• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

BLACK CLOVER CRT (GOD TIER REVISION): 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐙𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍

I disagree with the 40x. 何十倍 (Nanjuu bai) It means "dozens of times" as far as I know, it's different from "many tens of times", it's just more than 1, so it would be 20x.

I disagree with the 40x. 何十倍 (Nanjuu bai) It means "dozens of times" as far as I know, it's different from "many tens of times", it's just more than 1, so it would be 20x.
The "many tens of times" came from multiple translators, so you're gonna need a reliable source on this one

And, as far as I know "十" means tens/ten.

I didn't use Google Translate, I have some knowledge about when to use kanji that can mean the same thing (especially in translations) but are used differently depending on the context. Here we have something similar to the words "boundless" and "infinity", or the problems of using the Kanji "Sekai", or even the Kanji "hoshi". Come on, the main problem is using the literal meaning of the kanjis separately and not considering when they can/should be used, and which sense they are usually used. For example, "Sekai" can be used to talk about a "society", "planet", "people" or "universe" itself, but there are kanji that are used to literally mean those things I mentioned, while "Sekai" it is all-encompassing and can mean many things. Now let's get to the problem of the topic.

"何十" (nan-jū) can also be used to indicate an approximate number of times, but with a slightly different tone from "数十" (sū-jū). While "数十" (sū-jū) indicates an approximate but comprehensive quantity, "何十" (nan-jū) can be used to suggest that the quantity is greater than expected or surprising. Here's an example:

Example:「彼女は何十回も同じミスを繰り返しました。」

Translation: "She made the same mistake dozens of times."

In this example, "何十回" (nan-jū-kai) is being used to indicate that the number of times the person made the mistake is surprisingly high. The sentence indicates that the person made the mistake several dozens of times, but with a tone of surprise or exaggeration. That is, it is usually a Hyperbole, meaning a large amount, but not exact, and is often used to exaggerate something. One person made a mistake two or three times, but another person, in an exaggerated tone, says that there were dozens of times, it's like saying "I've explained this to you a thousand of times", clearly it's an exaggeration, it means that there were many, but does not indicate an exact number, but an exaggerated number.

"何十" (nan-jū) can be used as a hyperbole in some situations. The phrase "何十回も" (nan-jū-kai mo), for example, can be used to emphasize the excessive amount of times something happened. It's a way of exaggerating the quantity to emphasize the surprise or impact.

In short, "数十" (sū-jū) is ALWAYS used literally, and means any number between 20 and 99. "何十" (nan-jū) is usually used in an exaggerated tone, a hyperbole, mainly when the context is the surprise of some character. Basically, there is a Literally and concrete way to refer to "many tens" or "dozens" of times, since the one used by Asta is usually used as an exaggeration, so, I actually change my position and disagree with the OP, I don't think although it's safe to assume that it's a literal and concrete increase, it has indeed increased, but we don't know the value.

I didn't use Google Translate, I have some knowledge about when to use kanji that can mean the same thing (especially in translations) but are used differently depending on the context. Here we have something similar to the words "boundless" and "infinity", or the problems of using the Kanji "Sekai", or even the Kanji "hoshi". Come on, the main problem is using the literal meaning of the kanjis separately and not considering when they can/should be used, and which sense they are usually used. For example, "Sekai" can be used to talk about a "society", "planet", "people" or "universe" itself, but there are kanji that are used to literally mean those things I mentioned, while "Sekai" it is all-encompassing and can mean many things. Now let's get to the problem of the topic.

"何十" (nan-jū) can also be used to indicate an approximate number of times, but with a slightly different tone from "数十" (sū-jū). While "数十" (sū-jū) indicates an approximate but comprehensive quantity, "何十" (nan-jū) can be used to suggest that the quantity is greater than expected or surprising. Here's an example:

In this example, "何十回" (nan-jū-kai) is being used to indicate that the number of times the person made the mistake is surprisingly high. The sentence indicates that the person made the mistake several dozens of times, but with a tone of surprise or exaggeration. That is, it is usually a Hyperbole, meaning a large amount, but not exact, and is often used to exaggerate something. One person made a mistake two or three times, but another person, in an exaggerated tone, says that there were dozens of times, it's like saying "I've explained this to you a thousand of times", clearly it's an exaggeration, it means that there were many, but does not indicate an exact number, but an exaggerated number.

"何十" (nan-jū) can be used as a hyperbole in some situations. The phrase "何十回も" (nan-jū-kai mo), for example, can be used to emphasize the excessive amount of times something happened. It's a way of exaggerating the quantity to emphasize the surprise or impact.

