• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adding the Standard Format for Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
STAFF ONLY!

Above sandbox contains a proposal for the Standard Format for Team Profiles, and I am proposing this because teams in actuality represent a VERY CRUCIAL aspect of combat-related verses, and even versus debating, since the idea of a team of superhumans coming together against opposition has been an enduring feature of stories, be it comics, manga, movies, television, or video games.

In addition to this, teams themselves can possess various common resources or collaborative power boosts, latter actually being a prominent part of sentai and magical girl media pieces. These will be better illustrated on these files.

And finally, the most important part, many of these iconic characters are memorable within their verses as a TEAM, rather than them independent, and having them listed together will lead to better representation of them, and especially for characters with a Leader role, help readers understand the importance of these characters within their own teams, and by proxy their importance within the Vs. Debating sphere as strategizers and morale boosters are represented better. Alongside this, MANY teams also possess some degree of team techniques which they're able to perform through collaboration, and we just, don't list this at all.

Now onto the issues surrounding this, I have remedied some by suggesting rules within the format itself, namely:

Wiki enforces the rule that every member of the team roster must have their own profiles separate, for the team profile to be created. This is ensure the capabilities of the team are indexed appropriately and completely.
Additional reasoning for this is also to prevent users from making team files as a substitute to character files, which is extremely lazy and unhelpful, and something I don't want promoted by this format.
However, there are exceptions to this rule:

If only certain incarnations of the team are missing files for their roster while other incarnations aren't, the profile can still be made listing only the incarnations whose rosters are fully indexed
In the scenario one of the members of the team is inapplicable to receive a file due to being too minor, and by proxy wasn't featured prominently as a team member, the team profile can still be made with the file noting it only covers the active roster of the team
In the scenario there are numerous minor or unremarkable members of the team, it can be considered functionally akin to a civilization, as such Civilization Profiles format may be better suited to index them.
These are self-explanatory exceptions remedying the more extreme exclusions by the original rule.
Additionally, teams must also be official in-verse i.e. refered as such by characters within the verse, and possess a team name or an analogous term. This is ensure excessively minor team-ups aren't indexed, and thus bloat the wiki.
Also self-explanatory.

Any additional patrolling because of this is worth it, as again, this is a very important part of vs. debating, which I feel we unnecessarily exclude.

This seems like a good middle between character profiles and civilization profiles. And to be fair, characters such as Pokemon Trainers, or Yu-Gi-Oh duelists also feel more like team leaders for their squad of "Monsters" being the roster. And I wonder if it could be fitting for them to be reformatted in a similar manner. But there are far too many list of characters who feel inseparable as a team.

Anyway, I think this seems like a solid plan/idea.

I don't mind if we create team pages based on our existing verse page format, with image gallery links to the members, and add other relevant information related to the team structure itself and its organisation. However, I definitely do not think that we should include all of the powers and statistics of every character that has ever been a member. That would be extremely bloated and redundant.

Pain

Anyway, a question:
  • How would people like iron man be used in terms of tiering? We can use his own file or the armour he used around that era?

I don't mind if we create team pages based on our existing verse page format, with image gallery links to the members, and add other relevant information related to the team structure itself and its organisation. However, I definitely do not think that we should include all of the powers and statistics of every character that has ever been a member. That would be extremely bloated and redundant.
@AKM sama @Promestein @DontTalkDT @Ultima_Reality @DarkDragonMedeus @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Ogbunabali @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou

Would you be willing to give input here please?

I don't mind if we create team pages based on our existing verse page format, with image gallery links to the members, and add other relevant information related to the team structure itself and its organisation. However, I definitely do not think that we should bloat such pages with all of the statistics of every character that has ever been a member. That would be extremely bloated and redundant.
I don't think that's what's being proposed here. We aren't going to slap 2a/low 1c on avengers because of RKT. Their most standard/relevant ratings will likely be used.

And obviously, one time members will be excluded from this listing.

So this is a like a smaller scale version of our Civilization profiles?

I don't have any objections to that.

I don't think that's what's being proposed here. We aren't going to slap 2a/low 1c on avengers because of RKT. Their most standard/relevant ratings will likely be used.

And obviously, one time members will be excluded from this listing.
Check the suggested format page please. It includes many sections for statistics, which I strongly disagree with.

On the other hand, I do think that it is a good idea to include these pages for our visitors as long as they are mainly patterned after our verse page format, with the additional unique sections that Impress suggested, which do not overlap with already existing character profile statistics.

However, I definitely do not think that we should include all of the powers and statistics of every character that has ever been a member. That would be extremely bloated and redundant.
If you'd note, we don't list a Powers and Abilities section for all the team members collective. This is because of that reason alone.

Also we only list other statistics to help users contrast between two teams, that is crucial as well I feel from a Vs. Debating perspective.

So this is a like a smaller scale version of our Civilization profiles?

I don't have any objections to that.
Please check the suggested format. It includes lots of listed statistics for the sum totality of the members. That does not seem like a good approach to me.

I mean if we have multiple characters from one team that can perform tier 2 or 1 attacks, I don't see the problem? Tho power ups, sure. That won't be counted.

