• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Azathoth's flute

This is a small clarification, but important I think. Previously, the wiki discarded the fact that reality is Azathoth's dream. There is perhaps something here that could have made it higher. This:

Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play,
The idiot Chaos blew Earth’s dust away.
This is from Fungi of Yuggoth. Also this.
They danced insanely to the high, thin whining
Of a cracked flute clutched in a monstrous paw,
Whence flow the aimless waves whose chance combining
Gives each frail cosmos its eternal law.
Actually, there is nothing for Tier 1 to destroy Earth. But, from here it can be traced that the creation of things is somehow connected with this flute. I still assume that this flute is in the paws of Azathoth (although this is not very obvious). So, Azathoth creates things by this melody. This can give him a qualitative superiority over other Outer Gods, since they also turn out to be nothing more than his melody. It may be interesting.

The context makes it pretty clear that this is just one of the Outer Gods clutching a flute. Its very obviously not Azathoth.

As for the first part, that's Nyarlathotep from what I remember, not Azathoth.

The context makes it pretty clear that this is just one of the Outer Gods clutching a flute. Its very obviously not Azathoth.

As for the first part, that's Nyarlathotep from what I remember, not Azathoth.
Not at all. Not in the Fungi of Yuggoth. In other works "Nameless Paws".
Yip, Nyarlathotep visited Earth, but I never seen, that HPL calls him "idiot".

The flute is just a random outer god playing as said by others.

I'm pretty sure gods like Azzy can't even go to Earth last time I checked too.

TL;DR: the Flute and its owner would be rather high on the universal scale, at least, should the most literal interpretation be selected. However, the Court of Azathoth is also known as the infinite Other Gods or the Ultimate Gods, who are already Tier-1. So unless this is just given special mention on that page the current profiles should already cover this.

This is an interesting and rather common idea that (probably) doesn't work the way people think it does. The flute is played by one or more of the infinite, nameless gods of Azathoth's court, and is part of what keeps Azathoth permanently asleep. The bit about making eternal law by the chance combining of waves can be interpreted a couple of different ways, but I'll stick to the most popular/likely. Probably the most popular interpretation is that the waves of the flutes meet with the waves generated by Azathoth, either as part of its slumber or just an asset of his being, creating "eternal laws" that govern the cosmos by allowing the cosmos to continue existing, with the alternative being Azathoth waking up and instantly ending the universe/multiverse/everything. A more literal take might be that the waves of the flute are, themselves, essentially the foundation of physics that governs the order of the universe.

Personally, I think the answer lies in a different story: Through the Gates of the Silver Key. In that story, we learn that all levels of existence are simplifications of greater levels of existence created by the dissemination and intersection of superior archetypes, all the way to the Supreme Archetype, aka Yog-Sothoth. I believe that the music of the flutes described here is a part of this process, or perhaps something like a consequence of it. The music the flute makes is created by the intersection of archetypes, with each intersection point being a level of existence with its own governing laws. I think this works on a few levels: the combining of waves uses very similar language used to describe the archetypal hierarchy and it has a kind of poetic meaning that the sounds keeping Azathoth peacefully sleeping (or as close as a living singularity of pure chaos can be to "peaceful," anyway) are the very sounds of creation and existence, subduing Azathoth's most destructive qualities.

But how to interpret "chanced mould in play"? Who doing this, Nyarlathotep himself?
Short answer? Yes, it's (most likely) referring to Nyarlathotep. Long answer? Well, let's look at the whole passage instead of just those two lines without context:

And at the last from inner Egypt came
The strange dark One to whom the fellahs bowed;
Silent and lean and cryptically proud,
And wrapped in fabrics red as sunset flame.
Throngs pressed around, frantic for his commands,
But leaving, could not tell what they had heard;
While through the nations spread the awestruck word
That wild beasts followed him and licked his hands.

Soon from the sea a noxious birth began;
Forgotten lands with weedy spires of gold;
The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled
Down on the quaking citadels of man.
The idiot Chaos blew Earth’s dust away.
This references Nyarlathotep, R'lyeh, and idiot Chaos, the last of which is probably referring to Nyarlathotep, yes. Basically, this is describing Nyarlathotep as the herald of, and possibly the cause of, the end times when the Great Old Ones reawaken and Earth is ultimately destroyed. Nowhere does it indicate that this is happening because of a change to Azathoth's state. You have to consider that Nyarlathotep is both the messenger and soul of the Outer Gods, especially Azathoth whom he personally serves (despite being less than pleased with the situation). Nyarlathotep is also very well established as a bringer of ultimate annihilation, either on behalf of the Outer Gods or because of his own destructive whims. Nyarlathotep is the only Outer God that has personality characteristics humans can recognize and relate to; it's just that all those characteristics are negative. Nyarlathotep relishes giving lesser races knowledge they aren't ready for to set them up to destroy themselves. The most specific evidence it's talking about Nyarlathotep here is describing him as the proud "Dark Man," with that manifestation being Nyarlathotep's most well-known and commonly assumed form when dealing with humans.

