• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Base Thanos vs Marth with the Infinity Gauntlet

I've been tossing the idea of Marth or Chrom vs Thanos for a long time now just because of the Fire Emblem being a less iconic Infinity Gauntlet

I should also mention that Thanos doesn't have the blade of the Thanoscopter with him, just to keep this fair

JustSomeWeirdo said:
the Fire Emblem being a less iconic Infinity Gauntlet
Also, I know how the completed Fire Emblem is its own key, so in case it wasn't obvious, Marth also has Falchion (or else this would just be a stomp)

yeah that uh

you still shoud have made that clear in the description btw

Anyway, how do their aps and duras compare?

Marth is above 380 Teratons, while Thanos is probably pushing the limits of High 6-B

Thanos definitely has the edge in AP and Dura

mhm, then I'd say he wins it. Btw, where does one actually find calcs for characters on their pages?

Thanos scales above Thor, who has this calc for his Durability

Marth is a little trickier, he scales from Dark Dragon Medeus, who scales above his Earth Dragon self, who scales to Marth (without the completed Fire Emblem), who scales from Alm, who scales from Duma and Mila, who collectively performed a baseline 6-A feat

The AP gap, while notable (imo), is less than 2x

Yeah but where do you find the calcs, what process did you do to get to the numbers, I'm kinda new to the wiki.

Anyway, though the AP gap isn't unsormountable, I don't think Marth's admittedly useful fire emblem can be enough to make up for it. He probably shouldn't be able to seal Thanos, it only works on dragons iirc. Healing probably wouldn't be enough to make up for how much damage he'd take.

Alright lets see here.

I admittedly dont know much about Thanos (Or Marvel/DC in general), so dont overly angry when i read something wrong or downsell Thanos too much.

But what are the votes actually based on? Thanos only real advantage is his less then 2 times bigger AP and his Skill advantage (Being a 1000 year old warlord and stuff). Marth can migate the AP disatvantage with his Starsphere, not fully obviously but still migate it. Marth can attack Thanos by using his Earthsphere by causing smaller earthquakes, thus migating the skill atvantage of Thanos by a small but existing degree (Because Marth dosnt have to tango with Thanos directly to damage him, thus getting beating in close quarter combat due to skill difference). But the biggest problem i see here is how people undersell Falchions heal here. Marth can actually keep up with Thanos thanks to this. Because now, every blow from Thanos towards Marth isnt long lasting, it gets healed over the course of the fight. Thanos's wounds on the other hand will last for the duel. And now to Marths absolute trump card in this fight: The Dark Sphere. Yes its insanely out of character for Marth to use it. But even Marth will consider using it after seeing his opponent slowly beating him in a drawn out fight (Remember, Marths Sphere's only migate Thanos' advantages, not nullyfies them), Marth is chivalrous, not stupid.

With that glossed over, lets see how the fight would maybe turn out:

Both will engage in close quarter combat, they have no other choice. Marth has a tiny advantage in range through his Falchion, because swords plus arm > arm, even if the arm belongs to a preeetty big man. This dosnt prevent Thanos from flexing with his AP and Skill though, so Marth gets pushed back slowly. His Falchion and the Star and-Lifesphere keep Marth from being pushed back too fast, while the Geosphere plus occasional hits from Marth himself widdles on Thanos stamina. But Marth will still probably lose the exchange simply due the clear advantages on Thanos' side. So now it depends fully on wether or not Marth uses the Darksphere to mess with Thanos's mind to prevent him from harming Marth further, ending the duel in Marth's favor. Or his chivalrous code prevents him from using it and Thanos will win this drawn out exchange.

I already outlined why Marth using the Darksphere is a possibilty in this match so i vote Inconclusive. It fully depends on wether Marth dies first or if he pulles the Darksphere.

The Darksphere corrupted Hardin's mind, an ally Marth knew as righteous, and he knows it would do the same to him if he pulled it out of the Emblem. I was admittedly not sure on the Darksphere being the one that did so, but the FE wiki says so. While Marth can heal, Thanos would catch onto that, and since this falchion's healing proprieties are not automatic, would not give him time to do that.

Marth has the Starsphere AND the Lightsphere tho, so thats a non issue.

Thanos has admittedly no big leeway in interrupting someone just swingin his sword a bit special, so that isnt really a problem too

Thanos via higher AP, durability, skill, experience and brains. He fought several 392 teraton characters at once, though he did have the blade - and they were more versatile overall. His size also means that Marth'll have to work harder to cut deeper, and it also gives him leverage.

I already adressed everything tho.

Spheres will migate the advantages of Thanos and i dont think the Avengers had a literal "I win" button like Marth does with the Darksphere

It's never said those actually combat the Darksphere's effect. They only cancel its invincibility. But if they actually prevented its corruption, Marth could have just waved them in front of Hardin's face and cured him. Even if it were like that, I don't think it's in character for him to do it anyway.

