• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Berserk Discussion Thread

I've been on the hunt looking for and reading satisfying/cathartic stories whether it be badass MCs plowing through bad guys, revenge stories, or even karmic stories where the MC chills while the people who screwed him over suffers.

Berserk on top of being one of my all-time favorites also does all of these really well.

I've been on the hunt looking for and reading satisfying/cathartic stories whether it be badass MCs plowing through bad guys, revenge stories, or even karmic stories where the MC chills while the people who screwed him over suffers.
I love Berserk for how well it does this. It’s filled with catharsis like that but it never feels indulgent
gathered some feats and abilities that would be cool to add while I'm doing it.
Plus of course, it's simply just good.
Oo
Very curious what those are

Here's a question, why aren't we scaling Golden Age Guts to 8-A? Or at the very minimum, High 8-C off that one apostle, Guts in the Golden age could fight apostles, he ****** a handful in the eclipse and could even fight Zodd, block his strikes albeit barely and wound him. And not just a tiny bit, huge deep gashes that even gained praise by Zodd.

I don't quite think Guts jumped in power 300x over to 8-A between the two arcs, he got stronger definitely but not to that degree, most of the AP buff seemed to be simply from obtaining the Dragon Slayer, allowing Guts to make better use of his strength, as swords tend to do.

Is there an answer for this? i'm just curious? Is it because outlier or whatever that early?

Which Apostle had the High 8-C?

Otherwise that mostly makes sense, he never seemed to get much stronger

Which Apostle had the High 8-C?

Otherwise that mostly makes sense, he never seemed to get much stronger
The wall busting one, just a normal apostle in the neo band of the hawk.

I'm not saying he got 300x times stronger obviously (cause that's dumb lol), but he definitely made huge gains.
IIRC, he was struggling a lot against Wyald, and Wyald was clearly outclassed by Zodd. Black Swordsman Guts did decently well against Zodd for a little bit, so yeah I think he made some nice gains for sure.

That being said, I think the jump from 9-B to 8-A is kinda extreme lol. High 8-C makes more sense, probably.

I'm not saying he got 300x times stronger obviously (cause that's dumb lol), but he definitely made huge gains.
IIRC, he was struggling a lot against Wyald, and Wyald was clearly outclassed by Zodd. Black Swordsman Guts did decently well against Zodd for a little bit, so yeah I think he made some nice gains for sure.

That being said, I think the jump from 9-B to 8-A is kinda extreme lol. High 8-C makes more sense, probably.
The thing is, yeah Wyald is way weaker than Zodd, but it ain't by like, well according to the profile, about 2925x, based on a feat Wyald did with zero effort. The 9-A feat is the hawks dropping boulders on Wyald and Wyald just raising his hand to stop the boulder, which smashes on his fist, in human form mind you, it's a bit feat, not reflective of how strong he actually is. Technically speaking, we have him like 1000-2000x weaker than every other apostle due to an extremely casual feat, he may not be Zodd, but he's not that weak.
And then add Guts throwing hands with apostles in the eclipse, one shotting an apostle with the Dragon Slayer at the end of the golden age, and furthering that, taking hits from a casual Zodd and even wounding him, forcing him to transform, and even cutting his apostle form (this one may be a tad bit an outlier all things considered, but the rest is actually kinda consistent).

tbh, I wouldn't say Guts should be 8-A, but he should definitely be above a feat done with zero effort, probably just scale him off human form apostles and downscale a small bit off monster form apostles.

Though I've just voicing my thoughts here as I'm rereading the manga at the moment, was a bit odd in my opinion the scaling we have right now.