In short, "数十" (sū-jū) is ALWAYS used literally, and means any number between 20 and 99. "何十" (nan-jū) is usually used in an exaggerated tone, a hyperbole, mainly when the context is the surprise of some character. Basically, there is a Literally and concrete way to refer to "many tens" or "dozens" of times, since the one used by Asta is usually used as an exaggeration, so, I actually change my position and disagree with the OP, I don't think although it's safe to assume that it's a literal and concrete increase, it has indeed increased, but we don't know the value.
You'd need to prove that Asta means it as an exaggeration, though, which is highly unlikely because he can actually sense ki and would thus sense how much it increased. And given that nan-jū has the capacity for being used in a literal sense, that's the safest assumption given what we know (aka what I just mentioned).

No

You'd need to prove that Asta means it as an exaggeration, though, which is highly unlikely because he can actually sense ki and would thus sense how much it increased. And given that nan-jū has the capacity for being used in a literal sense, that's the safest assumption given what we know (aka what I just mentioned).
You're the one who needs to prove it's a literal statement, not me. "何十回" (nan-jū-kai) is used by the Japanese in a Hyperbolic way, there is a way to say "several ten" or "dozens" in Japanese and is "数十回" (Sū-Jū-Kai). Both mean the same thing (a quantity above 10), however while one is used to literally refer to numbers between 20-99, the other can mean any number above 10, including hundreds or thousands, because it is used to exaggerate. In addition, Arc said that "Nan = Many", however, "Nan" can also mean "How much/How many" and not specifically "many". It is also sometimes used as a question. Anyway, it's an vague question, not literal, due to lack of evidence, it's better not to use the word literally, since there is another literal form and it wasn't used. For example, if a person takes a CRT and says that the word "Sekai" means universe there, he needs to provide more evidence for this, because the kanji "Sekai" has more than one meaning, and there are other kanji that refer specifically to each of the meanings of "Sekai" The same goes for the Kanji "Hoshi", which can mean any celestial object, but is usually used by the Japanese to refer to planets. So we don't accept upgrade to star level using the kanji for "Hoshi" unless the OP provides additional evidence that "Hoshi" means star in that context.

You're the one who needs to prove it's a literal statement, not me. "何十回" (nan-jū-kai) is used by the Japanese in a Hyperbolic way, there is a way to say "several ten" or "dozens" in Japanese and is "数十回" (Sū-Jū-Kai). Both mean the same thing (a quantity above 10), however while one is used to literally refer to numbers between 20-99, the other can mean any number above 10, including hundreds or thousands, because it is used to exaggerate. In addition, Arc said that "Nan = Many", however, "Nan" can also mean "How much/How many" and not specifically "many". It is also sometimes used as a question. Anyway, it's an vague question, not literal, due to lack of evidence, it's better not to use the word literally, since there is another literal form and it wasn't used. For example, if a person takes a CRT and says that the word "Sekai" means universe there, he needs to provide more evidence for this, because the kanji "Sekai" has more than one meaning, and there are other kanji that refer specifically to each of the meanings of "Sekai" The same goes for the Kanji "Hoshi", which can mean any celestial object, but is usually used by the Japanese to refer to planets. So we don't accept upgrade to star level using the kanji for "Hoshi" unless the OP provides additional evidence that "Hoshi" means star in that context.
Asta can sense ki, so he'd be able to sense the increase in it. That's my proof for why this is literal, meanwhile you've brought forth zero counter, just "well it could be hyperbolic." If nan-jū was always used as a hyperbole, you'd have a point, but it's not. It very much can be used literally, and you've provided nothing that indicates it would be a hyperbole.

Also, for "nan" meaning "how much/how many," context is very important. Why would Asta be making a question here? He's noting Ichika's increase in ki, so that "how much/how many" question interpretation is out the window

Asta can sense ki, so he'd be able to sense the increase in it. That's my proof for why this is literal, meanwhile you've brought forth zero counter, just "well it could be hyperbolic." If nan-jū was always used as a hyperbole, you'd have a point, but it's not. It very much can be used literally, and you've provided nothing that indicates it would be a hyperbole.

Also, for "nan" meaning "how much/how many," context is very important. Why would Asta be making a question here? He's noting Ichika's increase in ki, so that "how much/how many" question interpretation is out the window
You are making 2 mistakes here.

