• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Akagi seems like he'd be much better at exploiting cheats than my uncle. He also is much better at handling pressure. So Akagi has my vote.

is akagi also a master at poker ?

but to be real , even if he is not , with his mentality and genius , i don't see him lose to D'arby ,especially if D'arby doesn't have his goons and the field advantage.

i vote Akagi for Cal reasons .

From what I know Akagi hasn't played poker in the Ten manga, but he'd probably be able to pick it up just fine.

Akagi pulls a DBZA announcer bet and wins a lot of money easily for the reasons stated above.

The real cal howard said:
I mean if Jotaro could
Jotaro couldnt though. He just bluffed his way to victory and almost failed as D'Arby was going to call.

>He also is much better at handling pressure.

I'd like to remind you that D'Arby was actually going to call Jotaro's bluff till he brought up Dio. He was doig fine under the pressure it was only when the bets started to involve Dio that he went from collected to litterally aged ten years in half a minute. I doubt Dio is gonna be mentioned and in such a way that D'Arby could end up dying from it.

Don't know if that changes anything but those two points arent inherently true.

Akagi is the kind of person to put his and his opponent's life on the line, without hesitation. And he is kinda definitely better at handling pressure, given that Akagi is completely unaffected by playing a 12-hour game in which one mistake could mean instant death.

I could give D'Arby prep, if anyone thinks that'd be more fair.

I think prep should probably be given to D'Arby. Akagi outclasses D'Arby in pretty much every single category.

It's not that D'Arby's life was on the line, it already was on the line and his life was threatened mutiple times, he was like lol k...

It's just that D'Arby is scared shitless of Dio specifically, the moment Dio was brought in things changed, and Dio just kinda has that effect, he absolutely terrified Avdol by a chance encounter to the point he screamed an made Kakyoin so scared he could feel vomit coming up, it goes doubly so for D'Arby, someone who has shit on Dio.

Also you said a simple game of poker. Not death match poker so...

I'm just saying, Akagi definitely handles pressure better.

I didn't say he didn't. I'm just saying that D'Arby was being misinitepreted. Him losing his shit wasnt a feat against him acting under pressure it was just another feat for Dio being absolutely terrifying.

And the only types of pressure that D'Arby would be put under in this match he's shown to be completely fine with.

I dunno if that's true, Akagi turns every gamble he's in into a torturous psychological nightmare.

Nice. This makes it a little more fair.

Well even if it's one day D'Arby would probably have the time hire at someone to deal the cards for him so that he can cheat. He is also pretty good at cheating and spotting cheaters himself. Although he does have a pretty big weakness like we saw vs Jotaro, he can't handle the pressure very well, even if you attribute this to "he's just scared of Dio" it's still a pretty big flaw when facing someone like Akagi.

Now Akagi is practically emotionless, most of the time, the only thing he lives for is gambling on high stakes. This is a guy, who at 13 years old, played a "game" of "who can get out of the car last before we drive off a cliff", with the intent to never exit the car in the first place and to crash in the water. He doesn't care about petty meaningless games with nothing on the line, and will most definitely raise the stakes to, probably, life threatening bets. And he's no stranger to playing dirty if he wants/needs to. In his mahjong game versus Ishikawa, who is a blind master mahjong player but incredible hearing senses, managed to pull a move so outrageous he completely broke Ishikawa spirit, and practically left him a vegetable. The whole game he manipulated Ishikawa by throwing away a Haku tile making Ishikawa think he didn't have any, which would normally be a game throwing move, at the beginning of the match, to force him to cheat in order to switch a tile in his own favor, but in doing so he ended up switching it with Akagai's winning tile (As I can't find a video of the match, I strongly recommend to watch the whole thing, it's episode 7).

So after a long poker match, D'Arby will probably give him as much a hard time as Ishikawa did, but Akagi ends up on top most of the time.

But like how? The only thing D'Arby is shown susceptible to is things relating to Dio, other things, even things on his life doesnt shack his resolve that much.

The closest was when he thought Star Platinum rigged the deck somehow with superspeed and even hinted at oh shit it's the same as Dio.

Akagi can't exactly bluff him to that point because he doesnt have a mftl stand that can magic him drinks and cigs so fast his opponent deduced that he straight up reordered his entire hand through superspeed. And D'Arby still saw through it and was gonna call the bluff till Dio was mentioned.