The thing is, yeah Wyald is way weaker than Zodd, but it ain't by like, well according to the profile, about 2925x, based on a feat Wyald did with zero effort. The 9-A feat is the hawks dropping boulders on Wyald and Wyald just raising his hand to stop the boulder, which smashes on his fist, in human form mind you, it's a bit feat, not reflective of how strong he actually is. Technically speaking, we have him like 1000-2000x weaker than every other apostle due to an extremely casual feat, he may not be Zodd, but he's not that weak.
And then add Guts throwing hands with apostles in the eclipse, one shotting an apostle with the Dragon Slayer at the end of the golden age, and furthering that, taking hits from a casual Zodd and even wounding him, forcing him to transform, and even cutting his apostle form (this one may be a tad bit an outlier all things considered, but the rest is actually kinda consistent).

tbh, I wouldn't say Guts should be 8-A, but he should definitely be above a feat done with zero effort, probably just scale him off human form apostles and downscale a small bit off monster form apostles.

Though I've just voicing my thoughts here as I'm rereading the manga at the moment, was a bit odd in my opinion the scaling we have right now.
Yeah, you make a good point. He definitely shouldn't be that weak.

Last edited:
There's a handful of missing abilities, though all I've done is do a thread on ***** demon, and ESP/ES Branded Guts.
I'll do the rest later, unless someone else wants to take charge on it and do it now ("now" comparatively to when I would've done), in which case I'll just supply a handful of things and they can compile it into an actual CRT format.

That’s bot really an argument, VSBW has and allows insane jumps in tiers from form to form all the time

I mean, the 9-B/9-A doesnt make sense. There are feats Tier 8 on golden age

Also, Guts has been fighting spirits for 2 years on every night, it makes sense for him to get extremely stronger.

I'm not really interested in powerscaling Berserk that much right now, but yeah in a narrative sense a lot of times jumping tiers with massive gaps isn't that unheard of especially for tiers 7 and below.

Aside from talks about Guts though, even Griffith was able to actually harm Nosferatu Zodd, cutting his arm off. So if Tier 8 feats are more consistent then it's not just Guts that's gonna get upgraded.

Wasn't there a thread about piercing/slashing feats and how to treat them, though?

Addressing some things other than the power gap:

1. Guts didn't force Zodd to transform during their first fight, Zodd chose to transform as a sort of "reward" which basically meant "congratulations, you're not a scrub like everyone else I've been killing for 300 years"

2. The Apostle that performed the High 8-C feat is shown to be generally stronger than Golden Age Guts, as it was the one that pinned him in place and forced him to cut off his own arm.

Reading Berserk really reminded me of one obscure thing, which is my love-hate treatment of Corkus.

I like him as a character from a meta perspective. He goes against the grain and is among the most easily identifiable and stand-out personalities among the Band of the Falcon/Hawk. He's well-written, not as much of a background character, and he doesn't overstay his screentime that much.

At the same time, he looks like a farmer impregnated a donkey and the donkey gave birth to Corkus by ******** him in a toilet. And his personality is easily worse than his appearance. He's a character that's very easy to hate, because he's a massive hypocrite who rebels against the Band and Griffith's will, and an enormously dishonest person who often says things that are untrue, mostly for the sake of simply getting a reaction from Guts. His actions are irrational, likely due to his emotions despite him being intelligent enough to know the truth.

Don't mind me, just admiring Miura's writing even for this tertiary character.

1. Guts didn't force Zodd to transform during their first fight, Zodd chose to transform as a sort of "reward" which basically meant "congratulations, you're not a scrub like everyone else I've been killing for 300 years"
Sure, by embedding his sword into his arm and shoulder. It isn't quite "you're good I'll reward", but more "you're actually worthy, I'll reward".
If Zodd's dura is whatever it is, Guts should scale accordingly. Zodd even says he isn't actually really holding back, not going all out, but definitely not pulling punches.

It's a big fat outlier
I'd say the feat with Griffith is, that's a bit suspect when Guts himself is only cutting him and even his base yet the weaker Griffith rolls up and does a complete dismemberment.

