• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best Strategists: the semi definitive list.

This list is for the best strategy people on the wiki

No omniscient/ near omniscient shenanigans.

Only feats mainly or purely attributed to strategy are allowed, no hax or super soldiers can be involved unless their opponents have similar tools.

This will start as a top 15 but can change if most of you want it to.

1 Welkin Gunther Imotekh the Stormlord

2 Red (Pokemon Adventures) The Colonel (Anima Beyond Fantasy)

3 Nasus Jericho Swai Characters from Fire Emblem The Emperor of Mankind

4 The Commander (XCOM) Big Boss Grand Admiral Thraw Lelouch vi Britannia

5 Tactimo Contessa Kurano Kiriha

Have fun discussing this.

Large Scale in what sense ? like 10K men medieval style or like 100K to millions, modern war style ?

Also Goku and Zeno for rank 2 and 1.

Just in terms of military/group engagements.

Also I should add one more thing to the list real quick.

Shikaku(Shikamaru's Dad) should be here somewhere being the brains of the tactics used by the ninja alliance in the shinobi war against opponents of higher individual quality with a few exceptions.

I will wait until some discussion to add people but I will take note of submissions.

00potato said:
Just in terms of military/group engagements.
Also I should add one more thing to the list real quick.
Maybe those with super soldier army and stuff should be a different category because i don't think managing a normal army translate well into managing the avengers for exemple.

Welkin Gunther

Only one confirmed death ever confirmed in his squad, which was a sneak attack from a sniper he could not have prevented

For reference, this dude has a Town Militia formed from people who signed up, no one in the actual army, and had them defeat an Empires Army despite them being lead by Maximillian, who himself is the best strategist in the Empire alongside other highly skilled Generals such as Selvaria Bles who has never failed a mission, Jaeger, the greatest tank commander in an experimental tank Alongside a large crew of engineers

They also defeated Super Tank called the Batomys lead by Maximilian and Selvaria in her Valkyria Form

And a Massive amphibious battleship lead by Maximillian himself, which with a bit of help from Alicia, they managed to not only destroy but also defeat Maximmillian

Again, no confirmed deaths outside of one girl

Nominating Red (Pokémon Adventures). Dude is a crazy strategist. Like creating a thunderstorm using the heat of his opponent's Ninetales with the electricity and water of his Poliwrath to use his Venusaur's vines as a lightningrod to strike Charizard. Mind you, Charizard creams Venusaur with its type advantage, but Red still won through that strategy. This is the same guy who outmaneuvered Mewtwo in strategy, tricking him into activating his psychic tornado so Pikachu can go through the top to Master Ball.

He also constantly wins fights where he has the home field disadvantage, like when he had to fight Lt Surge in his hideout where he was being powered by Zapdos, or when he fought Giovanni who already earthquaked the ground so he couldn't use any Pokemon other than Pikachu. While having zero Pokemon, he wound up catching his way out of the Safari Zone, which is chock full of wild and feral Pokemon. He wound up matching Bruno while the battlefield was literally one of his Pokemon. And Red is just a normal human. He's just that good of a strategist with his 'mons.

If both sides of each engagement are comparable, then even if it is different, you could at least compare the strategy used and the effectiveness of each, even if they had radically different tools.

Also if I did it would remove a lot of options. Anyway it adds some spice to it. Like a janky fighting game that is still competitive.

I think it's more impressive if you say it like that ; Welkin has (Not!)Belgium beat (Not!)Nazi germany while only using militia and suffering only 1 canonical casuality.

Welkin is just absurd seriously.

People still haven't asked why i proposed Zeno, that make me sad.

Shikaku is also smarter than people on the level of teen sasuke who had ridiculous strategies against peer opponents and is far smarter than kid sasuke who is smarter than kid Naruto who came up with the famous demon shuriken transformation to attempt to defeat Zabuza.

I will put Welkin up at the top since he seems like a good contender. I am unsure if red counts sadly but if everyone is fine with it I will be a bit more lax.

You know what, scene it All strategy is allowed no large scale limit. Let their be chaos.

