• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Avatar TLA: Earthbender Strength Increase?

"Earthbenders use the earth as their weapon. Extremely muscular, they use their own physical strength to power their attacks."

~Avatar The Last Airbender: The Lost Scrolls Collection

Significance of this? Any strength feats with earthbending count as physical strength feats.´╗┐

Also, when earthbendng, they thrust their fist out to propell giant rocks forwards. Since their bending is entirely variant on their physical strength, for example, if they thrust a 10 ton rock forward with earthbending, they can do it with a physical strike.

I feel like this could potentially upgrade striking strength for earthbenders in the verse and would definitely impact lifting strength for characters like King Bummi.

Nope

Their power is affected by their overall physical strength, that doesn't mean that whatever they can do with bending they can do it with their hands.They wouldn't need bending if that was true.

I dont think this would hold out because the strength feats in avatar are incredibly inconsistent. A huge example of this is Toph's Library feat. She could stop the library from sinking yet she couldnt break out of a wooden jail cell without Katara's help? Not only that but Toph has also been harmed by Chi Blockers before such as Ty Lee and she has no where near as much power or strength as Toph does when bending.

Kkapoios said:
Nope

Their power is affected by their overall physical strength, that doesn't mean that whatever they can do with bending they can do it with their hands.They wouldn't need bending if that was true.
The other bending attributes are ranged. Earthbending enhances their range, allowing them to use their ohysical strength more effectively and outside of H2H combat. It would be harder if they had to run head on into enemy firebending just to actually get the opponent.

FictionalBlade101 said:
I dont think this would hold out because the strength feats in avatar are incredibly inconsistent. A huge example of this is Toph's Library feat. She could stop the library from sinking yet she couldnt break out of a wooden jail cell without Katara's help? Not only that but Toph has also been harmed by Chi Blockers before such as Ty Lee and she has no where near as much power or strength as Toph does when bending.
She would likely use striking strength to destroy the wooden cell, which she also would likely have not had. When I mean she can move an object with beneing, I mean just that. The speed it moves at and the damage it does depends on the speed she hits the rock at and the weight of it.

Regarding Chi Blocking, it weakens everyone. If you remember, Sokka couldn't use his arms when he got his chi blocked in those areas

Chi Blocking hits on vital points, and this kind of thing generally seems to somewhat ignore durability in most fiction I see.

Anyway, I don't agree with this. That would make Toph and random earthbending soldiers casual multi tonners. Which sounds rather wrong, really.

Unless they showed any strenght feats outside of bending, this doesn't make much sense.

Well, it does seem to be heavily variant on strength.

If you remember in Aang vs Bumi, Bumi used earthbending to through a giant rock part of a wall at Aang. We see him struggling as if he was actually lifting it. So the show itself supports at least the lifting strength part

Good point but in Avatar specifically even though they are hitting vital points, at the same time, they are also still striking your body to hit said chi points. Its not like Gentle Fist where chakra is blasted straight into you to hit the chakra points chi blocking is just pure strength being hit in specific parts of the body.

Back