The Apostle that performed the High 8-C feat is shown to be generally stronger than Golden Age Guts, as it was the one that pinned him in place and forced him to cut off his own arm.
That's more a LS feat, Guts is clearly weaker than monster apostles in Golden Age, but it definitely aint by a few thousand times, and Wyald aint weaker than other apostles human forms to that degree. I simply don't think scaling them to what is essentially the equal to a body builder crushing a tin can is fair, at least scale em to human Zodd imo.

Wyald was stronger than Guts but Guts was also able to cut through his arm, legs and torso though not fatal wounds. Not sure where that puts Guts though.

Imo, I'd just put him at "At most" whatever the characters he's wounding are, we have "at most" on the wiki for things like that, maybe even just slap a likely in front of it to eer on caution.
That or just downscale him a bit to whoever he's slicing up.

And idk if I wanna use the slashing argument against it, while it's true it's with a sword, Guts' sword is used more like a club half the time, it's more pure raw KE and force applied through a beat stick.

Griffith taking off Zodd's limb always struck me as very odd. One thing I noticed in Berserk is that characters can survive much higher-tiered stuff, but can also be damaged by things way lower on the scaling chain.

I mean, Guts certainly can survive strikes from transformed, very strong apostles, but at the same time, he is actively shown to also be wounded by normal people with sword slashes and the like. I'm not saying that we should make Guts' tier lower, I'm in fact just remembering that it isn't unusual for Berserk characters to be wounded by stuff on a much lower tier than those their highest, consistent feats.

Medieval fantasy setting 🤷‍♂️
We can have small cuts off spears in the same scene a dude gets launched through like 10ft solid marble and granite. Though fortunately Guts is actually made out to be far less susceptible to those types of things with them mostly only nicking him half the time unless wielded by a superhuman and as it goes on it basically just stops being a thing.

I distinctly remember someone telling me that the Idea of Evil controlling world events was retconned. Is this true, and if yes, then how?

I distinctly remember someone telling me that the Idea of Evil controlling world events was retconned. Is this true, and if yes, then how?
Less of a retcon and more of a "forget the IoE is even a thing for the time being".
The chapter was taken out of the volume release, forget why exactly but it was either IoE being a thing was to limiting in regards to story or that it revealed to much of the story at that point.
I wouldnt say it aint canon but it is in a weird spot.

Griffith taking off Zodd's limb always struck me as very odd. One thing I noticed in Berserk is that characters can survive much higher-tiered stuff, but can also be damaged by things way lower on the scaling chain.

I mean, Guts certainly can survive strikes from transformed, very strong apostles, but at the same time, he is actively shown to also be wounded by normal people with sword slashes and the like. I'm not saying that we should make Guts' tier lower, I'm in fact just remembering that it isn't unusual for Berserk characters to be wounded by stuff on a much lower tier than those their highest, consistent feats.
It's because Guts' entire toughness, AP and all that, is a combination of endurance, tenacity, equipment, and all of that among others.

Like if Guts didn't have his armor on, he would've died in a lot of the situations he was in. And if he wasn't wielding the Dragon Slayer, he wouldn't have done much physical damage agains the higher level Apostles.

Guts did have trouble even against lower tier beings like Pseudo-Apostles like the Goat-thing in Albion but some Pseudo-Apostles seem to be implied to be stronger than even some regular apostles, like the pervert priest torturer guy.

Furthermore, Guts is used to fighting through severe injuries and he had Puck for the majority of the time ever since after the Eclipse. Puck has been very useful keeping Guts alive in between and sometimes even during fights, even if his healing is somewhat limited in short time applications.

Last edited:
I'm SO excited and happy about this, but I can't help but be a bit concerned.
Me too man, it's never gonna be the same as it was, it would be foolish to think that

And it likely won't go exactly the way Miura would have wanted it to go

But at the same time, I trust they'll honor Miura's legacy and do the best that they can

I'm just grateful that we are getting Berserk back in any form, because I genuinely thought it was over for good

Back