• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Black Clover Speed

Valsaryo said:
Also this is funny how Patry not being able to react on his own attack "Divine Ray" which is reflected right into him and have real light speed.
The reason Patri didn't dodge is likely due to realizing who Gauche was, that's pretty much what the scene after that is saying

Even if we play into the perspective that you guys are arguing:

Do you know how mcuh character's reacted to said attack with little to no effort (Divine Ray of Punishment):

Mereoleona

Nozel

Asta

Yuno

Those are all the character we would need to scale accordingly. Not to mention the last three did it to an amped up version of Patry. Again... I don't think this changes much...if anything at all?

@damage

Thank you for helping out. Do you think that you can get the statistics in order?

Not any time soon. I'm currently focused on a few other verses.

It might be best if this really just be looked into in detail post-forum move.

Okay. That could take quite a while though, but if you are already busy, I suppose that there isn't much to do about it.

If anyone wants to start working on some calcs in the meantime though, I will be around to evaluate those.

Whether or not feats are legit or calced right or not is not my concern in terms of what I am about to say. But, I believe that if a verse is treating lightspeed as the highest level of speed, yet characters have feats that are beyond that, then the writers simply did not realize that what they said contradicted the feats and as such it shouldn't be used against the verse as not every writer is thinking about how certain things scale to previous arcs or other characters. We have verses in which thing lightspeed is something special when there are consistent FTL or even Immeaasurable feats. It's just an example of a writer not realizing how high their feats actually rate. It's the same with AP as well (like a verse acting like 100 tons of force is impressive when the verse has consistent Tier 4-3 feats) That's my opinion on this actual point.

It's not just about lightspeed being special but a statement about a lightspeed attack being impossible to avoid; said towards a guy that the light magic user has been fighting for a couple of chapters. So that guy being casually FTL is inconsistent with what is happening.

Duedate8898 said:
Valsaryo said:
Also this is funny how Patry not being able to react on his own attack "Divine Ray" which is reflected right into him and have real light speed.
The reason Patri didn't dodge is likely due to realizing who Gauche was, that's pretty much what the scene after that is saying
And what preventing Patry from dodging his own attack ?

Imagine being blessed with Light Magic, the fastest magic of all that will allow you to move at Light Speed only to realize that everyone and their mother is already FTL in your verse.

Slacjow said:
Imagine being blessed with Light Magic, the fastest magic of all that will allow you to move at Light Speed only to realize that everyone and their mother is already FTL in your verse.
Yeah very cool . Yami fans should think about it .

You know what you should think about? Feat>Statements.

Patry saying "Yami won't dodge it" should not take priority over Yami tagging both him and Raia. Even Nozel who is comparable to Yami deflected a faster version of this so-called "Fastest Magic", proving btw that Light Magic isn't the fastest

>And what preventing Patry from dodging his own attack ?

Ever heard of Plot-Induced Stupidity?

The only two things that were directly stated to be light speed were the movement spell and the ray. Everything else patri did was just really fast. And the speed of the movement spell shouldn't be the same as their reaction speed, cause we saw Raia able blitz Yami with the movement spell but when he jumped back physically he was slashed. The spell works more like teleportation. And in the case of Nozel delfecting the ray, there is a build up time for the spell and by the time the ray was fired Nozel's mercury was already in front of asta and yuno.

>The only two things that were directly stated to be light speed were the movement spell and the ray

Guys, stop talking about a movement spell that doesn't even exist. Patry wasn't stated to move at lightspeed through a movement spell nor he was stated to have a spell making him move at lightspeed.

>cause we saw Raia able blitz Yami with the movement spell but when he jumped back physically he was slashed. The spell works more like teleportation.

Aaaand we are falling under assumptions...

>And in the case of Nozel delfecting the ray, there is a build up time for the spell and by the time the ray was fired Nozel's mercury was already in front of asta and yuno

Actually, we saw Nozel's mercury when the beam was already fired and it was just on top of yuno. The mercury still had the time to take the shape of a sphere before the beam touches him. And even then, the beam is a faster version of the normal one

We clearly see the turn into light particles whenever they move at light speed. Why would you think users of light magic are not using a spell to move at light speed?

The spell working like teleportation isn't an assumption just an observation. You can even see it when raia fights mereoreona. He uses the the light mocement spell to get away from her, but as soon as he was done traveling mereoreona blitzed him since she's faster than his reactions but not as fast as the movement spell

Go back and look at the panels again. It was already in front of them in the same panel the beam was fired. And since his mercury is a counter to light magic. just having some of it in front would deflect the beam and it can take shape while it's deflecting it.

Each time Patry moves:

https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0046-019.png https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0047-015.png https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0047-016.png https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0049-004.png https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0049-016.png

There's no light particles, like, at all. And even if, turning into light particles just means they become intangible, that doesn't mean they are moving at lightspeed.

>The spell working like teleportation isn't an assumption just an observation. You can even see it when raia fights mereoreona. He uses the the light mocement spell to get away from her, but as soon as he was done traveling mereoreona blitzed him since she's faster than his reactions but not as fast as the movement spell

Was it even stated to be a light magic spell to begin with?

