• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Armorchompy Revises Random Old Games Pt. 11 - Viewtiful Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Howdy folks, today I'll be revising Viewtiful Joe, a game series by Clover Studio (At the time Team Viewtiful), a development studio whose tragically short life is in my opinion the primary and unbeatable proof of the inherently hateful, evil and uncaring nature of the sad cold universe we live in. You may know Clover from Okami, and you probably won't know them from God Hand, but I assure you that those were both bangers. As was Viewtiful Joe, I'd say, though probably my least favorite among the three games, due to no particular fault of its own.

I'm actually a bit surprised to see myself revising Joe first, given I started to work on Okami a long while ago, but that's gone pretty slowly and while I'm mostly done, even the DS spinoff is a massive game. Anyways, let's get to the results. Here's the profiles, here's the calcs.

You may notice downgrades compared to current ratings, which rate the characters as 4-A/3-A based on "Defeated Jet Black, who easily defeated King Blue and absorbed his power. Blue created all of Movieland, which is the realm composed of all the different movies he directed and performed in his lifetime, including countless stars and deep space. At the time of his defeat, Black was empowered by all seven Rainbow Oscars as well as the Black Film, making him even stronger than Blue". This isn't untrue, in the sense that Blue did create Movieland... by shooting the movies themselves, as a director, same way one would IRL. It's not really explained why this creates a universe (VJ is about as far as you can get from a lore-heavy verse while still having a story), but regardless, it isn't related to his actual powers, which he just kinda... got one day. They don't explain that either, but he doesn't have any special power over Movieland, he's just a very strong dude. So, no creation scaling. As for MFTL, that's downgraded because of the weird context regarding scale in the Dark Kaiser fight, which I elaborate upon in the calc blog.

Also, to note, this is only indexing the three canon games, VJ1, VJ2 and VJ Double Trouble. The fourth game, Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble is part of the anime continuity, which I have no particular interest in researching RN, and know very little about.

I am neutral for now, The reasons admittedly make sense, but I just feel bad dissing something Reppuzan (AKA one of the best Admins we ever had) worked so hard on. Though he has admittedly been inactive for years.

?

This is kinda blatantly biased reasoning, no?

Either way, revision's fine.
I'm not saying his word is absolute. But I have every right to miss him; almost every former staff and current staff who knew him well miss him. I can say the same thing about Kavpeny, Azathoth, AssaltWaffle, Kaltias, ThePerpetual, Ogurtsow, Dino Ranger Black and many others. No need to yell at someone for harmlessly missing some otherwise really great former staff.

Furhermore, I said I was neutral but saying this is looking good. I suppose I am leaning towards this being alright as the feat/statement is still admittedly vague and there is not UES scaling evidence by the looks of it.

But after taking time to read it over in more details, I think the revised profiles do look good in general.

Real question I ask is why is Dante (Devil May Cry) a key when this doesn't have anything to do with DMC or Dante?

Nvm then, anyway.

As I said, I still am overall giving this an approval despite me missing "The old guard" as Cal has put it before.

alrighto, will apply in a couple days if nobody disagrees

No, I'm still very slowly going through an Okamiden LP (very slowly because I don't like Okamiden very much). If anyone's curious here's the (unorganized and not final) sandbox

The nostalgia of me playing this game when I was young.

61GJ5W67RQL.jpg

Yeah, I'll close.

DDM, could I ask you to add VJ Dante to the navbox? It's locked

I forgot how to search for Navigation Boxes tbh, but I can once I remember.

Edit: nevermind. I search Template: Dante. Anyway, topic concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back