• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About lightning feats

The_Calaca

VS Battles
Retired
When do we count a lightning in fiction as real? I mean we have the page which explains but it doesn't explain much when it comes to requirements.

I'm asking this since there's no lightning speed in Naruto's Raiton jutsus (or at least in the majority of them) and I wonder how many requirements are considered the minimal to put the lightning feat as legit lightning.

Bruhh!!

I was gonna make this exact same post!!

A verse I'm planning on revising has a lot of "lightning speed" statements (At least 4 early on).

Well... your welcome :^D

I'm currently thinking of the same. I saw a blog where a lightning is considered as real just for being conductive while the other things were severely ignored.

Of it's consistent with realistic lightning and has stuff like being cloud to ground to back it up, though this is a pretty case by case thing. Got a specific example?

Laxus's lightning. Do you know what makes it comparable to real lightning?

I don't know who that is, so no, sorry.

Yeah I don't really do anime. Whoever got that added would probably be a better person to ask, or to see if you can find the thread.

@Woki

So what do you think about cases like Douluo Dalu (A verse I'm currently planning on updating) I've been reading the novel, and there are a lot...and I mean a lot of lightning speed statements (For slower characters too.)

But as far as actual feats go, the most consistent speed for the low tiers have been between subsonic and supersonic+. As there are a lot of instances where characters seemingly dissapear from in front of an opponent or cannot even be properly seen by people who are tens of meters away.

As far as actual evidence for lightning speed, one character has two lightning speed statements and is associated with electricity manipulation (Granted, the second lightning speed statement didn't pertain to it).

Again, this is strictly speaking about the low tiers of the fanchise because I'm still early on in the novel.

As far as I know, the lightning should exhibit the same properties as natural lightning and have evidence of being as powerful as a typical cloud to ground lightning. This means either explicitly being noted to be as powerful as a lightning bolt or having an AP>=CloudToGround lighting.

I always thought that as long as it exhibited the same properties it was fine.

For example Laxus' Lightning was capable of being redirected towards a lightning rod(Gajeel)

In Lightning Dodging Feats there are more conditions for that to work.

In Natsu dodging Laxus's calc there was a user called FinalBattleX01 who claimed this feat to being unaccurate despite that requeriment because there are more flaws with that lightning. But even then it was accepted as real lightning despite the differences so where do we draw the line? Is just one similarity needed to accept a lightning as real despite the differences?

The similar properties are like

• Comes from clouds
  • Arcs
  • Shows that it can be conducive
  • Similar power output
  • Is naturally produced
There's other things, but it usually has to meet some of the above requirements to be considered lightning.

@Qaw I don't think similar power output is evidence for being natural lightning. If the lightning is proved to be natural beforehand, then it is evidence for having lightning speed.

By power output I mean that it comes from a source that isn't natural. A weapon or a person (such as Electro).

If it comes from a cloud and doesn't have anti-feats then yeah, it should have all the properties of lightning.

Back