• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Pain Tolerance and Resistance to Pain Manipulation

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
This is a subject that has been talked quite a lot of times in the past and across several threads, and this thread is meant to end the debate once and for all, establishing our official take.

Basically, many characters have Resistance to Pain because of stamina and pain endurance feats, but many argue that it shouldn't be considered a propert resistance, rather just a stamine feat.
Still according to this argument, Resistance to Pain Manipulation should be given only to characters who don't feel pain or have means, supernatural or not, to dampen, nullify, shrug off pain or anything else that targets pain itself.

Resistance to pain manipulation is basically characters who aren't effected much by pain manipulation hax; characters have basically have 0 nerves and cannot experience pain would be the only way to be immune to pain manipulation.

Pain tolerance character still physically feel just as much pain, it's just they mentally do not mind it or are at least completely used to it. Or in more extreme cases such as Majin Buu or the Joker are strait up masochists who actually enjoy pain.

The point is more to draw a line between having a feat listed as actual Resistance or just as stamina.
The argument is that characters who push through pain, immense or not, out of sheer determination or physical might shouldn't have it listed as a Resistance in the Powers&Abilities section.

characters have basically have 0 nerves and cannot experience pain would be the only way to be immune to pain manipulation.
I disagree with this.Being immune to physical pain by having zero nerves does literally nothing against an opponent who can inflict pain directly to the mind

Having no sense of pain is indeed resistance. But soul/mental pain manipulation would require a different resistance. In the same vein having resistance for mental/soul pain manipulation, doesn't mean they can resist physical/nerve pain manipulation.

Pain Tolerance is usually covered by Supernatural Willpower. "Characters with this ability may be able to resist enormous amounts of pain, act even when unconscious or well beyond what they should be able to endure, resist possession and mind control, affect their environment, or even go against natural phenomena, such as death or the limits imposed by reality."

Though regardless being able to withstand large amount of pain should also be put in the stamina section of a profile. Toughing through large amount of pain should not be pain resistance though, regardless of it being mental or physical. Since they still feel the normal amount of pain, they just power through it, or don't care about it.

Having resistance means the pain they feel, physical/mental, doesn't hurt as much as it was suppose to.

Should "Pain Tolerance" be its own power on the Wiki? A myriad of different characters in fiction have an immense, superhuman threshold for injury and damage by simply being able-bodied rather than supernaturally strong of will (i.e., Izuku Midoriya, Garou, Bruce Wayne, etc.), allowing them to overcome their pain through physical power, and those feats should really count as a "tolerance" than as stamina, which is more akin to being stabbed and beaten and continuing to fight despite being bleeding and sweating and dehydrated.

How is that not supernatural willpower? You feel the same amount of pain as any normal person, but they're able to power through it via sheer willpower.

What do you mean able-bodied? Can you give some examples of this, so that I can better understand what you mean.

I say toss showing of great tolerance under stamina and save resistance for Pain Manipulation for actually resisting the ability of pain manipulation, or lacking the ability to be afflicted by said power.

I say toss showing of great tolerance under stamina and save resistance for Pain Manipulation for actually resisting the ability of pain manipulation, or lacking the ability to be afflicted by said power.
I agree with this, which is also what has been proposed in the past.

Bump, if this thread goes through, what's been said in the OP and Duedate's post should be added to the Pain Manipulation page, and we could start removing invalid cases of Resistance to Pain over time in this thread or in the all-purposes one.

Agree with this, but I think that when removing pain tolerance from profiles where its listed as resistance to pain, those feats should be added under stamina (sometimes skill)

Sure, this was already implied, of course any feat would be moved to stamina, if they aren't there already.

Now that talk about Immunity to Pain, currently we default character that is robot have no soul Immunity to soul hax. So what about character that have no body or body that not biological, well for example Incorporeal character???

Inorganic Phisiology and Incorporeality should cover it already, and even then they may not necessarily be immune to pain.

How is that not supernatural willpower? You feel the same amount of pain as any normal person, but they're able to power through it via sheer willpower.

What do you mean able-bodied? Can you give some examples of this, so that I can better understand what you mean.
AFAIK Supernatural Willpower is forbidden to be used in those cases, as the page explicitly states:

"Although some characters can be considered to have a great will to achieve their goals or give their all in a fight, characters that have a willpower on this level can go vastly beyond what should logically be possible for them, with more extreme cases being able to oppose natural phenomena such as death."

Back