In short, the only part that could be identified as Azathoth is the one bit about "idiot Chaos," which I argue doesn't refer to him so much as Nyarlathotep, who is confirmed to originate in and operate from Azathoth's Court in Ultimate Chaos.

Short answer? Yes, it's (most likely) referring to Nyarlathotep. Long answer? Well, let's look at the whole passage instead of just those two lines without context:

This references Nyarlathotep, R'lyeh, and idiot Chaos, the last of which is probably referring to Nyarlathotep, yes. Basically, this is describing Nyarlathotep as the herald of, and possibly the cause of, the end times when the Great Old Ones reawaken and Earth is ultimately destroyed. Nowhere does it indicate that this is happening because of a change to Azathoth's state. You have to consider that Nyarlathotep is both the messenger and soul of the Outer Gods, especially Azathoth whom he personally serves (despite being less than pleased with the situation). Nyarlathotep is also very well established as a bringer of ultimate annihilation, either on behalf of the Outer Gods or because of his own destructive whims. Nyarlathotep is the only Outer God that has personality characteristics humans can recognize and relate to; it's just that all those characteristics are negative. Nyarlathotep relishes giving lesser races knowledge they aren't ready for to set them up to destroy themselves. The most specific evidence it's talking about Nyarlathotep here is describing him as the proud "Dark Man," with that manifestation being Nyarlathotep's most well-known and commonly assumed form when dealing with humans.

In short, the only part that could be identified as Azathoth is the one bit about "idiot Chaos," which I argue doesn't refer to him so much as Nyarlathotep, who is confirmed to originate in and operate from Azathoth's Court in Ultimate Chaos.
Yes this "Idiot Chaos" passage. This words very very likely says about Azathoth. Insane God, who creates and destroys.

It's very obviously Nyarlathotep from the context. A single mention of "idiot Chaos" doesn't overturn that.

I'm pretty sure the world of H.P Lovecraft's stories being Azathoth's dream was proven to be a headcanon that people happened to believe as canon overtime. Like Elder God Demonbane, pretty much.

Yes this "Idiot Chaos" passage. This words very very likely says about Azathoth. Insane God, who creates and destroys.
I can definitely understand where that thought comes from, as "Idiot Chaos" is basically always referring to Azathoth. Here, it kind of is referring to Azathoth, but it's done to demonstrate that Azathoth and Nyarlathotep are connected at a base level. Nyarlathotep is Azathoth's messenger and soul, and can be thought of as a self-aware avatar of Azathoth's conscious mind.
Anyway, is there any point to this revision anymore?
I'm pretty sure we've covered everything. At most this would be a detail to put on Azathoth's page, specifically the flute bit, but honestly...unless we're giving Azathoth's Court its own page, I don't think there are any changes here.

It seems "Idiot" is a recurring description used for the Ultimate Void inhabitants in general. Here is every instance
It was the eldritch scurrying of those fiend-born rats, always questing for new horrors, and determined to lead me on even unto those grinning caverns of earth‘s centre where Nyarlathotep, the mad faceless god, howls blindly to the piping of two amorphous idiot fluteplayers. (The Rats in the Walls)

He thought of the ancient legends of Ultimate Chaos, at whose centre sprawls the blind idiot god Azathoth, Lord of All Things, encircled by his flopping horde of mindless and amorphous dancers, and lulled by the thin monotonous piping of a daemoniac flute held in nameless paws. (Haunter of the Dark)
The idiot Chaos blew Earth’s dust away. (Fungi from Yuggoth)
While near him shapeless bat-things flopped and fluttered
In idiot vortices that ray-streams fanned. (Fungi from Yuggoth)
It's even used for something more inanimate like "vortices". Same goes with Lovecraft saying everything in the Ultimate Void is "mindless", which is more used to hint at their chaotic and seemingly nonsensical actions.

Back