If you'd note, we don't list a Powers and Abilities section for all the team members collective. This is because of that reason alone.

Also we only list other statistics to help users contrast between two teams, that is crucial as well I feel.
I think that you have several good ideas for the pages. I just think that we should avoid statistics sections, and stick to a mixture of a verse page format and your unique or more relevant new additions regarding the team itself, such as standard tactics. That would be most useful for our visitors. They can find additional information by clicking on the image gallery links.

However, we could separate the image gallery link sections into God-tiers, High-tiers, Mid-tiers, Low, tiers, etcetera, if you wish.

I think that you have several good ideas for the pages. I just think that we should avoid statistics sections, and stick to a mixture of a verse page format and your unique or more relevant new additions regarding the team itself, such as standard tactics.
I feel like that'll be unhelpful from an indexing perspective though. Like at the end of the day I don't mind yeeting them, but it's going to make vs. debating with them alot less clearer.

I think that you have several good ideas for the pages. I just think that we should avoid statistics sections, and stick to a mixture of a verse page format and your unique or more relevant new additions regarding the team itself, such as standard tactics. That would be most useful for our visitors. They can find additional information by clicking on the image gallery links.

However, we could separate the image gallery link sections into God-tiers, High-tiers, Mid-tiers, Low, tiers, etcetera, if you wish.
To further clarify, my focus is that this is a useful idea for indexing purposes, so our visitors can more easily find information about their favourite characters, not an opportunity for our members to create listed matchups with many characters involved.

Oh, a possible addition to the format. Would it be okay to list a base of operations. Those tend to be pretty iconic to teams, like the JL Satelite, X-Mansion, Avengers Tower, etc.

Hmm, it is possible this would create a lot of extra work for indexing. If one or two characters get revised, the team profiles would need to be updated as well.

But the concept of the profile type itself is still fine to me.

To further clarify, my focus is that this is a useful idea for indexing purposes, so our visitors can more easily find information about their favourite characters, not an opportunity for our members to create listed matchups with many characters involved.
Fine, I'll remove the statistics.

I disagre with removing the stats. Whether or not the site was intended fr a certain thing, it's mostly used for another. Removing the stats kinda just adds extra work fr those who use the site for its other purpose whie making it mildly more convient for the other

Just to clarify, here are the sections that I think should be removed:

Tier:

Attack Potency:

Speed:

Lifting Strength:

Striking Strength:

Durability:

Stamina:

Range:

Intelligence:

Weaknesses:

Feats:

Notable Team Attacks/Techniques:

Key:

Others

I am not sure about Feats though. It might be useful, as long as it lists classic team effort accomplishments.

I disagre with removing the stats. Whether or not the site was intended fr a certain thing, it's mostly used for another. Removing the stats kinda just adds extra work fr those who use the site for its other purpose whie making it mildly more convient for the other
Well, beyond what I stated earlier, it would also be impractical to constantly have to update all relevant team pages as soon as each member has had a tier changed.

Well, beyond what I stated earlier, it would also be impractical to constantly have to update all relevant team pages as soon as each member has had a tier changed.
I don't think it inherently adds more effort than just making more pages tends to do. Lets say if Superman gets an upgrade, then we would already have to upgrade about 40 pages to match that. The amount of teams he's been an noteworthy member of are like, three, whereas I can theoretically make dozens of more pages that scale to him, that would also have to be changed if he were to be changed.

Most characters are only part of one or two teams. The characters who are apart of many like Wolverine or Spider-Man are nt going to be the strongest or weakest members o their teams so it's kind of a moot point.

Okay. I still think that it is redundant and bloated to list team statistics though, as all of that information is already listed for the individual members that will be linked to in image galleries. However, it is fine to add a "Power of the team" section based on our verse page format.

II don't think it bloats the page at all, and even if it did, I think most people would be more okay with minor bloat tha spending several minutes checking every individual for the sake of a thread.

Hmm, maybe, but I still think that it would likely be too messy to include an official matchups section, and that we should include verse-page style image gallery links to all of the members, possibly organised in order of power levels.

I feel it isn't particularly tough to argue team match-ups contrasted to general 1v1s, as many teams I feel have a very rigid way of going about combat, especially since we have made apoint to eliminating excessively minor and unformal teams from our standards altogether.

Like noting all of the fields I have listed there, I feel it's easy to state how a match-up may go using them, as many unknown factors are listed as fields in the format.

Okay. I suppose that I am neutral in that regard then.

What about my suggestion to include verse-page style image gallery links to all of the members, possibly organised in order of power levels. I think that it would likely be useful for our visitors.

What about my suggestion to include verse-page style image gallery links to all of the members, possibly organised in order of power levels. I think that it would likely be useful for our visitors.
This works, although may be wonky to arrange them with respect to power level, as taking the example of X-Men and their powerhouse, would you for example say Wolverine (4-B attacks) is on a higher power level than someone like Jean Grey (High 6-C attacks but REALLY POWERFUL mindhax)? That may be too many factors to consider I feel.

Okay. Never mind about the power level ranking then.

How do we draw the line between what counts for a team page and a civilization page? Like, what number, would you say? Or should teams be purely made out of wiki-relevant combatants without any assorted, miscellaneous fodder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back