• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Addition to the reactions page

If characters don't move actually move at all, then snail speed can't be used. They wouldn't have any apparent speed as they wouldn't be moving.
Oh yeah, they need to be shown as frozen mid-movement. Otherwise it's a bust.

Ok this makes sense.

What about characters that couldn’t even react or move at all, as Damage brought up they aren’t moving. But to react to someone you need to perceive them and then have the signals reach your brain, decide upon an action, and have the signals reach your limbs to move. So how would we treat the case in which a character can’t react at all, or can’t perceive a character at all?
That's problematic, since we no longer allow usage of perception values as speed, reactions require both a timeframe and distance component now.

That's problematic, since we no longer allow usage of perception values as speed, reactions require both a timeframe and distance component now.
So now we have arrived back at the issue at which I, KT, and Clover have been addressing. Getting reaction time frames from stated speeds. Using the example I’ve repetitively given.

So now we have arrived back at the issue at which I, KT, and Clover have been addressing. Getting reaction time frames from stated speeds. Using the example I’ve repetitively given.
With which comes another problem.

While the arm assumption isn't too drastic of an assumption, it's not as if characters will just use their arms all the time, weaving, bobbing and ducking also exist, the former two of which are even harder to measure given that not all humans and not all body parts are built the same with the exact consistent length.

Ducking is the more reliable but even then there's no guarantee that the character will duck below their crotch level or up to their knee, it's common in fiction to just head bob or bend slightly backwards to get out of the way of an attack.

It kinda eventually ends up suffering from the same issues as trying to standardize these types of attacks for the References for Common Feats page. Too many variables to work with.

While the arm assumption isn't too drastic of an assumption, it's not as if characters will just use their arms all the time, weaving, bobbing and ducking also exist, the former two of which are even harder to measure given that not all humans and not all body parts are built the same with the exact consistent length.
Hence why I proposed a 1 m assumption, since that would lowball the time frame.

To make things absolutely clear, @KLOL506, when you talk about using that slow-mo formula for feats of blitzing, does that require a stated speed, or no?

Once again, not my formula, it's Clover's.

But aye, it can be used in almost any scenario. In live action scenarios tho, the apparent speed would be worth 1px movement during the amount of dilated timeframe (But the images need to be high-quality from the original source).
My bad then.

Understable.

Back