• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Baldi Attack Power Revision

Jaften

Joke Battles
Content Moderator
Thread Moderator
At the moment, Baldi's attack power is justified with the following:

Wall level (Able to one-shot the player, who can survive getting rammed into a wall at high speed by 1st Prize and Gotta Sweep)

However, there's a problem with this assumption: Baldi is not shown actually attacking the player. He merely jumpscares them, sending them to a loading screen. If Baldi were portrayed as violent or bloodthirsty, or the ramifications of getting a problem incorrect was actually explicitly given (or even strongly implied), I wouldn't see a problem here; but to the best of my knowledge Baldi's only depicted as being especially strict and the only implication of punishment is that he's gonna smack the player with a ruler. As far as we know, he merely painfully smacks the player character with his ruler a few times upon catching them and they're otherwise completely fine, like school teachers used to do. That's not unreasonable as an assumption, is it?

While Wall level Baldi isn't unreasonable given the durability of the characters, I don't feel like it's well justified at this moment, since Baldi never actually attacks anything in the game except his own hand, but let's not even try to use that for an AP feat guys. Wait I actually ended up using a calc of the ruler slap as a low-end feat, disregard the former joke about it.

EDIT:

Jaften said:
To be honest, I would revise the current Baldi profile to say:

"At least Below Average Human level (Produces this much energy slapping a ruler against his palm), likely Wall level (Should be comparable to 1st Prize and Gotta Sweep, however he never actually attacks anything in the game)"

Does that look reasonable?
Additionally, The Player should probably be changed to "At least Below Average Human level, Wall level with BSoDA" since they also never attack anybody in the game (outside of using BSoDA).

but baldi is implied wanting to punish the player by giving them a spanking with the ruler which is why he does the little slap sound while inching closer to the player

"Spanking" is not "one-shotting", evidenced by the fact that many of us here who were likely spanked at some point in their childhood weren't knocked unconscious by the action, since "spanking" causes no serious damage, just some mild pain and soreness.

Yes, but I can "hurt" (in the sense of "causing pain") another ordinary human by flicking them in the forehead with my finger, which would definitely be classified as a Below Average Human level attack. I don't necessarily have to use a Human level attack to cause pain to a Human level individual.

As I said before, I don't have a problem with the idea of Baldi being Wall level, I have a problem with the current justificatio given for him being Wall level, since not only does he definitely not "one shot" the player in the game (he merely jumpscares them), there is no actually confirmation that he even attacks anyone in the game. It's more reasonable to assume he's merely going to spank them than beat the hell out of them, since it's a parody of horror game tropes and he's a teacher.

To be honest, I would revise the current Baldi profile to say:

"At least Below Average Human level (Produces this much energy slapping a ruler against his palm), likely Wall level (Should be comparable to the Player, 1st Prize, and Gotta Sweep, however he never actually attacks anything in the game)"

Does that look reasonable?

I would like more input on this before I attempt to make a change to the profile.

So, as a semi-joke-but-actually-kinda-serious calc, I will determine Baldi's attack potency using his ruler smack in game.

The average 12-inch wooden ruler weighs around 18.1437 grams (0.64 oz).

Baldi slaps his palm at 29.2168 m/s.

0.5 * (18.1437 g) * (29.2168 m/s)^2 = 7.7439 J, Below Average Human level

Yeah, doesn't seem like much, but a 7.7 joule slap from a ruler would probably sting like hell. To "test" this, I took a much lighter plastic ruler and slapped myself on the palm as fast as could, which was definitely not as fast as 29 m/s. It still stings a little even as I write this. Don't follow my example children. Considering how a moderately strong slap using a hand from the average adult human swung at much lower speeds stung as much as it did (I'm sure you all have not-so-fond memories of that feeling yourselves), I'm pretty sure a ruler swung at 29 m/s would reaaaaally hurt.

Back