>Go back and look at the panels again. It was already in front of them in the same panel the beam was fired. And since his mercury is a counter to light magic. just having some of it in front would deflect the beam and it can take shape while it's deflecting it.

I looked at the panels, I know what happened. I won't waste my time arguing in circles so I'll wait until the feat is calced

https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0137-002.png

https://v217.**********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0150-012.png

This is how it looks later on. The speed is directly stated to be a property of light magic which is why the only ones we saw moving in this fashion during these fights were patri and raia who copied patri's grimoire. The anime even clarifies this

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11123/111235494/6743303-4583793016-67432.gif

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11123/111235494/6743306-1175304451-67427.gif

There's nothing that suggests that there regular physical movements are lightspeed, which is why despite not being able to react to raia's initial movement with the spell yami could tag him when he just jumped away

Damage3245 said:
It's not just about lightspeed being special but a statement about a lightspeed attack being impossible to avoid; said towards a guy that the light magic user has been fighting for a couple of chapters. So that guy being casually FTL is inconsistent with what is happening.
Even then, considering people legitimately avoid it and feats can be legitimately calced shows that this statement no longer holds water for characters of that level and beyond and should be disregarded for these characters as feats prove that lightspeed attacks no longer are an issue to be dodged. It becomes a situation of the writer not really paying attention to the feats they have given the characters and I do no believe we should limit characters by that statement.

Although, I will say that personally, the group should only have FTL reactions and that it should not scale to movement speed. But that's just me.

@Dragonmasterxyz; we shall have to see what results the calcs bring.

You could just as easily make the argument that the writer doesn't understand speed of light and characters shouldn't be scaling to be superior to it just because the writer is confused.

If Asta ends up getting a calc that puts him as FTL or FTL+ but he has antifeats of getting blitzed by characters moving at lightspeed or slower, then there is a massive problem.

I would say that the feats speak for themselves in that case. The feats say he's able to react to light and thus it's more on the lines that the writer simply did not think about the nature of the feats. And if Asta is getting blitzed by Lightspeed characters despite scaling to characters who can react to light, that would mean the light user's light attacks are now much faster than light as well. Lightspeed at this point is just a baseline for the light attacks, but they could easily be faster with scaling and feats. At that point, them being "lightspeed" only is contradicted by the feats presented by the series.

We have to wait for calcs then (even I did not realize this). Let's see what happens and go from there.

I will unsubscribe from this thread. You can tell me via my message wall if you need my help after you reach a conclusion.

Same, I'll let you all argue obout what attacks are and aren't lightspeed yourselves. I am also unsubbing as I eon't be very active until the forum move is done ubless someone requests me.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I would say that the feats speak for themselves in that case. The feats say he's able to react to light and thus it's more on the lines that the writer simply did not think about the nature of the feats. And if Asta is getting blitzed by Lightspeed characters despite scaling to characters who can react to light, that would mean the light user's light attacks are now much faster than light as well. Lightspeed at this point is just a baseline for the light attacks, but they could easily be faster with scaling and feats. At that point, them being "lightspeed" only is contradicted by the feats presented by the series.

This right here. I don't know why people can't understand that fiction can literally work like this.

Damage3245 said:
@Dragonmasterxyz; we shall have to see what results the calcs bring.

You could just as easily make the argument that the writer doesn't understand speed of light and characters shouldn't be scaling to be superior to it just because the writer is confused.

If Asta ends up getting a calc that puts him as FTL or FTL+ but he has antifeats of getting blitzed by characters moving at lightspeed or slower, then there is a massive problem.
This jsut isn't true and as a calc group member Damage you should know that scaling like that just means the character who blitz him will still scale

err tbh I agree with the OP, I have had multiple doubts about BC's light speed and the chapter about lightning basically supports those doubts. Though I can see LS reactions for some characters and LS attack speed for light users using some abilities as well as LS movement for light users with their teleportation. I definitely do not think that BC has LS normal movement and I dont know why it is put on their profile as if it scales to everything they do.

Argevil said:
https://v217.**********.com/manga/B...*********.com/manga/Black-Clover/0150-012.png
This is how it looks later on. The speed is directly stated to be a property of light magic which is why the only ones we saw moving in this fashion during these fights were patri and raia who copied patri's grimoire. The anime even clarifies this

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11123/111235494/6743303-4583793016-67432.gif

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11123/111235494/6743306-1175304451-67427.gif

There's nothing that suggests that there regular physical movements are lightspeed, which is why despite not being able to react to raia's initial movement with the spell yami could tag him when he just jumped away
In the fight with Yami this isn't ever shown, yet Yami says that he moves at lightspeed to dodge his attacks. This seems more like the presentation of something changing as the story goes forward.

And the thing with the Black Clover anime is that it often changes the presentation of battles, just like at Licht vs Yuno and Asta, or Patri vs Julius, each of those fights add in entirely new things that weren't ever present in the manga as is the case with Yami vs Patri. In the fight within the manga, we're only ever given the FLASH sound effect to signify he's moving rather fast. So you know what, Yami then tags Raia when he uses that same exact technique to try and get away from him.

Back