• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aura and Fear Manip clarifications

Bobsican

He/Him
Okay, so it has been noticed that currently we give Aura to vague "energy" surrounding a character having an effect that actually isn't really out of the ordinary, with such "energy" being nothing more than a simple artistical emphasis that shouldn't be taken as an "actual" power.

Regarding Fear Manipulation, Fear Hax based on just "looking scary", including transformations and illusions, shouldn't qualify for the power, that would be like giving someone with Social Influencing Empathic Manip just because it "manipulates" the emotions, except not on a "direct" way.

In other words, I would like to add a note over such power pages a clarification over how having "energy surrounding" without further context backing it up is a no for Aura, and looking scary or simply making someone have fear by means not related to the "mind" don't qualify for Fear Manip.

Last edited:
Those type of moments fits social influencing.

Emphatic manip still requires interaction with fellings or emotions.

While fear manip is done by supernatural means.

Anyways, case by case is always good.

Aura is generally interpreted in two way: either the character surround itself with some kind of force or energy, or it has passive hax within an aoe (although both forms may stack). If surrounding in energy its too vague to qualify as a power (like, no different than energy manip), then I guess one may change its definition to fit with the passive aoe hax concept.

We no longer consider being scary and intimidating as fear manip. As, fear manip by itself is a subset of empathic manip, so we very well could apply the same that we did with willpower manip.

I can agree with a minimal requirement for someone to get Aura listed is for it to do something more than visuals, even air manip would be enought.
The page also should have its "Types" changed into just "Possible Uses" as it's not a power that actually is divided into types for the purpose of profiles.

And it seems the Fear Manip stuff got covered long ago, lol, so one thing less to talk about i guess.

Aura is generally interpreted in two way: either the character surround itself with some kind of force or energy, or it has passive hax within an aoe (although both forms may stack). If surrounding in energy its too vague to qualify as a power (like, no different than energy manip), then I guess one may change its definition to fit with the passive aoe hax concept.

We no longer consider being scary and intimidating as fear manip. As, fear manip by itself is a subset of empathic manip, so we very well could apply the same that we did with willpower manip.
Pokemon may need some editing then.

Eh, in Pokémon it's not a simple natural thing, if you're talking about the Intimidate ability.

It's a kind of feature certain Pokémon have, but it's not related to physical appearance or the like as it can be passed in ways that don't carry that (the appearance) to begin with, with certain moves (In fact, Zoroark doesn't inherit the effect if it makes an illusion of the Pokémon with that ability, showing that it isn't bound to appearance). Hence why it fits in the "supernatural" and not just looking scary to get the effect. We do even see in the anime the usage of this ability also causing the user of it to have some aura around it.

It's a kind of feature certain Pokémon have, but it's not related to physical appearance or the like as it can be passed in ways that don't carry that (the appearance) to begin with, with certain moves (In fact, Zoroark doesn't inherit the effect if it makes an illusion of the Pokémon with that ability, showing that it isn't bound to appearance). Hence why it fits in the "supernatural" and not just looking scary to get the effect. We do even see in the anime the usage of this ability also causing the user of it to have some aura around it.
I don't agree that, that isn't natural but I see your overall point that it's a specific ability clearly able to be replicated using some form of energy system.

It's natural in the sense that certain Pokémon are just born with it, like any other Ability, but beyond that it's supernatural, yeah.

Perhaps we should add another ability for monster forms/ looking scary (like with Size Manip and Large Size) or give a different Type to such cases?

I'm curious. Would an RPG where an enemy or character can use an item that causes opponents to flee via fright still count as fear manip?

Perhaps we should add another ability for monster forms/ looking scary (like with Size Manip and Large Size) or give a different Type to such cases?
It seems it's treated as Social Influencing, but TBH it doesn't fit for cases where it's not just done "verbally" when it involves stuff like size manip and probably Illusion Creation. Maybe we could separate the power into types for non-mindhax-based inducement and the mind-hax one.

Back