• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Light Yagami vs Walter White | 0-0-0

Rules
  • Walter & Light are aware of each other's existence and are trying to hunt each other down out of paranoia that the other will eventually find and kill them. They're sending all the people that they have at their disposal toward one another while using the rest of their resources to try and find the other one's real name (so that Walt can have Light swatted / so that Light can write Walt's name in the Death Note)
  • S5A Walter White with help from Jack's Gang, Mike, Jesse, and Saul. Kira, right as of him becoming a nationwide threat with help from his closest associates.
  • Distance: 10 miles
  • Location: A neutral place in the US where both have access to their listed closest associates. Central park, New York.
  • Both are in-character.

Light Yagami wins: 0

Walter White wins: 0

Inconclusive:

Last edited:
Oof, tough battle, I honestly think Walt has this. Unless it takes place in Japan.

Where does this take place in?

Misa Amane is a close associate of Light. She can see the name of anyone she looks at.

Light could probably send Misa towards a place Walter is in and have her take one good look at Walter and text Light Walter's name.

I should point out that Light would probably not attempt to do any risky searches that would put himself in danger. The battle between Light and L resulted in specific circumstances that were both character driven and circumstantial. I don't know much about Walter, so I don't have anything else to write right now.

I should point out that Light would probably not attempt to do any risky searches that would put himself in danger. The battle between Light and L resulted in specific circumstances that were both character driven and circumstantial. I don't know much about Walter, so I don't have anything else to write right now.
He also risked himself against Near, and Mello. Light in character uses risky plans against people he respects in terms of intelligence, and this is shown in all of Death Note. There's no reason to assume Light wouldn't do all of these here.

Couldn't Light just send Misa to search for Walter's name? I doubt he would know Misa can see names with a glance, or even be suspicious of her.

She wouldn't make that connection unless she directly saw Heisenberg (Which would be difficult given how he lacks any photographs and is secretive by nature) and saw the "Walter White" above his name.

If she just saw regular Walt, she wouldn't figure out he's Heisenberg, as the Shinigami eyes would just tell her his real name is "Walter White," which isn't helpful.

He also risked himself against Near, and Mello. Light in character uses risky plans against people he respects in terms of intelligence, and this is shown in all of Death Note. There's no reason to assume Light wouldn't do all of these here.
The battle conditions describe that Light and Walter are aware of each other's existence and are paranoid that one of them will find and kill the other first. This doesn't even suggest that the two have any idea of how their opponent could kill them, let alone how smart their opponent is. This makes sense, since Light having been Kira never ended up getting publicized (in-setting).

…To be precise, I meant that Light wouldn't do a risky search by default. Of course, the scenario can play out in a way that diverges from the default, as any battle scenario may. Also, by "risky search", I mean like outright trying to meet Walter in person. Light would be willing to go outdoors if he doesn't think he would easily die from it.

The battle conditions describe that Light and Walter are aware of each other's existence and are paranoid that one of them will find and kill the other first. This doesn't even suggest that the two have any idea of how their opponent could kill them, let alone how smart their opponent is. This makes sense, since Light having been Kira never ended up getting publicized (in-setting).
Any cursory analysis of Heisenberg will tell you he's intelligent.

Dude made his own drug. Light will know very quickly he's respectable.

Any cursory analysis of Heisenberg will tell you he's intelligent.

Dude made his own drug. Light will know very quickly he's respectable.
That's true. However, I think Light would want to know a bit more than that before risking his life too much for fun and/or for his vanity. Light seems to value intelligence when it has more versatile applications. L was a detective and Near succeeds him; the skills of a detective are useful outside of the job and they tend to be associated with general intelligence, concerning the ability to "deduce" and whatnot, which are skills Light has too. Mello was very efficient like a detective and he was more willing to act than any of the other characters, but he wasn't as smart as L and Near, so in accordance, Light underestimated him. Light underestimating Mello is one of the reasons why he lost against Near in the end, so Light not taking characters too seriously can even be to a fault. In this versus battle scenario, Light would probably deduce that Walter is an incredible chemist from that cursory analysis, but I'm not sure how seriously Light would take the battle in that context. Light most likely knows a lot about science, since he gets outstanding grades in his academic pursuits with no difficulty, but whether or not he would be egotistical about it as Kira is a mystery.

Wasn't it kinda obvious that the chemist teacher with cancer was the drug dealer but Hank just didn't believe it because of personal reasons?