Things like physical harm he takes just fine and even accepts it as a reminder not to get overconfident and underestimate. I don't even think Akagi can turn it into a match like that which would have detrimental effects to D'Arby's mental state without knowing things about him already, not in a blind match.

Oh, yeah, the match is life-threatening from the beginning because of Osiris and soul betting.

"I don't even think Akagi can turn it into a match like that which would have detrimental effects to D'Arby's mental state without knowing things about him already"

Akagi perfectly read someone he was playing against in two turns, to the point that he was able to manipulate and predict the exact tile the guy would play at the end of the game.

That aint really just a game of poker then.

And Akagi can't exactly see stands or is aware of it or that it's gonna soul hax him, Osiris being a thing wouldnt effect anything, at least not as Akagi would be aware of.

>Akagi perfectly read someone he was playing against in two turns, to the point that he was able to manipulate and predict the exact tile the guy would play at the end of the game.

That's pretty good but did Akagi have any prior info on him? Like even just hearing about him. But you bringing up Osiris brings up another point. How is Akagi gonna stop his Stand from rigging things? Like mid match.

Chariot190 said:
>only shown things relating to Dio That's not even completely true, considering his soul, and live, would've been forfeit regardless of Dio. He lost his cool when he didn't have control over the game, he lost his mind with the thought of Jotaro not following his script. No matter how much you try and attribute that to purely "it's just Dio" that's not really true.

And Akagi is a master at psychological warfare. He made a psychopath, who ruthlessly murders kids, practically shit his pants. And he's done that versus opponent his ever faced, he left them mentally scarred for life. So he doesn't need to know things about him prior.

>That's not even completely true, considering his soul, and live, would've been forfeit regardless of Dio. He lost his cool when he didn't have control over the game, he lost his mind with the thought of Jotaro not following his script. No matter how much you try and attribute that to purely "it's just Dio" that's not really true.

And D'Arby came back from that and was going to call his bluff and win. He didnt lose his mind he was like wtf how is he so confident unless he managed to rig everything, which Jotaro only supported by doing hings like lighting his cig and grabbing a drink at speeds Darby couldnt properly percieve, Darby was worried that Jotaro somehow used his mftl speed to straight up reorder the entire deck in fron of his eyes in spite of Darbys own rigging, and in the end he steeled himself again and saw through it. It was a temporary hiccup due to something Akagi litterally can never do due to him being human.

He only lost his mind at the prospect of betraying Dio.

Of course I'm not doubting Akagi is way better under pressure and may even be capable of doing something. I just dont see how that helps with the invisible ghost and the dude who only got shook when a mftl potentially straight up lol noped and reordered the entire deck in front of him.

And the only time he lost his shit was with Dio, prior to that the prospect of death wasnt shaking him.

You're just proving my point. He lost his cool because he wasn't in control, because he thought he let Jotaro rig the game. And if Jotaro had one he would've been dead regardless of Dio. So, again, saying "it was just Dio" is pretty disingenuous.

>something Akagi litterally can never do due to him being human

Except Akagi has done far more crazy things. Since mahjong is a incredibly complex game, and the thing he pulled is so insanely elaborate I would again recommend to watch the episode, but I'll try my best to explain.

Akagi basically made Ishikawa think that Akagi has a certain amount of certain combination of tiles, which would make him switch the tiles on a specific turn, in a specific way, with a specific tile which would perfectly fall in line with Akagi's hand which would lead to his victory. And keep in mind mahjong is a game where each player has 14 tiles.

>You're just proving my point. He lost his cool because he wasn't in control, because he thought he let Jotaro rig the game. And if Jotaro had one he would've been dead regardless of Dio. So, again, saying "it was just Dio" is pretty disingenuous.

And that was only a minor hiccup through something Akagi has absolutely no way of replicating. It wasnt that he lost control, it's that he thought Jotaro straight up mftl'd winning cards into his hand giving him an autowin, and he recollected himself after thinking about it. And exactly, he wouldve probably died if Jotaro did win, and that thought didn't shake him in the slightest, it was only Dio that made him go fro 0-11 in an instant.