00potato said:
You know what, scene it All strategy is allowed no large scale limit. Let their be chaos.
Large Scale is a vague standard anyway, back during the tribal era, a large scale battle would be like 10 dudes.

Would suggest The Colonel, do not have an specific instance of his tactical abilities, but with 240 in Tactics, you can compare it with historical characters like Anibal, Nobunaga, Napoleon I, or any well known tactician in the real world, and he is better than any of them.

What the best known military strategist recorded by history could do in the best moment of his career, Wilhelm could do it with moderate difficulty.

For now Colnel will stay at 2 as I don't think that it is Wilheim level but he is unquantifiable compared to the others without some debate.

00potato said:
How should we decise whether to put someone above or below another character?
No idea.

I'd like to nominate the commander from X-com, you can hardly outdo the commander in term of commando scale strategy bulshittery.

TriforcePower1 said:
JoJo characters: Hippity hoppity this list is now our property
It's strategist in the military sense, not the fighter sense.

Which make me think, Robin or Corbin from fire emblem awakening and fate could probably have a spot on the list;

I removed that rule to open up spots, so jo of the jo is acceptable once we plan out where to put them.

Dragomer said:
I think it's more impressive if you say it like that ; Welkin has (Not!)Belgium beat (Not!)Nazi germany while only using militia and suffering only 1 canonical casuality.

It's actually more like (Not!)Belgium vs (Not!)East Europe.

The Empire is basically Nazi Germany + Russia

Kaltias said:
Dragomer said:

It's actually more like (Not!)Belgium vs (Not!)East Europe.
The Empire is basically Nazi Germany + Russia
That's even more absurd, that's like winning the first world war with just the first 10 guys you found in a bar and the only casualty is the one with a peg leg and a dead kidney, who wouldn't even have died in a straight fight.

Schnee One said:
Israel: Laughs in 3 day war
Obviously it's not the same if you have technologicaly superiority, even i can beat a 200 cavemen in a war if you give me a bunch of bombers.

Schnee One said:
<Laughs in Vietnam surviving bombers by being in caves
I have to admit, the Vietnamese were good, they beat both france and the US, not many nations can say as much, even if it was more a decolonisation thing than an actual full-on war.

Dudes were so savage they traumatised the US troops into advancing the psychological research field XD

Dragomer said:
That's even more absurd, that's like winning the first world war with just the first 10 guys you found in a bar and the only casualty is the one with a peg leg and a dead kidney, who wouldn't even have died in a straight fight.
Yea basically. Although tbf it's not like Gallia was fighting the entire military might of the Empire, most of their forces were fighting the Atlantic Federation (Well more like chasing them down after the YOLO rush for the capital failed).

Still, what essentially amounts to am very worn out portion of the invasion force that had already suffered multiple important defeats was still curbstomping the Gallian Army at Naggiar.

Squad 7 (Welkin's squad) was pretty much the cause for like every Imperial death one way or the other (Except during the battle of Naggiar itself as that victory was thanks to Alicia reaching Ultra Instinct).

Political Map (VC1)
Here is a map in case anyone wants to see the Gallia-Empire difference

Jericho Swai

Guy is world famous for being able to remain ten steps ahead of any opponent at any given time and his tactical skill let him overthrow and seize control of the most powerful nation in the world in a single night with just a small force of exhausted soldiers

Ok, just need to add Jericho and Yellow once I get the link, I will just put everyone at random spots until we start the comparisons and agree on a spot for each. So don't complain about specific spots unless you want to start debating your character over others.

Also Nasus

Recognized as a veritable genius, being able to read, memorize, and critique the greatest works of history, philosophy, and rhetoric, before he was ten years old, was enrolled in a college for military strategy where his grasp on military strategy and logistics landed him the rank of General in his early teens, quickly gaining a reputation for being able to remain twelve steps ahead of his opponents at any given time, being able to predict their movement and reactions, as well as pinpoint the exact moment to push the attack or pull back, guiding the armies of Shurima to countless victories.

Back