Wasn't it kinda obvious that the chemist teacher with cancer was the drug dealer but Hank just didn't believe it because of personal reasons?
I think I remember hearing something like that from a YouTube video, but I don't know how canon that is. Based on the Intelligence section of Walter's profile, it looks like he has deception skills anyway.

That's true. However, I think Light would want to know a bit more than that before risking his life too much for fun and/or for his vanity. Light seems to value intelligence when it has more versatile applications. L was a detective and Near succeeds him; the skills of a detective are useful outside of the job and they tend to be associated with general intelligence, concerning the ability to "deduce" and whatnot, which are skills Light has too. Mello was very efficient like a detective and he was more willing to act than any of the other characters, but he wasn't as smart as L and Near, so in accordance, Light underestimated him. Light underestimating Mello is one of the reasons why he lost against Near in the end, so Light not taking characters too seriously can even be to a fault. In this versus battle scenario, Light would probably deduce that Walter is an incredible chemist from that cursory analysis, but I'm not sure how seriously Light would take the battle in that context. Light most likely knows a lot about science, since he gets outstanding grades in his academic pursuits with no difficulty, but whether or not he would be egotistical about it as Kira is a mystery.
Light lost at the end because he didn't account for Mikami. He never underestimated them, and even sacrificed his own father to get the death note back. The reason Mello was so effective at the beginning was the sheer amount of chaos he was willing to cause to brute force his way to victory. Light understands, and is wary of that in the same way he is wary of a more methodical approach like Near.

He also wasn't unwilling to take drastic measures against either. He got himself locked up in a warehouse with Near, and even sacrificed his own dad. For Christ's sake, he even gave L a death note just to save Misa (And yes I know he was kinda forced into helping Misa. I bring this up because it proves that Light is willing to go to extremes for his goals).
I think I remember hearing something like that from a YouTube video, but I don't know how canon that is. Based on the Intelligence section of Walter's profile, it looks like he has deception skills anyway.
It's entirely canon. Hank straight up ignored incredibly damning circumstantial evidence against Walt. Like the high school gas mask.

Light lost at the end because he didn't account for Mikami. He never underestimated them, and even sacrificed his own father to get the death note back. The reason Mello was so effective at the beginning was the sheer amount of chaos he was willing to cause to brute force his way to victory. Light understands, and is wary of that in the same way he is wary of a more methodical approach like Near.
I was referring to the final few chapters. Here is a scan of Light expressing underestimation of Mello...
13.jpg

Source: Death Note, Volume 12, Chapter 102 titled Patience.

Light ended up being wrong about what he described of Mello. Light had thought that Mello made an idiotic move and caused Near to make an oversight, but in fact, Near benefited from what Mello did, as Near described below...
01.jpg

Source: Death Note, Volume 12, Chapter 104 titled The Answer.

I don't want cross the line of fair use, so I'll just write the rest... In the subsequent pages, Near showed and explained that Mikami took out his real Death Note to write that Ms. Takada should die of suicide and burning to death, independent of Light's orders. Near explained how he figured out that there was a fake Death Note, and he was thankful that Mello had set up a situation for this to happen, even though it costed Mello's life. Light thought that Near didn't know about Takada's suicide because Light didn't know that Mikami acted independently, so you're correct about what you described by itself, but my point is that Light does still tend to underestimate opponents who aren't extremely smart. Mello used more physical force than strategy, like you wrote, but that shouldn't be to discredit how clever Mello actually was, which Light never fully realized until he had already failed.
He also wasn't unwilling to take drastic measures against either. He got himself locked up in a warehouse with Near, and even sacrificed his own dad. For Christ's sake, he even gave L a death note just to save Misa (And yes I know he was kinda forced into helping Misa. I bring this up because it proves that Light is willing to go to extremes for his goals).
The question is about "risky" measures, not "drastic" nor "extreme" measures. It's obvious that Light took drastic and extreme measures, and I see obvious things. It's also obvious that he wouldn't wander outdoors searching for his opponent without a careful plan just because his opponent is an incredible chemist. If Light were to go outdoors, he would think about what to do very meticulously beforehand. This careful planning that Light does is what I wanted to point out, because I don't want people to get the false impression that his haughtiness would take over his mind just because he has a very strong desire to succeed.
It's entirely canon. Hank straight up ignored incredibly damning circumstantial evidence against Walt. Like the high school gas mask.
Good to know. Thanks for attesting that.

Back