First: You can't take a translation of 3 kanji by taking the literal meaning of each one and putting them together, because the meaning can change when they are put together. I'll use your argument about the meaning of "Nan" for example:

"Nan = Many

Jū = 10

Kai or bai = Amount (means amount of times for example)

So if you add Many + Ten + Times, you get "Many tens of times".

The error is in how simple this statement is, you can't do that, just take the meaning of a kanji + the meaning of another and put the 2 together and put their literal meaning, because when you put 2 kanjis together, it can have a result different than what each separately means. For example 光線 (Kōsen) means ray of light or just ray, they are two kanji together. While 光 (Hikari) means "Light" and 線 (Sen) means stripes/line, both together can mean a Ray of light or just a Ray that is not made of light. Here's how I could do the same as done here:

"Hikari = light

Sen = stripes/lines

So the meaning is lines of light or stripes of light."

In theory it could be right, as the "Sen" is used in "Ray of Light" because it means a straight line, just like "Rays of Light" are, but it is not used a literal word for "Ray" here, rather something that presents a characteristic of "Ray", in this case, being a "straight line". But at the same time it is wrong, as Kōsen can also just mean "Ray" without being made of light, so it is not correct to call them rays of light unless there is an additional context that indicates this.

I'll give another example, now, that is more compatible with the topic. "数十倍" (Sū-Jū-Bai) for example, I can do it like this:

"Sū = Several/Many
Juu = 10
Bai = Amount (means amount of times for example)

So if I put together Several/Many + 10 + Times then it means "several/many tens of times"

This is completely wrong as it doesn't mean "multiple tens". When you put together 何 (Nan/Many) + 十 (Jū/Ten) you get "Dozens" and not "Many tens". The Ten together with Many achieves the meaning of plural. when the phrase is just "数十倍 Jū-bai" (Ten+amount of times), the "Ten" together with "amount of times" becomes a "Dozens" in singular. And the "何 Nan" (Many) transforms it into plural, that is, Dozens (20 or more), the the role of Nan there is to transform Dozens (singular, only 10 units) into Dozens (plural, more than 20 units), not "many tens or many dozens". In short, even if it's a literal sentence, the kanjis put together just mean Dozens, the meaning of "何十倍" (nan-jū-bai) is ANY NUMBER ABOVE 20, It could even be hundreds or thousands, that's why the official English translation put "hundreds". So, since we don't know the exact number, so we use the smallest one, and the smallest meaning of "何十倍" (nan-jū-bai) is 20.

Second, Asta's phrase is:

―何だ今の...!?!一瞬だけ氣が何十倍にも膨れ上がったような…?

―Nanda ima no...!?!isshun da ke ki ga nanjuu bai nimo fukure kami ga tsu ta you na…?

-What the hell is that?..!?!Just for a moment, Ki has increased by dozens of times...?

he asks himself, is a question, not a statement, basically even he doesn't know for sure, as he felt it very quickly, for an instant. His sentence clearly represents a surprise, this combined with his expression and the fact that it happened for an instant, it seems more like a hyperbolic sentence. So your argument for being literal is invalid since even Asta isn't sure if it actually increased by dozens of times.

Last edited:
Second, Asta's phrase is:

―何だ今の...!?!一瞬だけ氣が何十倍にも膨れ上がったような…?

―Nanda ima no...!?!isshun da ke ki ga nanjuu bai nimo fukure kami ga tsu ta you na…?

-What the hell is that?..!?!Just for a moment, Ki has increased by dozens of times...?

he asks himself, is a question, not a statement, basically even he doesn't know for sure, as he felt it very quickly, for an instant. His sentence clearly represents a surprise, this combined with his expression and the fact that it happened for an instant, it seems more like a hyperbolic sentence. So your argument for being literal is invalid since even Asta isn't sure if it actually increased by dozens of times.
I'll focus on this because the examples you're giving aren't really accomplishing anything, like I get your argument. This part here is actually relevant.

He's only asking himself because he couldn't believe what just happened. That doesn't change the fact that he still sensed that increase. So no, my argument is not invalid. He knows what happened, he can just hardly believe it.

First: You can't take a translation of 3 kanji by taking the literal meaning of each one and putting them together, because the meaning can change when they are put together. I'll use your argument about the meaning of "Nan" for example:

"Nan = Many

Jū = 10

Kai or bai = Amount (means amount of times for example)

So if you add Many + Ten + Times, you get "Many tens of times".

