• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boros FTL Upgrade (Not Clickbait)

Nah **** that, let’s pull a fast one on them
In all seriousness, this is a kind of minor and obvious revision that’s using an accepted calc, so it’s probably fine.
Dude don't fall into that trap, it will end badly for all parties involved, trust me i saw similar situations

... Because 100% SOL is 0.000000003336 seconds? 75% of that is 0.00000000250200 seconds.
You realize that makes the timeframe smaller, as in the reactions better? (Notice how a 0.1 second reaction time is a whole lot better than a 0.5 second reaction time)

Now how could 75% lightspeed reactions be better than 100% lightspeed reactions?

Why am I the only person in the thread to notice these things?

In future, it's usually better to explain your steps in the calc as you go through them as that helps not only the people reading the calc but it helps yourself as well to keep everything straight.

I spent a good few minutes looking through your calc wondering where on Earth you got that figure from.

Now that the calc has been corrected, I'll examine the actual specifics of its basis:

Boros' reactions scale to 75% the speed of light via scaling above Geryuganshoop

Geryuganshoop presently has this:

Speed: Supersonic+ (Should be comparable to Melzalgald), possibly Relativistic+ attack speed (His attacks were stated by Murata in an interview to be near lightspeed)

Boros has this:

Speed: At least Supersonic+ (Should be vastly superior to Melzalgald, Groribas and Geryuganshoop), possibly Relativistic+ (Perceived the fight between Saitama and Geryuganshoop, and was confident in fighting the former even after witnessing him react to Geryuganshoop's near lightspeed pitches)

Merely witnessing the fight take place doesn't prove that Boros' perception speed is 5.8379 nanoseconds. We aren't shown Boros reacting to any specific move, we aren't shown him performing an action within a specific timeframe.

All we see is that Boros was in the same room when Geryuganshoop fought Saitama and died. If I see someone getting shot by a machinegun, then I too "witnessed" something happening without necessarily having perception speed equal to that of the bullet's velocity.

Now, this isn't a case where Boros witnessed Saitama dodging Geryu's rocks and thought to himself "I'm still faster than him", which could be valid scaling. All he saw was Saitama get pelted with rocks (making no attempt to dodge them or react to them), and then Saitama one-shots Geryu. Boros being confident of fighting Saitama after that doesn't mean his perception timeframe scales from the speed of the rocks. To be confident of beating Saitama just requires him to believe that his own attacks would do more damage than Geryu's attacks.

I’d say being able to actually land a blow is equally important as being able to damage your opponent, but maybe that’s just me.
That's fair - but again, it's not like Boros witnessing Saitama dodging Geryu's attacks. We obviously know that Saitama could do it no problem, but Boros isn't as aware as us. Even if he realized that Saitama could perceive Geryu's attacks easily, he doesn't know Saitama's true speed.

Now that the calc has been corrected, I'll examine the actual specifics of its basis:

Geryuganshoop presently has this:

Boros has this:

Merely witnessing the fight take place doesn't prove that Boros' perception speed is 5.8379 nanoseconds. We aren't shown Boros reacting to any specific move, we aren't shown him performing an action within a specific timeframe.

All we see is that Boros was in the same room when Geryuganshoop fought Saitama and died. If I see someone getting shot by a machinegun, then I too "witnessed" something happening without necessarily having perception speed equal to that of the bullet's velocity.

Now, this isn't a case where Boros witnessed Saitama dodging Geryu's rocks and thought to himself "I'm still faster than him", which could be valid scaling. All he saw was Saitama get pelted with rocks (making no attempt to dodge them or react to them), and then Saitama one-shots Geryu. Boros being confident of fighting Saitama after that doesn't mean his perception timeframe scales from the speed of the rocks. To be confident of beating Saitama just requires him to believe that his own attacks would do more damage than Geryu's attacks.
This analogy doesn’t even work
If you saw someone catch machine gun bullets easily and throw them back even faster, then god knows you would not have even the slightest bit of confidence in being able to win. “Oh yeah this guy is ridiculously above my 2nd strongest warrior in both speed and AP, but even though I’m slower than him I could still win”

That's fair - but again, it's not like Boros witnessing Saitama dodging Geryu's attacks. We obviously know that Saitama could do it no problem, but Boros isn't as aware as us. Even if he realized that Saitama could perceive Geryu's attacks easily, he doesn't know Saitama's true speed.
Well that’s how confidence scaling works, he doesn’t need to know saitama’s true strength, all he knows is that he casually performed an ftl feat and decided that he would still be capable of winning the fight at that point
Of course he gets proven wrong when saitama outpaces and tanks his released form, but then he was sure that meteoric burst would be able to do the trick, which was still wrong but it’s just a confidence scaling chain which means that one must be much faster than the last
It’s a working system, I don’t see why we should change it now considering how much we use confidence scaling (and how little of a choice we really have given the fact that saitama doesn’t really have anybody scaling to him)

The truth is, Rule 1 is clearly written as follows
  1. Reaction speed has both a distance and a timeframe component, so all calculations that are completed for reaction speed cannot simply be a timeframe by itself. Do not randomly assume a 1 meter distance for each timeframe and use that speed for the reaction speed. Other way around, perception time is just a timeframe and by that not proportional to a speed value alone. Do not assume that a character with a certain speed will have a perception time of 1 meter divided by that speed. Such calculations need a feat that demonstrates perception time and a suitable distance determined from that feat.
I wonder how the case of Boros is different. Tbh, I still don't quite understand this matter. Is there anyone who can explain it further?

I mean we literally have a stated speed, and a feat of Saitama catching it
I have no idea what the issue is here
It's not the speed that is being disputed here.

It's how the figure for the perception timeframe has been reached.

Back