• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Robert Baratheon (Books) Durability Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boar that killed Bobby B will paradoxically give him a durability upgrade.
Let me explain.

Robert was hunting a boar which had a monstrous size:
"Is there word of the king?" Ned demanded. "Just how long does Robert intend to hunt?"
"Given his preferences, I believe he'd stay in the forest until you and the queen both die of old age," Lord Petyr replied with a faint smile. "Lacking that, I imagine he'll return as soon as he's killed something. They found the white hart, it seems … or rather, what remained of it. Some wolves found it first, and left His Grace scarcely more than a hoof and a horn. Robert was in a fury, until he heard talk of some monstrous boar deeper in the forest. Then nothing would do but he must have it. Prince Joffrey returned this morning, with the Royces, Ser Balon Swann, and some twenty others of the party. The rest are still with the king."
No precise size or weight is given to us about the wild boar, but I find it rather safe to give it at least the weight of an Ussuri Boar, the heaviest boar subspecies in the world.
Ussuri Boar has a Wall level KE (26,968 J to 31,462 J).

Robert has his own way of hunting boar; he waits for the latter to rush at him at full speed and then throws his spear at the last moment:
"It shall be as you command, my lord." Ser Barristan seemed old beyond his years. "I have failed my sacred trust."
"Even the truest knight cannot protect a king against himself," Ned said. "Robert loved to hunt boar. I have seen him take a thousand of them." He would stand his ground without flinching, his legs braced, the great spear in his hands, and as often as not he would curse the boar as it charged, and wait until the last possible second, until it was almost on him, before he killed it with a single sure and savage thrust. "No one could know this one would be his death."
"You are kind to say so, Lord Eddard."
Note: It is not explicitly said that the boars are going at full speed towards Robert but it is rather blatant, because they are targeted by a spear

But the problem is that at that time, Robert had drunk too much wine (because of a scheme by Cersei and Lancel), and he missed his target:
His men brought him close. Ned steadied himself with a hand on the bedpost. He had only to look down at Robert to know how bad it was. "What …?" he began, his throat clenched.
"A boar." Lord Renly was still in his hunting greens, his cloak spattered with blood.
"A devil," the king husked. "My own fault. Too much wine, damn me to hell. Missed my thrust."
"The king himself said as much. He blamed the wine."
The white-haired knight gave a weary nod. "His Grace was reeling in his saddle by the time we flushed the boar from his lair, yet he commanded us all to stand aside."
"I wonder, Ser Barristan," asked Varys, so quietly, "who gave the king this wine?"

So Robert was charged by a boar and then disemboweled, and then Robert slew the boar. They took two days to bring Robert back to King's Landing:
"And where were the rest of you?" Ned demanded of Lord Renly. "Where was Ser Barristan and the Kingsguard?"
Renly's mouth twitched. "My brother commanded us to stand aside and let him take the boar alone."
Eddard Stark lifted the blanket.
They had done what they could to close him up, but it was nowhere near enough. The boar must have been a fearsome thing. It had ripped the king from groin to nipple with its tusks. The wine-soaked bandages that Grand Maester Pycelle had applied were already black with blood, and the smell off the wound was hideous. Ned's stomach turned. He let the blanket fall.
"Stinks," Robert said. "The stink of death, don't think I can't smell it. Bastard did me good, eh? But I … I paid him back in kind, Ned." The king's smile was as terrible as his wound, his teeth red. "Drove a knife right through his eye. Ask them if I didn't. Ask them."
[...]
Robert nodded and closed his eyes. Ned watched his old friend sag softly into the pillows as the milk of the poppy washed the pain from his face. Sleep took him.
Heavy chains jangled softly as Grand Maester Pycelle came up to Ned. "I will do all in my power, my lord, but the wound has mortified. It took them two days to get him back. By the time I saw him, it was too late. I can lessen His Grace's suffering, but only the gods can heal him now."
"How long?" Ned asked.
"By rights, he should be dead already. I have never seen a man cling to life so fiercely."
"My brother was always strong," Lord Renly said. "Not wise, perhaps, but strong." In the sweltering heat of the bedchamber, his brow was slick with sweat. He might have been Robert's ghost as he stood there, young and dark and handsome. "He slew the boar. His entrails were sliding from his belly, yet somehow he slew the boar." His voice was full of wonder.
"Robert was never a man to leave the battleground so long as a foe remained standing," Ned told him.

