• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Armorchompy Revises Random Old Games Pt. 9 - Marathon

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
And so soon after the last one!

Marathon is a trilogy of FPS games released in 1994-1995-1996 by Bungie, the people who would go on to make Halo and Destiny. Despite being what at the time was just called a "Doom clone", Marathon carves a niche for itself: while the gameplay is similar to other FPS games of the time, if with some innovation (It's one of the absolute first games with reloading and is tied for the first FPS with dual-wielding with Rise of the Triad, which came out the same day), the story is very unique.

You would honestly not believe how deep the lore rabbit hole goes, there's a 27-year old fan site dedicated to studying the lore that's still active and they're still finding new stuff to this day, it's honestly astounding. Even just the first game pulls off a "Would you kindly" but instead of just showing you it's hidden behind like 5 completely unrelated hidden terminals that you need to figure out are all hinting at different parts of the same thing. and I feel like most first-time players, myself included, would just miss it entirely. And that's the tip of the iceberg!

A lot of Marathon lore would actually be carried over into Halo and Destiny, to the point that there is a shockingly convincing theory that Master Chief is the reincarnation of Marathon's protagonist. The series might also be taking place in the same multiverse as Destiny but... no, no I'm not touching that. I'm not touching that.

If you're interested in playing a Bungie shooter that lets you carry more than two guns and doesn't seek to consume your money and soul, then good news! The entire Marathon trilogy is free, legally, and I think it's well worth getting into. You'll have to do some messing with the options to make the mouse speed not feel completely off and some of the levels in the first one are very labyrinthine but if you can stomach that, they're pretty fun, especially if you take the time to dive deep into the lore.

I suppose I should tackle a few things about the Security Officer profile (Or Mjolnir Recon Number 54 as I'm going to rename it), mainly the lack of the third key. Well, basically its powers have been rolled up in the previous two keys and the tier stuff isn't really... real, he does survive the Big Crunch in some way but it's not really a durability thing, more of an AE-related thing. It's all very abstract and unclear so I'm open to second opinions but to people who don't the lore it'll probably be pretty inscrutable. Anyhow,

Old, stinky profile

New, awesome profiles (some of them are still WIP but they'll be made with time)

Last edited:
Yeah this updated profile looks pretty good, the downgrade is real tho. As you know I'm new to the series (thanks for the recommendation) so I can't give opinions on the big stuff but at the very least the profile is structured really well and has a good anount of references to back everything up

Class K with Battle Armor (Capable of tearing out spines of aliens[27], likely Pfhor or S'pht, who are much more durable than normal humans)
I don't like this Class K rating as a solid figure. Since we have no indication how it was done or how quickly it was done. There's way of removing spines that will not grant you Class K and for all we know he might have just picked it up.

Other than that everything else looks good to me.

I agree with Qawsed on that point. It may have just been severed or clawed off rather than straight up pulled off Mortal Kombat/Predator style. But I think possibly Class K seems okay given the image might be a reference to Alien Vs Predator.

I don't like this Class K rating as a solid figure. Since we have no indication how it was done or how quickly it was done. There's way of removing spines that will not grant you Class K and for all we know he might have just picked it up.

Other than that everything else looks good to me.
I definitely doubt a neatly torn out spine just happened to be laying there, but fair point that it might have been done in a non Class K way, or maybe over a little bit of time which would lower the results. I'll do possibly.

Last edited:

Heat as well

Extrasensory Perception (The Motion Sensor detects moving bodies with 15 meters of range from the wearer[1]. It can separate familiar motion patterns from unknown ones, allowing it to point out aliens and other hostiles from friendlies. However, if one stands perfectly still, they will not be picked up by the sensor)

This is enhanced senses

Information Analysis and Precognition (As a fellow, possibly much more advanced Rampant intelligence who also has downloaded[22] Durandal's patterns in his mind[15], the cyborg should be capable of replicating his feats of predicting every single event in the events of Marathon down to the minute detail and was the one to have set them in motion, and "deciphering the chaotic motion of gas molecules in the clouds of Tau Ceti IV"[23] down to every single atom of them[18])

This should also be enhanced senses

Back