• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Spirited Discussion on God of War's Soul Manipulation

Not particularly proud of this title, but the title I wanted to use was taken up by an unrelated thread I was working on. You hate to see it.

This thread got out of hand, didn't it? That can be blamed on one major part of the GoW magic explanation page:
This is the justification used to claim that all instances of magic in God of War affect the soul of the target. For example, Zeus' lightning doesn't just shock and paralyze its victims, but also annihilates their very being, because all magic affects the soul. As an extension of this, damn near everyone in the verse resists soul manipulation and magic, because they aren't one-shot by these soul-obliterating spells. The reason for magic's ties to the soul, while not super apparent from the ability justification, can be broken down as follows using context from both the explanation page and the original upgrade thread.
  • Magic and life force are the same, and life force and souls are the same, therefore magic and souls are equivalent.
    • Evidence for magic and life force being the same:
    • Evidence for life force and souls being the same:
      • Hades' soul-stealing magic also steals the target's life energy.
      • The "soulsteal" trait in the Norse games refers to draining the life from the target.
  • Magic is a manifestation of the soul [citation needed].
    • The explanation page also says the soul is but a construct of magic [citation needed], which is the total opposite of the claim that magic is a manifestation of the soul. The page is trying to claim that magic creates the soul, and the soul creates magic, unaware(?) that these are inherently contradictory. Apparently, the answer to "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" is, in the eyes of GoW supporters, "both".
  • A mortal oracle wove a curse that afflicted Kratos' body and soul.
  • When one dies and their soul passes into the afterlife, their magic stays with them.
Again, I'm not gonna focus on the validity of these claims and just assume all of them are true, and then see if all of this evidence actually points towards magic harming the soul. To start, saying "magic and the soul are the same" is not compatible with saying "magic is a manifestation of the soul". The former implies the two are the same, while the latter implies the soul is what creates magic. It's a chicken and the egg scenario (again), except here the claim is that the chicken and the egg are one and the same. An entity or force giving birth to itself, while technically not impossible in the vast expanse of fiction, is also highly improbable, especially in this case where nothing actually supports that conclusion. One of these interpretations has to be done away with.

But let's pretend these contradicting interpretations are both true, somehow. Even in that scenario, magic wouldn't harm the soul by its nature. In the case of magic and the soul being the same, why would this be equivalent to magic spells harming the soul with every use? It is technically "manipulating" the soul by drawing out a part of the caster's spirit and manifesting it as whatever they desire (such as, say, a fireball), but that doesn't mean that fireball would burn the target's soul. Is firing a chunk of your soul at someone going to damage their own soul? Without further context, I believe the answer is no, and unfortunately, there isn't any further context that would turn that 'no' into a 'yes'.

Magic being a manifestation of the soul also wouldn't be soul manipulation. The soul is what creates magic, so one could say that souls manipulate magic, not the other way around. Being born from something does not mean you can manipulate that thing, either; An example of this would be ki from Dragon Ball, which like the soul/magic in GoW, is a universal energy system that allows one to create a wide array of different attacks. However, ki blasts do not damage an enemy's reserves of ki just because they're manifested from the user's own ki, just as energy blasts in GoW do not damage the soul just because they're manifested from the user's soul.

Of course, comparing verses like this has its own host of issues; It is entirely possible that GoW works on different mechanics that makes its logic of "magic is born from the soul so all magic can harm the soul" more valid than it would be for other verses. The problem is that such mechanics, if they exist, are never mentioned anywhere. What I have described here today is all GoW supporters have to offer as far as magic-based soulhax is concerned. As it stands, there is no evidence that magic can innately harm the soul.

That's the bulk of the evidence, and is what ended up on the explanation page. However, there are still two statements in the original upgrade thread I need to address. The one about the oracle cursing Kratos' soul is easy; From the context, it's clearly metaphorical, referring to the burden that weighs heavily on Kratos' conscience after he murdered his family (on top of the more physical burden of being literally covered in their ashes). Even if it weren't, though, this is merely a single instance of a magic spell afflicting the soul; There is no reason to extrapolate "one oracle made a curse that affects the soul" into "every fireball, lightning bolt, and energy blast destroys the soul". It is more likely that the oracle's curse is just one of the many ways magic can be utilized; Magic can also alter fate, weave illusions, trap people in an eternal slumber, or change the flow of time, but not every magic users has those abilities because such feats are specific to their users.

One's magic staying with them when they die is mildly interesting, but also not particularly relevant. It may help prove that magic and the soul have some intrinsic connection, but what it doesn't prove is the idea that such a connection gives magic the ability to destroy the soul.

TL;DR: GoW's magic system does not innately harm the soul, nor does anyone who survives being blasted with magic resist soul manipulation by extension. I'm not sure much about any of the pages would need to change, admittedly; The explanation page doesn't outright say magic can destroy the soul, and that just seems to be something GoW supporters will assert on the forum but not on the actual pages. While there's probably gonna be some debate over whether or not being a manifestation of/the same as the soul would be soul manipulation in and of itself, I'd like to request that we not focus on that for now since this thread is already gonna be a massive shitshow. Let's keep it focused on magic's ability to destroy the soul.

Verses having weirdly illogical relationships between metaphysical energies is fine as long as there’s evidence to support it. I am concerned the evidence in this case is insufficient. With a lack of direct statements of all magic affecting souls the reasoning presented just comes across as wild extrapolation.