Is that dude not blind? Didnt hus bluff require exploiting that and sounds? And uh, nothing is stopping Darby from using his stand to look at his opponents hand... You cant bluff Darby in normal circumstances. He can just kinda look.

>only a minor hiccup

Except it wasn't..... D'Arby literally had a heart attack, didn't even say anything and his stand took his soul because in his own heart he admitted defeat.

Minor hiccup.. right... totally.

>Is that dude not blind? Didnt hus bluff require exploiting that and sounds?

No. It didn't require exploiting sounds at all, just psychological warfare.

>And uh, nothing is stopping Darby from using his stand to look at his opponents hand... You cant bluff Darby in normal circumstances.

And this is useless. Akagi literally cheated by making the opponent cheat, played a game of mahjong with transparent tiles (yes the opponent could see his hand) and always wins on psychologically breaking his opponents.

>something Akagi litterally can never do due to him being human

I didnt deny he had good feats but what I said was he cant exactly perform the same bluff Jotaro did because he aint mftl and capable of blitzing.

I figured it went without saying that Osiris was active here, but even if Akagi can't see it D'Arby has to ask him to bet his soul, something that would probably get Akagi's attention.

Akagi reading Urabe was the first time he'd ever met the guy. He also read and manipulated Washizu, who is much better than Urabe (and also super, insanely lucky), to the point that Akagi was basically making Washizu's decisions for him.

Not to mention the soul betting would turn Akagi on even more. He would probably try to bet double soul or something.

>Except it wasn't..... D'Arby literally had a heart attack, didn't even say anything and his stand took his soul because in his own heart he admitted defeat.

He didnt have a heart attack and that wasnt over Jotaro bluffing, he straight up was going to call the bluff and steeled himself and saw through Jotaro's bullshit. What did make him do what youre thinking of was entirely Dio. If we're talking of being disingenious you shouldnt say something happened when said thing was over something else entirely.

>No. It didn't require exploiting sounds at all, just psychological warfare

Im going off the profile, probably a different character then. Fair enough.

>And this is useless. Akagi literally cheated by making the opponent cheat, played a game of mahjong with transparent tiles (yes the opponent could see his hand) and always wins on psychologically breaking his opponents

How is Darby being able to see Akagi's hand at all times when he shouldnt and Akagi knows that he shouldnt be useless? And that's a game specific thing he did, that doesnt translate well into poker, if Darby knows all the cards in play and what Akag has, well he knows what's gonna win and what doesnt.

Promestein said:
I figured it went without saying that Osiris was active here, but even if Akagi can't see it D'Arby has to ask him to bet his soul, something that would probably get Akagi's attention.
Akagi reading Urabe was the first time he'd ever met the guy. He also read and manipulated Washizu, who is much better than Urabe (and also super, insanely lucky), to the point that Akagi was basically making Washizu's decisions for him.
But like, how is Darby saying something that can be taken as jest or delusion gonna convince Akagi that its very literal? Akagi has no reason to think that.

Because Akagi is that kind of person. Akagi is a total ******* freak.

Akagi also played against someone with insane, obviously supernatural luck, and who died, went to Hell, and came back midgame. I think he can believe his soul is really on the line.

Now I'm not saying Akagi wouldnt be able to manipulate Darby, the issue though, nothing is actually just stopping Darby from looking at his hand and going ah ok.

I don't think D'Arby can see through Osiris, it's an Automatic Stand and Polnareff couldn't see through Silver Chariot when he fought Devo

>He didnt have a heart attack and that wasnt over Jotaro bluffing, he straight up was going to call the bluff and steeled himself and saw through Jotaro's bullshit. What did make him do what youre thinking of was entirely Dio. If we're talking of being disingenious you shouldnt say something happened when said thing was over something else entirely.

He literally didn't say anything fainted on the table, hair turned white and his stand released the souls because D'Arby himself admitted defeat mentally

>How is Darby being able to see Akagi's hand at all times when he shouldnt and Akagi knows that he shouldnt be useless? And that's a game specific thing he did, that doesnt translate well into poker, if Darby knows all the cards in play and what Akag has, well he knows what's gonna win and what doesnt.

No. I said Akagi has already played, and won, a game in which his opponent could see his hand.

Back