• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About immortality types for an incorporeal character

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
I have a few questions regarding whether or not Immortality types 2, 3, 5 and 7 apply to this character, Gargos from the rebooted Killer Instinct. (keep in mind this isn't meant to be a CRT, although this topic will be featured in an upcoming one, which will also feature all the evidences and scans of what I say).

He is naturally an incorporeal soul (spawned from a black hole) and originates from the afterlife (or rather the dimension where the souls of people go upon dying). He creates bodies for himself to inhabit, and killing the body would just set his soul/true self free, which can return to the Astral Plane, create a new body and then come back to Earth (although the process requires time and the death of the body weakens his true self).

I believe this could be considered type 5, since his true self already comes from the afterlife and is unbound by it, and to kill him you need to destroy his soul.

I'm not sure about types 2, 3 and 7, since his physical bodies are "artificial" (although biological) things he creates, but aren't naturally part of him, and for this reason I'm not sure concepts like Regeneration, Undeath and Resilient Immortality can be applied to them.

That's not Type 5, that's Type 6. That's also not Type 2, because if someone had the NPI to affect his true self theirs no evidence it would meet the requirements for Type 2. That is Creation, not Regeneration, yeah. Type 7 is flimsy, but standards are you have to died but still continued on to get it.

6: Parasitic: The character is able to attain a sort of immortality by abandoning bodies whenever necessary to transfer their consciousness to another body, whether they are possessing someone else or switching to a backup body.

With the context about coming back to life and creating his body again, it could be type 4 with Resurrection or
type 6 as Everything12 said than type 5 since being able to warp back and forth from the afterlife doesn't grant type 5
Type 7 should work since being just a soul after death makes you a ghost or dead already somehow for most fiction unless stated otherwise

I'm not sure about types 4 and 6, as he doesn't need a body to exist, only to interact (or at least that's what's sort of implied) with the mundane plane, and he came to existence without having one, he was incorporeal from the beginning.

But yes, it seems all three types (2, 3 and 5) don't really apply to this case.

Back