• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Batman vs Light Yagami, but a bit different

I'm not sure if this will be eligible for addition with all of the changes to SBA this will require, buuuuut...

Light Yagami starts the Death Note killings. In order to save "innocent" criminals, Batman takes action and begins investigating in secret.

"Battle" takes place across the world, with Batman starting in Gotham and Light starting Kanto region of Japan. There is no time limit. BFR, self or not, is not a win condition. In order to be declared winner, Batman must reveal Light's identity as Kira with enough eveidence to make a successful arrest, or take the Death Note from Light to stop the Kira murders. Batman will lose by one of three ways:

1. Light kills him.

2. Light is detained, but without enough eveidence to make a successful arrest.

3. Light kills himself in custody (with the Death Note) after being detained with enough evidence for a successful arrest.

In the opposite manner, Light will win by any of those three methods. Light will lose via one of two ways:

1. Revealing his identity as Kira, either willingly or not, to Batman.

2. Losing the Death Note.

Neither have previous knowledge, other than the basic knowledge Batman can glean from Light's early killings.

In this battle of wits, who will prove themselves just?

Light Yagami, god complex high schooler:

Batman, the only man who can lie to the lasso of truth:

Why would I even try to make such a complex match-up? (incon):

If Batman actually finds the kid, he'll have no trouble just taking the book away from him, making the entire process much easier. Is Light smart enough to figure out that Batman is Bruce Wayne?

Alright, let me rephrase that. He's smart enough to do it, but would he figure out Batman is Bruce Wayne before Batman figures out who he is?

Putting together the clues for batman's identity wouldn't be hard because if Light feels they match up at all he will start killing anyone who matches the description

He would have to be rich, well built and athletic etc. If he ended up knowing about Bruce a cursory investigation would give him enough clues that he might be Batman for Light to kill him.

Although you could potentially make a case for Light just being able to write Batman in the book and have it work</s<

Remember, neither know anything about each other. Light knows the same amount about Batman as he did about L at the start of the series, which is none at all.

In contrast, Batman knows about the same about Light as L did before the Kira investigation began, which is, again, none at all.

It's a battle of wits. Can Light, with his supernatural powers, managed to glean Batman's identity as Bruce Wayne before Batman can find out Light's identity as Kira? Most importantly, can Batman find enough evidence to reliably convict Light in the court of law? If he can't, the fight incons, as Light won't face justice (music cue) but he also can't create his perfect world.

And @Setsuna Tenma, yeah. I think the discussion is interesting enough to be brought up here and talked through more throughly though.

Yobo Blue said:
I don't know about Post-Flashpoint, but if he's anything like Post-Crisis Batman, probably not.
Yeah, they basically became one and the same after Rebirth. Post-Crisis storyline are casually brought up all the time like Batman shooting and getting shot by Darkseid. He is even said to have one of the greatest mind in existence by a 6D being... so...

This is an interesting one. Bruce Wayne and Batman are extremely different personalities and only a very small amount of people in the DC Universe know that he's Bruce Wayne-and most of those people were told by Batman that he was Bruce Wayne.

If Light knew Batman was hunting him, he'd do the safest move and kill anyone and everyone that could even possibly be Batman. Sure, with this method it would still take him an extremely long while to do so, but it would mean that eventually Bruce Wayne would cross his list, and Batman would die. How long this would take varies, I'd say possibly 2 week-2 months, except this doesn't factor in Batman.

Since Light would be doing this safest option, Batman would certainly take note of all the people suddenly dropping dead that could be thought to be Batman. As a result, Bruce would just try to distance himself from the Batman persona even more in several ways to try and fool Light. With his riches and technology, Batman could devise some absolutely fantastical ways to go about doing this. Batman could even have a clone of himself reveal to the world that he, [Made-up Name], is Batman, causing Light to kill the clone and be at a false ease while Bruce Wayne keeps on kicking and continues the investigation.

I'd say Batman wins due to the immnurable amount of ways he could go about this while Light's best method is a somewhat predictable one.

Been a long time since I watched or read Death Note. Isn't it OOC for Light to kill a well-known philanthropist that is saving Gotham city, one of the worst crime-riddled places in the world, with his wealth? I know Light later on in the series started to use more questionable methods and would make 'sacrifices' but if this is beginning Light, I don't recall him being the type of person to just kill Bruce Wayne on pure suspicion and paranoia.

Batman has the identity advantage, technologies, wealth and training to root out Light and Light is very unlikely to kill Bruce Wayne, unless he knows Batman is hunting him and has ample evidence that Bruce is Batman + has become unhinged enough like his later self.

I'm voting Batman, for now.

It's in character for Light to kill anyone who gets in his way.

If it was out of character, he wouldn't have had his outraged freak out at Lind L. Tailor for stating he would catch him.

Yeah, behind all of his posturing speeches and clever schemes, Light is a murder happy narcissist. I don't doubt him just flat out killing anyone who even coincidentally might be Batman at a glance.

