• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Acrobatics rewording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tllmbrg

VS Battles
Content Moderator

I take problem specifically with the section of Enhanced Condition, that being "Leaping great distances" due to it being well way too broad application since any superhuman with decent leg strength would be getting that power then
Also while we're at it maybe we should remove surface running and add it to surface scaling as a type?
While yes it's not "true surface scaling" the flight page includes in it pseudo flight/limited forms of flight so why not have surface running in surface scaling in the same way?

I don't see the issue here. If they actually have shown to have "good leg strength" and shown to be able to leap distances like that with their legs then they have the ability. Simple.

I mean the page should at least be rewarded to say what's the bare minimum in that front is then
Also I can assume you're not against the other proposition I made for the page?

Both of these ideas make sense to me. The Hulk doesn't exactly strike me as the acrobatic type. As for surface running, it's often based more on speed than agility so being in acrobatics does feel a bit odd.

Also yah we'll need to add acrobatics to a fair bit of pages if just jumping far is enough to get that

Going of this the average distance for standing long jumps is between 1.71 to 1.8 meters so everything above us that probs would count as the power unless we want to make the bar higher

I don't think it's a noteworthy-enough ability honestly, but that's secondary

Nah acrobatics should stay, not everyone can do back flips like there's no tomorrow after all

Either way I think you meant "rewording" and nor "rewarding"? Cause that had me confused.

Ideally either removing big leaps from the stuff that can give you acrobatics or define it better and moving Surface Running to Surface Scaling page as a sub type

I agree with the moving of Surface Running. I feel like the acrobatics page should be changed as Enhanced Condition literally includes leaping, a resistance (ignoring vertigo), and a durability thing (plus a technique but eh).
Hypermobility is usually just lumped under Body Control.
And the list goes on.

Tbf we could always just remove Enhanced Condition since everything in it should be covered by other pages (not sure what resisting vertigo counts as tho) and Hypermobility is basically another way to say flexibility so I assume it means bending to a great degree but not like "oh look I can swallow my whole arm no problem" or something like that

Self-Momentum/Inertia Manipulation:The user controls their own movements, being capable of accelerating and decelerating quickly with no issues.

This can be done pretty easily by anyone basically. Some runners can do this. It is pretty redundant.

Mid-Air Jump: Acting like they stand on a solid surface, the users are capable of performing additional jumps in the middle of the air. Some users can even obtain Pseudo-flight by jumping in mid-air indefinitely.

Not something I would classify as acrobatics

I can see Double Jumping as a weird sort of acrobatics, idk tho

Picture the ladder like a ‘Double Jump’ in games. I’m sure you’ve played something like Smash Bros, yes? Like how Mario can suddenly do a pirouette into the air, mid-air, or Samus does a backflip in the middle of the air despite nothing being there to flip off of.
Something like that.

Exactly what I meant. Though I feel like pirouettes by themselves would count as acrobatics

Self-Momentum/Inertia Manipulation:The user controls their own movements, being capable of accelerating and decelerating quickly with no issues.

This can be done pretty easily by anyone basically. Some runners can do this. It is pretty redundant.

Mid-Air Jump: Acting like they stand on a solid surface, the users are capable of performing additional jumps in the middle of the air. Some users can even obtain Pseudo-flight by jumping in mid-air indefinitely.

I mean I agree that most of the page should be chopped of, page should just be boiled down to the basic description and the examples that are okay (Like All Terrian Mobility)

This should just be a subsection for Vector Manipulation.

Basically, it was going to be a page for Double Jump, however it was considered to be a pretty specific power; I stead, I suggested to create a page that would cover similar powers and avoid future attempts of adding more specific powers as profiles. Acrobatics was the most similar for the concept.

However, as you have noticed, it involve stuff a jumping, athletics and other forms of movement, so it more approaches to a mobility based power than acrobatics per se.

So we should remove those aspects, superior overall mobility should be its own page or not be a page at all since superhuman characterises already in theory covers those

If that is the case, then it's fine; although, I feel we should expand our Superhuman Characteristics, so it can cover, both at enhanced or supernatural levels, a great broad of conditions.

I'm okay with that, heck it'll actually give us a reason to keep SC besides it being a hassle to remove

I suppose Enhanced Mobility, with Acrobatics as one of the sectors would actually work.

Why wouldn't flight fall under it too then?
It's an enhanced form of mobility after all

I believe it qualifies more as another type of locomotion rather than enhancement, similar to burrowing and swimming. However, both powers are combinable.

I believe it qualifies more as another type of locomotion rather than enhancement, similar to burrowing and swimming. However, both powers are combinable.
Fair enough ig, either way I think we just take what's basically being superhuman in acrobatics and add it to SC and keep acrobatics as finesse stuff

I agree that characters should not qualify for acrobatics simply due to being able to jump far with superhuman leg muscles.

Okay just to make sure everyone on the same page:
So Enhanced Condition should get removed from the page and re-located to Superhuman Characteristics
Surface Running gets re-located to Surface Scaling page
Mid-Air Jump just gets removed

We either remake acrobatics to be enhanced movement or just make it be about well acrobatics, personally I prefer the later since superior mobility is covered by a myriad of other powers so it's pointless imo

I don't see what's wrong with enhanced condition. It's not like acrobatics isn't a thing real people can have.

Double jumping seems better suited to limited flight imo

idk why surface running would go to surface scaling though. DIfferent principles at play. Sticking to walls and stuff isn't really based off surface tension.

I don't see what's wrong with enhanced condition. It's not like acrobatics isn't a thing real people can have.
It's cuz everything in that section isn't actually acrobatics

Double jumping seems better suited to limited flight imo
Sure

idk why surface running would go to surface scaling though. DIfferent principles at play. Sticking to walls and stuff isn't really based off surface tension.
Same reason why you have pseudo flight in flight page, it's an inferior version of the actual thing

1: Given that regular definitions of acrobatics tend to encompass gymnastics, I don't see how long jumping and aerial maneuvering wouldn't be acrobatics.

3: Pseudo flight isn't working off entirely different principles. Surface tension based water running isn't an inferior version of sticking to walls, it's something totally unrelated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back