• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ash vs. Red: True Final Battle for World Champion! (5-0-0)

Question popped in my head after watching the last bits of the anime. Surprised this hasn’t been done yet.

Ash’s Journey Team

Red’s Gen 7 Team

Speed Equalized

Fight takes place at the Master’s 8 Tournament

Both have some knowledge of the others team (as far as having seen the other fight through the tournament)

All gimmicks allowed. Red can use all Mega’s.

Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town

vs.

Red from Pallet Town

Age-old Pokémon debate finally settled. Who deserves to be world champ?

TEAMS
Ash:

Pikachu (Gigantamax and Z-Move - Electric)
Moves: Thunderbolt (can be amped by Ash and Pikachu’s bond to go past their limits), Iron Tail, Quick Attack, Electroweb, [Counter Shield]

Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)
Moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Hurricane, Draco Meteor

Gengar (Gigantamax- Ghost/Poison)
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Will-O-Wisp

Lucario (Mega-Fighting/Steel)
Moves: Bullet Punch, Reversal, Double Team, Aura Sphere (can be amped by Ash’s Aura to become stronger)

Sirfetch’d (Fighting)
Moves: Brutal Swing, Fury Cutter, Meteor Assault, Detect

Dracovish (Dragon/Water)
Moves: Water Gun, Ice Fang, Fishious Rend, Dragon Rush

Red:

Pikachu (Electric)
Moves: Volt Tackle, Quick Attack, Light Screen, Nuzzle

Charizard (Fire/Flying) (Mega-Fire/Dragon)
Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Fire Blast, Air Slash, Focus Blast

Blastoise (Mega-Water)
Moves: Hydro Pump, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse

Venusaur (Mega-Grass/Poison)
Moves: Bulldoze, Leech Seed, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb

Snorlax (Normal)
Moves: Crunch, Heavy Slam, High Horsepower, Body Slam

Lapras (Water/Ice)
Moves: Surf, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Psychic

VOTES:
Ash: 5 (CloverDragon03, Fezzih_007, Ret_of_Guys, MintyBoi1, Undylan)

Red:

Draw:

Last edited:
Ash seems stronger, being > Leon > Cynthia = creation pokemon, while red is = S/m protag = creation Pokémon.

Think Elio/Selene should scale above the CT, since they defeated Cyrus, who commands both Dialga and Palkia
True, but in the same vein, they defeated Red. So he would scale to Cyrus not exactly above, which is also where Ash is scaling.

They should be very equal in terms of AP. If there is a gap from either side, it’s not incredibly high and is based more on “x managed to beat y” than something that would make one inherently weaker than the other.

So he would scale to Cyrus not exactly above, which is also where Ash is scaling.
He does with mega
But how is mega comparable to dynamax?

Excluding this, Red is for sure less reckless and more experient than Ash so... by this standard he'd take it, the problem is really in the question above

He does with mega
But how is mega comparable to dynamax?

Excluding this, Red is for sure less reckless and more experient than Ash so... by this standard he'd take it, the problem is really in the question above
Dynamax and mega seem comparable enough to not much matter. A mega can beat a dynamax and a dynamax can beat a mega. Like Ash’s Lucario which beat Cynthia’s Dynamax Togekiss. Pikachu seems outlier to this as whether it’s Dynamax or Z-Move, it kinda deletes whatever is in front of it. Ash’s Z-Move in particular seems to be way higher in power than anything else since it’s directly fueled by his and Pikachu’s bond. Same goes with his Mega Lucario and Ash’s Aura making it stronger when they connect.

Recklessness has also led Ash to many victories, specifically against experienced enemies. And I’d definitely hesitate to say Red has been through as many gauntlets, quests, adventures and challenging fights as Ash despite the age gap. His unorthodox fighting style and intelligence is why he has gotten where he is after all, so this isn’t a simple age gap win given Ash’s skill has outpaced that innumerable times in the past.