L was baiting Light and attempting to enrage him and, no offense, but L isn't a guy on the other side of the world that spends his wealth saving an entire city very publicaly. L is certainly impressive as the world's greatest detective, but he is no philanthropist.

Essentially speaking, the argument is that Light, someone who strongly desires for a better world, would kill Bruce Wayne, someone bringing light into one of the worst cities in the entire world, purely on the suspicion that he MIGHT be Batman. To add further, Light was given the impression that Lind was L which is why he chose to kill Lind, due to L baiting him with mockery and criticism.

Overall, you are comparing Light murdering a detective, who is actively mocking him globally and is outright stating he is the detective that will ruin his entire vision of a future to Bruce Wayne, the ditzy philanthropist that just wants to make Gotham a better place for kids, being murdered on mere suspicion of being Batman.

I can definitely picture End Light being insane and egotistical enough to murder Bruce Wayne on mere suspicion, but I sincerely don't think it's IC for Beginning Light to kill a philanthropist on suspicion alone, and I find it hard to believe he would mass murder people as mere suspects at the beginning of the show either.

Light tells himself he desires a better world, but he doesn't. He desires to stroke his own ego and he does that by killing people and telling them it's "For The Greater Good". The whole reason Light took the bait was because he was criticized.

Considering Lind outright talked about convicting light which he took as an affront to his crusade of Goodness for the world, compared to Batman in this scenario just starting to research about Light without Light knowing anything about Batman in the first place, or rather that he's aiming for him, I don't see Light doing that. Batman 'tends' to stay in his pocket of Gotham.

Not to mention, Light is super murder happy but he's not impulsive nor stupid. He didn't just start killing everyone he could potentially think of when L played him for a fool.

Furthermore, Batman has extensive connections, money, and stupidly high intelligence. He already has a ton of personas he uses when he's going incognito or gathering information - if L could think of a plan to see what Kira would do, close the area of investigation and not reveal a single thing about himself, Batman should be able to as well. Especially since L has literally no idea something like a death note is possible until way later in the series, compared to Batman who has clashed with and has a lot of experience with magical bullshit and people with powers.

Yeah, fair enough. I was more arguing against the notion of Light being "Well-Intentioned" anyways. Batman FRA.

Well, I think Light does seem well-intentioned, he's just batshit insane with a god complex. I consider him to be like Old Testament God ramped up to eleven in his disposition. He acts and thinks like he is 'good' but is sincerely screwed up.

From his perspective, he thinks he has good intent and goals but literally anyone outside of his mentally ill cult would call him a psychopathic monster.

Regardless, the argument is that Light wouldn't mass murder suspects at the beginning of the show, which seems to be agreed upon. No reason to discuss the philosophies and ethics of Death Note, a show I haven't seen in several years.

And I just realised I technically insulted Christians in that post, despite actually being sympathetic towards religious beliefs. I was referring to Light in regards to a 'mentally ill cult', with no intent for it to refer to Christianity.

My bad if anyone read that and felt attacked (except Light fanboys I guess).

Not really? I'd say just edit it around if you really think so but the amount of mental gymnastics someone would have to go through to assume that is ludicrous anyway tbh.

I compared Light to Old Testament God and then compared Light's followers as a 'mentally ill cult'. That's where I derived the potential for insult, as someone reading it could misunderstand what I was saying. Good to know that a Christian takes no offense, but it's probably best for me to point out that the text meant no ill intent to avoid offense.

Too lazy to edit to be less potentially offensive, not lazy enough to not post "I wasn't referring to Christianity as a mentally ill cult" in advance.

Regardless, the situation heavily favors Batman in all ways. He is merely researching Light's crimes and Light won't have any knowledge of this unless Batman himself tries some sort of ploy that would grab Light's attention.

He has equal intelligence at worst, technology, money, experience, connections and... did I mention experience? Because again, Batman is used to magical shit, really used to super powered shit too. Someone who can kill from a distance without being at the scene of the crime isn't the weirdest day on his job but it would surely fire a lot of red flags because of the implications.

Finally and above all, his ridiculous stealth. If by any chance he does manage to find Light and make the connection, but wanting further proof to be sure, Batman's stealth capabilities even without first accounting for tech enhancing it are absurd.

Keeping information secret is kind of Batman's forte (one of many obviously). It's telling that for a while in the comics the idea that Superman and Batman were the same person was considered reasonable to the public.

Technically, Batman also has a vault containing numerous magical artifacts and alien technologies doesn't he? So he also has access to objects that Light can't even begin to imagine existing.

If this were Post-Crisis Batman, I'd have to wonder if Batman could even seal the powers of the Death Note via his magic sealing spell.

As of now Post-Flashpoint Batman has his Post-Crisis memories from my understanding, hence why I mentioned the above Post-Crisis feat

Was it Post-Flashpoint that made a suit that blocks out all forms of light radiation in preparation for Superman before he even knew of Superman, turning himself effectively and completely invisible?

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Was it Post-Flashpoint that made a suit that blocks out all forms of light radiation in preparation for Superman before he even knew of Superman, turning himself effectively and completely invisible?
Yes.

Back