The stat buffs the Fire Emblem gives are relatively minor, not enougha to bridge a x2 ap gap. Also, this is Marth with the Fie Emblem, and once in it, the spheres' singular effects are cancelled.

And healing with the Falchion is not "swinging his sword a bit special" since he can't attack while healing himself, and since speed is the same, the second he stops attacking he eats a punch in the face, that likely hurts him more than the falchion heals.

The stat buffs the Fire Emblem gives are relatively minor, not enougha to bridge a x2 ap gap. Also, this is Marth with the Fie Emblem, and once in it, the spheres' singular effects are cancelled.

The buff being minor is basically game mechanics tho, stats in general are game mechanics. What counts are their effects. And even if you want to argue that they are not, then look it that way. Starsphere gives more stats than standing in a fort. The buff of the Sphere is stronger than standing in a far more favourable position.

And sorry but i dont remember that being stated in game. Do you have sources?

And healing with the Falchion is not "swinging his sword a bit special" since he can't attack while healing himself, and since speed is the same, the second he stops attacking he eats a punch in the face, that likely hurts him more than the falchion heals.

It is though. Marth dosnt stop attacking just because he uses his Falchion to heal (And Marth passing a turn because of using his Falchion that way is simply how the game is game mechanics again, because turns in general are). So yes, Marth steps a bit back, swings his sword specially and steps into the fight again (Or Thanos closed in)

I'll admit that I don't have any direct sources, but if all the stones need to be in the Binding Shield for it to become the Fire Emblem, taking one out would logically reverse that. There's also the fact that the spheres' effects don't take place when in the Fire Emblem (which is a shame, cause boy oh boy the Lifesphere is broken in the games)

I agree that the buff being minor is just game mechanics, though I think Marth would still be at stat disdvantage after its effects.

Anyway, the Starsphere isn't said to have any effect on the Darksphere (I'm using the FE wiki as a source.).

The Wiki doesn't say anything about the Lightsphere's effect on the Darksphere past being able to hurt its holders.

By the way, you said the Geosphere could be used by Marth, but it seems that it hurts every unit on the map, including its allies.

Thanos would realize that the "swings sword specially" is healing Marth and prevent him from doing that, even if it is how you describe it, it would take one or two seconds, which is a gap wide enough for the far more experienced Thanos to hit him, or maybe grapple him and prevent him from doing that. Hell, he could even take the Falchion away from him cause superior strength.

I'll admit that I don't have any direct sources, but if all the stones need to be in the Binding Shield for it to become the Fire Emblem, taking one out would logically reverse that. There's also the fact that the spheres' effects don't take place when in the Fire Emblem (which is a shame, cause boy oh boy the Lifesphere is broken in the games)

But no one talks about taking them out. The Binding Shield is powered by the Spheres and as such would logically have the abilitys of them (Or at least allows its user to use them manually).

Them not being useable in the shield is again game mechanics because youre not supposed to get a super unit that runs around with invulnerability, permanent stat amp, aoe damage and Regenerationn in one package. If nothing contradicts it in lore, its assumed that Marth can use them perfectly fine.

I agree that the buff being minor is just game mechanics, though I think Marth would still be at stat disdvantage after its effects.

Thats something i already aknowlegded. I stated that Marth can migate Thanos' advantage, not nullify. But a lesser than 2 times gap that is further even further closed via stat amps isnt that big of a deal anymore. You can beat up someone who is a little bit stronger than you too.

Anyway, the Starsphere isn't said to have any effect on the Darksphere (I'm using the FE wiki as a source.).

The Wiki doesn't say anything about the Lightsphere's effect on the Darksphere past being able to hurt its holders.

The Starsphere was used to nullify Imhullus invulnerability. Imhullu is crafted from the Darksphere:

Imhullu.

Both Light and Starsphere are stated to be the opposite of the Darksphere and you even said yourself that the Lighsphere is used to nullify the Darksphere lol.

By the way, you said the Geosphere could be used by Marth, but it seems that it hurts every unit on the map, including its allies.

Im pretty sure it dosnt damage its user. At least to my memory.

Thanos would realize that the "swings sword specially" is healing Marth and prevent him from doing that, even if it is how you describe it, it would take one or two seconds, which is a gap wide enough for the far more experienced Thanos to hit him, or maybe grapple him and prevent him from doing that. Hell, he could even take the Falchion away from him cause superior strength.

Thats something you cant just pull up against a seasoned swordsmen though, nothing stops Marth from just thrusting at Thanos' vital points after him trying to take it away. Youre opening yourself trying something dangerous like that.

How is this a stomp, even he says it's an incon at best for Marth lol

It's called a CRT in progress that will turn this into a stomp, hence the words "become" and "soon"

Back