I agree with the thread, but should actual evidence be presented and not just assertions the thread is wrong I might change my mind.

Verses having weirdly illogical relationships between metaphysical energies is fine as long as there’s evidence to support it. I am concerned the evidence in this case is insufficient. With a lack of direct statements of all magic affecting souls the reasoning presented just comes across as wild extrapolation.

I agree with the thread, but should actual evidence be presented and not just assertions the thread is wrong I might change my mind.
Everything I have presented is what is on the blogs, CRTs, and discussions pertaining to the topic (including the previous thread on the magic system). If there is additional evidence, then it would have to be completely new, which would also beg the question of why it wasn't brought up before.

The Hell!!! I took a quick look and damn!!! Frankly, I thought you could open a better one, Fuji. You failed the class

Anyway... I guess you argue that magic by its nature should not affect the soul, and thus not all UES users shouldn't has soul manipulation by default...Hmmm... I will then provide a comprehensive response to all arguments and responses with quotes.

Last edited:
That's the bulk of the evidence, and is what ended up on the explanation page. However, there are still two statements in the original upgrade thread I need to address. The one about the oracle cursing Kratos' soul is easy; From the context, it's clearly metaphorical, referring to the burden that weighs heavily on Kratos' conscience after he murdered his family (on top of the more physical burden of being literally covered in their ashes). Even if it weren't, though, this is merely a single instance of a magic spell afflicting the soul; There is no reason to extrapolate "one oracle made a curse that affects the soul" into "every fireball, lightning bolt, and energy blast destroys the soul". It is more likely that the oracle's curse is just one of the many ways magic can be utilized; Magic can also alter fate, weave illusions, trap people in an eternal slumber, or change the flow of time, but not every magic users has those abilities because such feats are specific to their users.
I do have something I can contribute to the thread! We actually do get to read what specifically the oracle said when she cursed Kratos in Chapter 27 of the novelization of the first God of War game. (It's terribly inconvenient to have two God of War game novelizations called "God of War...")

From this night forward, the mark of your terrible deed will be visible to all. The ashes of your wife and child will remain fastened to your skin, never to be removed.
She doesn't mention Kratos' soul at all. It's not directly affected by her curse/the ashes of Lysandra and Calliope. It's all about his body and making sure the evidence of his deeds are always visible and ever-present. I think your read of the situation is right.

I do have something I can contribute to the thread! We actually do get to read what specifically the oracle said when she cursed Kratos in Chapter 27 of the novelization of the first God of War game. (It's terribly inconvenient to have two God of War game novelizations called "God of War...")

She doesn't mention Kratos' soul at all. It's not directly affected by her curse/the ashes of Lysandra and Calliope. It's all about his body and making sure the evidence of his deeds are always visible and ever-present. I think your read of the situation is right.

Btw this justification Fuji explained in the OP was never used for UES.

The abilities (including soul manipulation) she cites came from the primordial force's fundamental relationship with the nature of the soul and magic.

I'm going to bed now, I'll answer this in detail tomorrow, but the OP has a tremendous amount of misinformation and arguments written just to be written.
Whether this is acceptable or not is fine, but what I will say is that Fuji has horribly misunderstood the mechanics of the verse.

I think even if this passes, I would reopen it regularly with an enlightened and clean mind and have it added.

Thread can’t pass anyways until 48 hours goes by so you have time don’t worry about that
Yes, I know, thank you for anyway, I will write tomorrow if I find time, but depending on my situation, I may not have time for a few days.

If that were the case and it was accepted by the way, I think I would open a revision to get it added again, that's what I meant.

Btw this justification Fuji explained in the OP was never used for UES.
Then why was it in the original upgrade thread? To quote Planck directly, this was intended to act as supporting evidence to the other claims:
Supported further by how even a mortal Oracle can weave a curse affecting one's body and soul and how one's magic stays with them even after they die and go to the afterlife.

Thanks for providing this. With this, it becomes even more apparent that the mention of Kratos' soul is non-literal and more representative of his crushing guilt and recurring nightmares as opposed to any soul-destroying magic curse.
The abilities (including soul manipulation) she cites came from the primordial force's fundamental relationship with the nature of the soul and magic.
I understand you can't make a proper response until later, but could you at least tell me which section of the magic explanation page I can find this in?

Then why was it in the original upgrade thread? To quote Planck directly, this was intended to act as supporting evidence to the other claims:
I mean, this was not used the way you said in the OP... You are interpreting the verse personally, out of context.

For example this part;
To start, saying "magic and the soul are the same" is not compatible with saying "magic is a manifestation of the soul"....
As I said, it's already late here and I need to sleep. Tomorrow I'll write an argument explaining this mechanic and answering the OP
I understand you can't make a proper response until later, but could you at least tell me which section of the magic explanation page I can find this in?
Even if I can't write a text on this revision, I'll definitely include them in the OP to get them added if it's accepted. Can you wait for that time pls?

Still, I guess (and I hope) I'll write it tomorrow...

Everything I have presented is what is on the blogs, CRTs, and discussions pertaining to the topic (including the previous thread on the magic system). If there is additional evidence, then it would have to be completely new, which would also beg the question of why it wasn't brought up before.
This reoccurring pattern of claims that evidence exists but never on the profiles is getting concerning.

Back