The error is in how simple this statement is, you can't do that, just take the meaning of a kanji + the meaning of another and put the 2 together and put their literal meaning, because when you put 2 kanjis together, it can have a result different than what each separately means. For example 光線 (Kōsen) means ray of light or just ray, they are two kanji together. While 光 (Hikari) means "Light" and 線 (Sen) means stripes/line, both together can mean a Ray of light or just a Ray that is not made of light. Here's how I could do the same as done here:
Now I'm no expert in Japanese, my knowledge of it comes strictly from me being a filthy anime goon, so I'm willing to wait for actual experts to come in. But, as far as I can tell, this is very much actually doable. I mean, you even use the ray of light example which kinda just proves that it's very much doable to do this sort of thing. A "ray" is a synonym for a "line" in English.

Again, your argument is that it can have a different meaning, not that it does. That's a complete uncertainty and you're asserting an uncertain interpretation as the correct one.

Last edited:
I'll focus on this because the examples you're giving aren't really accomplishing anything, like I get your argument. This part here is actually relevant.

He's only asking himself because he couldn't believe what just happened. That doesn't change the fact that he still sensed that increase. So no, my argument is not invalid. He knows what happened, he can just hardly believe it.
Forgive me, but I ended up forgetting one detail, the sentence has double punctuation. A "!?", in a phrase we also have to be aware of the punctuation, The correct phrase is: "―何だ今の...!?!一瞬だけ氣が何十倍にも膨れ上がったような…!?". There is "!?" which means a feeling of doubt and surprise at the same time. In Japanese it's no different, this double punctuation means exactly what I said. Now let's take what I said above:
When the phrase is in a sense of surprise or impact, "何十回" is used as a form of exaggeration, a hyperbole.
Again, your argument is that it can have a different meaning, not that it does. That's a complete uncertainty and you're asserting an uncertain interpretation as the correct one.
My argument is more complete now, the "!?" in the sentence indicates surprise and doubt, and as "何十回" is used as hyperbole in cases of great surprise or with the purpose of impacting the reader/listener, and so the most correct way is to consider it as a hyperbole. My position may change depending on the evidence someone brings. If they prove not to be a Hyperbole, they will have to bring more evidence that "何十回" means "many tens of times" and not just "dozens of times".

I have no doubt that Asta was surprised at what he witnessed, but in context, doubt doesn't seem to make sense here. He's more in shock about what he just saw, if anything.

I have no doubt that Asta was surprised at what he witnessed, but in context, doubt doesn't seem to make sense here. He's more in shock about what he just saw, if anything.
The double dot means both, doubt and surprise at the same time.

Also, forgive me if there are some mistakes, I'm writing on a tablet and it's really bad, so I might make some digit errors. For example, kanji that asta used was Asta uses "何十倍" and not "何十回". The kanji "何十" (nan-jū) are generally used to indicate a quantity above 10, but they do not indicate an exact number.

Well, before I go to work , I'll send one last argument for now, and I'll be away for a few hours. Apparently you (Clover Dragon) didn't understand some of my examples, this is due to the language barrier. Because my native language is Portuguese, and the word "Dozens" in English has a plural meaning, this word means more than 20. In Portuguese, we have 2 words for this, "Dezena" and "Dezenas", the "S" adds the meaning of plural in the word, so "Dezena" means 10, and "Dezenas" means 20 or more. So, I thought that since "Dozens" with the "S" is in the plural, then the singular, to refer to 10 units would be "Dozen" without the "S", however, "Dozen" means 12, not 10, and that was very counterintuitive to me. So I had a little trouble explaining it, because as "Dozen" means 12, I couldn't find a way to refer to 10 units in the singular, so I wrote "dozens in the singular" so it didn't come out in an understandable way.

Well, I already found out that I can only use 10 to refer to 10 units (Forgive my stupidity), so it will be easier now.

