• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boros Speed Revision

LordTracer

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Boros’ speed in Meteoric Burst is currently accepted as 0.9c since ONE stated that Boros kicked Saitama to the moon at near light speeds.

But… why, exactly? As far as I can tell, the 0.9c value is pulled out of nowhere, and just being “near light speed” doesn’t automatically mean 90% SoL.

I believe it’d make more sense to use one of the values calced from the anime timeframe, whether that’s the 0.44c (Relativistic) value or the 0.56c (Relativistic+) value, both of which would still fit with the near light speed statement.

Also the scan for Boros seemingly impressing Saitama with his speed has the anime version linked when it should be the manga version, so that needs to be fixed too.

I'll throw this out there, Boros was high in the air when the feat happened, but considering we don't have a good angle for where he was, it's probably a moot point.

I think the 0.44C end is more reasonable, as it is the moment where Saita actually hits the moon

Boros doesn’t scale to Saitama so… that’s kinda irrelevant.

Well... You're right that the 90% value does look rather arbitrary.

I wouldn't mind it being changed.

Huh, I believe there was a specific kanji that alluded to very specific percentages of Relativistic speed, maybe that's why it was accepted? I would need to see it.

Also, context is important. The calc is very underwhelming, the near lightspeed rocks from Boros' henchmen, which we consider .51c to .75c are said to be a joke to Saitama, but Boros in a form where his speed surprises the baldy is lower than that? That's nonsense, narratively speaking.
From this point of view, maybe this "near lightspeed" statement is worth the current rating (or not, I don't really care about the number itself, just being accurate).

I'd say the high end we take for the near lightspeed rocks (.75c) would be a better value.

The calc is very underwhelming, the near lightspeed rocks from Boros' henchmen, which we consider .51c to .75c are said to be a joke to Saitama, but Boros in a form where his speed surprises the baldy is lower than that?
I’m like 99.9% sure that doesn’t mean you can just pick an arbitrary percentage and go with that.

Plus Geryuganshoop’s rocks are only possibly sub-light speeds, so it’s not like you can fully scale Boros above it anyways.

Huh, I believe there was a specific kanji that alluded to very specific percentages of Relativistic speed, maybe that's why it was accepted?
Not Kanji, word. My bad.

I’m like 99.9% sure that doesn’t mean you can just pick an arbitrary percentage and go with that.
I did not necessarily agree with the current rating, I was trying to think about the reasoning behind it.
Plus Geryuganshoop’s rocks are only possibly sub-light speeds, so it’s not like you can fully scale Boros above it anyways.
Still, the same logic should apply. "Near" implies a greater proximity to the full value, so 51%~75% would be the most plausible ends. If we disagree with that, than Ger- (i am not typing that name)'s possible speed would be affected as well. Not that I particularly care, we just need to be consistent.

Of course, the 56% calc would stil work (I was referring to the 44% end earlier), so idk. I am checking the statement right now to see if that word is really the one I am thinking of.

I believe Gery’s calc is currently accepted at 0.75c but I can’t find any explanation for why that number was chosen (the previous versions of that calc used 0.3c, 0.4c and 0.5c as ends) either so ¯\(ツ)

Oh okay, it uses "ほぼ 光速", which means "almost at the speed of light".

I don't think it's fair to say .51c is "almost at the speed of light", as almost is somewhat of a very great proximity to the value, while "near" is more of a general proximity, I imagine.

Luckily, I have a japanese dictionary to help me with that, brb.

Isn't 0.9c used because that was the accepted end on the calc?
The literal premise of this thread is that there wasn’t a reason for 0.9c to be accept.
Yeah, with this description, I think 0.9c is fair. "Approximately the speed of light" isn't 0.8c, or 0.75c imo.
That’s still a pretty arbitrary though. Why can’t it be 0.8c or 0.75c? Hell, why can’t it be higher? Why not 0.91c? Why not 0.99c? Any value that we pick is going to be arbitrary.

That’s still a pretty arbitrary though. Why can’t it be 0.8c or 0.75c? Hell, why can’t it be higher? Why not 0.91c? Why not 0.99c? Any value that we pick is going to be arbitrary.
Precisely. But we need a value, that's a fact. How much is "approximately the speed of light"? We go for low ends, so we should stick to values that still fit the description, but doesn't go overboard, which is why .91 to .99 is not preferable.

Now, does a 25% difference qualify as an approximate value?

Is 160 "approximately 200"? I do not think so.

That's why I'd say 0.8c is too low. Maybe 0.85c is approximately 1c.

Would you say 85 is "approximately 100"? Maybe, I can see that, for sure.

We need to come up with a consensus, because 56% is really not compatible with this statement.

56% is better than just randomly picking a number imo, since the timeframe comes from a semi-official source in the anime.

Especially considering that there isn’t an objective value for what approximately means. Someone might think 99 is approximately 100, someone else might think 80 is approximately 100. Saying that it has to be within a certain range is kinda ehhhhhhh

56% is better than just randomly picking a number imo, since the timeframe comes from a semi-official source in the anime.

Especially considering that there isn’t an objective value for what approximately means. Someone might think 99 is approximately 100, someone else might think 80 is approximately 100. Saying that it has to be within a certain range is kinda ehhhhhhh
Oh come on, we have common sense... we do not use "approximately" or "almost" to things with a 56/100 gap, so I think the number is just completely unrelated to the statement.

We can use that number, sure, but we'd have to disregard the statement about "approximately lightspeed" completely.

I am fine with 0.8c being "almost the speed of light", or keeping the 0.9c rating. I disagree with the 0.44c and am neutral on the 0.56c end of the calculations. Remember, almost mean "very nearly" too, so it is a very, VERY approximate value.

We can use that number, sure, but we'd have to disregard the statement about "approximately lightspeed" completely.
I mean… we could. It’d be better than making a random assumption. And honestly I don’t see any issues with something slightly over half light speed as being near light, but whatever

I mean… we could. It’d be better than making a random assumption. And honestly I don’t see any issues with something slightly over half light speed as being near light, but whatever
Ay, while the "approximately" or "almost" can be translated to "near", the first two words are much closer to "completely" than the latter will ever be.

Again, if that's the proposal, then I am neutral.

56% seems fine to me, and doesn't massively contradict the whole "near lightspeed" thing.

56% seems fine to me, and doesn't massively contradict the whole "near lightspeed" thing.
It is "approximately" and "almost" lightspeed, actually. Both words have a much stronger proximity to the full value, so it kinda does contradict.
I am in favor of not using the statement at all, if the 56% end gets accepted.

I guess I don't have a strong opinion either way then, although "near" and "almost" mean pretty much the same thing.

See, this gets into the whole “different people have different ideas of what qualifies as near or almost” thing again.

Back