Also in case people don’t know, the teams are:

Ash:

Pikachu (Gigantamax and Z-Move - Electric)
Moves: Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Quick Attack, Electroweb

Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)
Moves: Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Hurricane, Draco Meteor

Gengar (Gigantamax- Ghost/Poison)
Moves: Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Dazzling Gleam, Will-O-Wisp

Lucario (Mega-Fighting/Steel)
Moves: Bullet Punch, Reversal, Double Team, Aura Sphere (can be amped by Ash’s Aura to become stronger)

Sirfetch’d (Fighting)
Moves: Brutal Swing, Fury Cutter, Meteor Assault, Detect

Dracovish (Dragon/Water)
Moves: Water Gun, Ice Fang, Fishious Rend, Dragon Rush

Red:

Pikachu (Electric)
Moves: Volt Tackle, Quick Attack, Light Screen, Nuzzle

Charizard (Fire/Flying) (Mega-Fire/Dragon)
Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Fire Blast, Air Slash, Focus Blast

Blastoise (Mega-Water)
Moves: Hydro Pump, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse

Venusaur (Mega-Grass/Poison)
Moves: Bulldoze, Leech Seed, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb

Snorlax (Normal)
Moves: Crunch, Heavy Slam, High Horsepower, Body Slam

Lapras (Water/Ice)
Moves: Surf, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Psychic

Adding to OP

Last edited:
idk, gamewise Red'd win and i hope very much he can win this lmao
don't know pokémon outside of the usual games so i don't think i can say much around here

Ash has much better versatility with all the gimmicks he’s got access to, plus the fact that he’s known for his out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to battling. He might also have better scaling but I’m not too sure about that one. Even still, I think Ash takes this much more often than not, so I’m voting Ash

Pokémon masters states that Red is the strongest trainer in history, and the game has Ash, so Red is stronger
Well that doesn't even work because Ash seems to tie with the player in battle and the player is able to defeat Red. Ash's prowess even impresses Red (though the two never fought in Masters sadly)

Well that doesn't even work because Ash seems to tie with the player in battle and the player is able to defeat Red. Ash's prowess even impresses Red (though the two never fought in Masters sadly)
Well, strongest doesn't necessarily mean unbeatable. iirc, the only reason the player won is through the power of friendship or something.

Either way, not on the profiles, so it's unusable for the matchup anyhow

Since you said all gimmicks allowed, do Red’s pokemon have their alternate movesets?

Also, what stops Red from spamming full restores

Last edited:
Since you said all gimmicks allowed, do Red’s pokemon have their alternate movesets?
That’s not a gimmick so no
Also, what stops Red from spamming full restores
Y’all really want Red to win

I don’t believe Full Restores come up in VS matches between Trainers. Though in Red’s case, he has a few. Factoring those in, that’s a potential win-con - but Ash’s Pokémon have really good stamina (particularly his Pikachu)
Oh yeah, and Red's pikachu is buffed by his item
50% boost yeah, but Ash’s Pikachu has its Z-Move… which is literally so strong that it bypassed Electivire’s Motor Drive ability (which gives it immunity to Electric-type moves) and defeated it

Also Ash actually very much has the better scaling chain:

Red’s is: Red ~ Elio/Selene > Cyrus ~ Dialga/Palkia

Ash’s is: Ash > Leon > Cynthia ~ Dialga/Palkia

And in addition, I believe in Red’s case, Dialga/Palkia was in a Poké Ball (which somewhat limits it if I’m not mistaken)

Also Ash actually very much has the better scaling chain:

Red’s is: Red ~ Elio/Selene > Cyrus ~ Dialga/Palkia

Ash’s is: Ash > Leon > Cynthia ~ Dialga/Palkia

And in addition, I believe in Red’s case, Dialga/Palkia was in a Poké Ball (which somewhat limits it if I’m not mistaken)
Would Ash really scale above Leon? Maybe with Pikachu’s final thunderbolt, but he was on the verge of losing before Pikachu had his whole “power of friendship” moment.

I’d say It’s more like Leon ~ Ash < Pikachu Friendship Thunderbolt or something

Probably yeah, though I don’t think Pikachu was amped there, it was just using everything it had left

Okay but Ash’s combat intelligence is such that an advanced supercomputer was completely unable to comprehend it

So like… I think this is kind of a case of quality vs. quantity. Red’s been a trainer for longer, but Ash still ends up with the better intelligence/skill feats

Back