Let's go. In English, we have a single word to refer to more than 10 units, we can use "Dozens", which means any number between 20-99, we have "Several or Many" and then we add it to 10 and it's "Dozens". In Japanese there is no specific kanji for "Dozens", so we use a composition of 2 kanjis, one means "10" (十) and the other means "quantities" (倍), so we put them together and it's "ten times" (十倍. In Portuguese, it would be Dezena (10 units). So here we are only talking about 10, but we can add 2 kanjis to this, and they can mean the same thing, but they are used in different contexts, and they are: 何 and 数. Both mean "Many/Several", so when we add them to the other 2 kanjis, we have "数十倍" (Sū-Jū-bai" and "何十倍" (Nan-Jū-bai), both in English can meaning "Many tens of times" or "Several tens of times", can, unlike Japanese, in English we can reduce this to a single word, which is "Dozens", which basically has the same meaning as "Several/Many tens of times". Japanese works like this: They need to join kanjis with X meanings to form a word or phrase with Y meaning, but we in the case of words, can reduce it to just one, be it a in Portuguese or in English. Giving another example, the word "thirty" in Japanese is "三十" (San-Jū), they put together the kanji of 3 and 10 and pronounce both together, forming a new word. Unlike English, where thirty has a direct relationship with the words three and ten, we can simply "abbreviate" them into a new word, as Japanese people need to pronounce both words together. In the case of "何十倍" (Nan-jū-bai) we have the same issue, they pronounce the 3 words together, but we have a single word for it, which is "Dozens", the translation is not "Many tens of times" and yes "Dozens", in another example, if we add the kanji of "quantity" (倍) to "三十" (San-Jū) we have "三十倍" (San-Jū-Bai), which means specifically "Thirty times", we don't do that:

"San = Three
juu = ten
Bai = amount (of times)

So, the meaning is Three Ten of Times"

We have a specific word for it, which is "Thirty times". Unlike the Japanese, we have specific words, we can't take the literal meaning of each kanji and form words with it in the ways I exemplified. So "何十倍" (Nan-jū-bai) means "Dozens", not "Many Tens of Times". So it's 20, not 40.

Now let's go to the case of Hyperbole. As I said, "何十倍" (Nan-jū-bai) and "数十倍" (Sū-Ju-Bai) both have the meaning of "Dozens", however, the "数十倍" (Sū-Jū -bai) has the literal meaning ALWAYS. It's always about the number of numbers between 20 and 99, always. However, "何十倍" (Nan-jū-bai) is usually used as an exaggeration or literally, and it depends on the context of the phrase, and it doesn't just mean any number between 20-99, but any number above of 20, either "Dozens" or even "Hundreds". That's why they translated it as "Hundreds" in the official VIZ translation.

If the phrase is an explanation of something, for example, the person is sure of what he is talking about, and he is passing on information, he is explaining how something works to the reader/listener, then the meaning is literal. But when the phrase is a way of conveying feelings, for example, it is used in a hyperbolic way. Some examples: Surprise, doubt, impact.

Impact: When the person literally wants to make an impact with the statement, he uses it hyperbolically, it would look like this: "She made the same mistake hundreds of times", the person didn't make the mistake between 100-999 times, it's clearly an exaggeration, a way to make an impact, it was more than once, but it wasn't that much.

Surprise: When a person is surprised by something, they use kanji in an exaggerated way, it would be something like: "It's not possible! He already solved this question, he's dozens of times smarter than I thought..."

Doubt: When the person is in doubt, he doesn't know an exact number, he knows it's a lot, but he's not sure, so he uses this kanji, it would be something like: "He did all that in this short time! he is dozens of times faster than before?"

There is also the case of doubt + surprise: When the person is both doubtful and also surprised, he doesn't know exactly what happened, so he exaggerates a random amount, it would be something like: "What? it's not possible, how did he destroy this? he got dozens of times stronger than before!?"

In all these sentences, use the "何十倍" (Nan-jū-bai), they are in the form of Hyperbole.

Asta's phrase, to me, seems to be used in the context of surprise+doubt, so in my view, it's more likely to be Hyperbole. But if y'all make a convincing argument that it's literal, then the multiplier is 20x and not 40x.

I ask everyone to focus more on this new explanation of mine, I was clearer here.

Rather than trying to debate this further (especially on my end as someone that barely knows Japanese), we should try and get reliable translators in on this to see what's the most reliable direction to take this

Agreed. Though, I tried to translate it myself with DeepL and it came out as "several tens of times (as large, over)". The second proposition was "many tens of times"
(so basically, the translation given in the OP). This seems to indicate that the multiplier is more like 30x than 40x, but I'd be glad to hear what makes Arc think it's more likely to be a 40x multiplier.

"Dozen noun, determiner

a group of twelve of the same thing
Give me a dozen, please.
two dozen eggs
three dozen red roses
half a dozen bottles of wine
a half-dozen bottles of wine"

dozens (informal) a lot of people or things
dozens of something I've been there dozens of times.
We interviewed dozens and dozens of people.
in dozens They arrived in dozens (= in large numbers).
Babies are turning up in their dozens to be snapped for the paper's Baby of the Year competition."

That's what I found in the Oxford Dictionary. You must speak English so you must know more than me, however, the kanji used is a reference to 10 and not 12.

Back