being hit by All Assets Fitz)

Also, in case you think it's too much of a jump to go from At least 9-B to 8-A, from looking at this shot:

BSD Francis Assets
Francis has at least 3 billion in dollars alone, about 800 billion yen, at least 3 billion euros, at least 2 billion pounds, and probably that much in all the values I can't clearly see or know the currency of. Considering only $10,000 lets him equal Atsushi and $100,000 lets Fitz curbstomp him, spending all his assets probably let him reach 8-A fairly easily

Okay, I agree with the proposed stuff too.

So, does this mean we can have other 8-A BSD characters if they cause more damage to Atsushi and Akutagawa than Fitz could? Hmm, I mean with blunt force.

@Burning

It's unlikely that we'll see those kinds of feats for a while, given that Fitzgerald spent all of his wealth during his fight with Akutagawa and Atsushi and is working on rebuilding his empire at the moment.

@Monarch

On second thought, the keys might not work.

Rashoumon cleanly cut through Tiger Atsushi with no apparent effort.

@Monarch

I changed the image.

I suppose, but given that Fitzgerald could tank it to an extent indicates that it does have limits. The Tiger wouldn't automatically gain 8-A Dura for getting sliced open by Rashoumon.

Fair enough. Leave the tiger key alone for now then. What about the other parts of the key?

Reppuzan said:
Given that Fitzgerald isn't seen fighting anyone else, we can't scale these statistics to anyone.
This power boost was also a one-time thing, since Fitzgerald broke the bank due to his fight with Atsushi and Akutagawa.

In addition, the vast majority of the members of the Armed Detective Agency, Port Mafia, and The Guild don't have abilities that translate into direct combat strength, include the faction heads, so this wouldn't scale to anyone else.
I didn't think anyone else would scale. But the keys?

I'm honestly not sure about the keys right now. I'll have to reread those chapters.

Had a chance to re-read them?

I'm waiting to get this done before I make a thread for Black Beast Beneath the Moon

bumpity

I've made changes to Francis's page that are clear from the screenshots, but changes to Akutagawa and Atsushi need more input

Back