• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A suggestion for the new Media icons

Skalt711

He/Him
VS Battles
Retired
Recently I started to experiment with the new Media icons because I think that the current ones have several issues:

1. The most important one is the poor choice of the visible characters. Most of the time you can only push one character to the icon's space because of how little it is. It also restricts the choice of the represented verses.
  2. The next issue is rather small-ish text. While you'll definitely notice it, I think that the text's size doesn't fit well with the pictures.
  3. And the last issue is the lacking backgrounds. While the icons themselves work fine without them, they look boring. Rather than just showing a character himself, I think that putting a respective background will definitely attract more casual visitors.
Because of them, I decided to work on the new Media icons that would make the main page more attractive, while eliminating all the issues that I have stated above.

Here's an example of how the new icon-banner would look like. Note that the background is only for an example and can be decided later.

Example ICON
Note: Regular members can give their input if it has any useful information.

Well, I personally like how the current media icons fit with the colour theme of our overall layout, and don't really have a problem with most of the character selections.

Hmmm. Maybe a blue-ish border can be added.

I'm waiting for other people to respond.

Okay. I still prefer what we have currently over your example. My apologies.

While we are at it, I think having a gallery of the most recommended stuff at the site to look at with an image gallery rather than a bunch of text for the most part (which is what´s currently done) would also help in that regard.

Sort of like what the Disney wiki has, for example.

But we already have that, both via the different media types image gallery in the front page, and via the "Featured" section of our wiki navigation bar.

We also have too many profiles and even verse pages to properly select a limited number of them as proper representations of the wiki, or without appearing biased.

Yes, but if you ask me, a "side-scrolling" one looks more appealing.

But if it´s not a big deal, yeah, we can just move on.

Bobsican is just obsessed with Disney.

@Antvasima

Believe me, it is impossible not to prefer any bias at all when you're representing a wiki that covers so much franchises. We can just stick with the most popular combat-themed ones.

I´m not biased, it´s just that I´ve seen variations of it in many wikis to say the least.

And of course, I don´t really mind what goes at the end so long it works.

Well, I think that we already have a link to the category list of our verse pages in the front page, so that should hopefully be enough.

Back