It should be noted:
  • Robert had no other injuries known and mentioned aside from the ripping of the boar's tusks, so only piercing damage affected him.
  • The boar's charge neither rendered him unconscious nor killed him instantly, because he still had the strength to slay the boar

Which means that Robert tanked a Wall level charge without apparent damage.

I also think Robert should have Limited Immortality (Type 2) for surviving a disembowelment for two days and to be able to kill a wild boar in this state

Last edited:
For the size of the monstrous boar that killed Robert, I must also add that another boar described in this way exists in the books, and we have an indication of its size:
Amongst the riders came one man afoot, with some big beast trotting at his heels. A boar, Jon saw. A monstrous boar. Twice the size of Ghost, the creature was covered with coarse black hair, with tusks as long as a man's arm. Jon had never seen a boar so huge or ugly. The man beside him was no beauty either; hulking, black-browed, he had a flat nose, heavy jowls dark with stubble, small black close-set eyes.

The size of an adult Direwolf:
Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman's perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth full of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel.
"It's no freak," Jon said calmly. "That's a direwolf. They grow larger than the other kind."
So Borroq's boar is freakish huge

So yeah, giving the size and weight of a Ussuri Boar, at the very least, to the boar that killed Robert Baratheon seems legitimate to me

Last edited:
Neutral, it is rather odd that you want to scale Robert to the thing that mortally wounded him.

Neutral, it is rather odd that you want to scale Robert to the thing that mortally wounded him.
It was the boar's tusks (piercing damage) that wounded Robert, not the charge (kinetic energy).

Wild boars charge at their targets to make them fall and then disembowel them with their tusks.

Example:
It began just as he said. The boar charged, Barsena spun aside, her blade flashed silver in the sun. "She needs a spear," Ser Barristan said, as Barsena vaulted over the beast's second charge. "That is no way to fight a boar." He sounded like someone's fussy old grandsire, just as Daario was always saying.

Barsena's blade was running red, but the boar soon stopped. He is smarter than a bull, Dany realized. He will not charge again. Barsena came to the same realization. Shouting, she edged closer to the boar, tossing her knife from hand to hand. When the beast backed away, she cursed and slashed at his snout, trying to provoke him … and succeeding. This time her leap came an instant too late, and a tusk ripped her left leg open from knee to crotch.

A moan went up from thirty thousand throats. Clutching at her torn leg, Barsena dropped her knife and tried to hobble off, but before she had gone two feet the boar was on her once again. Dany turned her face away. "Was that brave enough?" she asked Strong Belwas, as a scream rang out across the sand.

"Fighting pigs is brave, but it is not brave to scream so loud. It hurts Strong Belwas in the ears." The eunuch rubbed his swollen stomach, crisscrossed with old white scars. "It makes Strong Belwas sick in his belly too."

The boar buried his snout in Barsena's belly and began rooting out her entrails. The smell was more than the queen could stand. The heat, the flies, the shouts from the crowd … I cannot breathe. She lifted her veil and let it flutter away. She took her tokar off as well. The pearls rattled softly against one another as she unwound the silk.

For immortality too?

This is just an excellent Stamina feat for Bobby B.
According to the description on the Immortality page:

2: Resilient Immortality: Characters with this degree of immortality can indefinitely survive injuries that would otherwise be lethal to a normal person, without needing to heal. This type of immortality can have different levels of effectiveness and can be bypassed, for example, by causing extremely severe wounds or the complete destruction of the body or specific parts of it, such as the head, etc.

This feat of Robert is similar to those of Thor from the comics:

The only difference is that Robert ended up dying from his injuries, but after surviving much, much longer than any normal human.

No, I get all that. It's just that people IRL can survive disembowelment, I'm pretty sure; at least for a few hours. It's generally a very slow and painful death. It's also worth noting that Robert was tended to, and his bleeding out process was somewhat halted. I think it's feasible for a man to survive the way he did. The most impressive bit is that he was able to fight through the injury and pain in order to kill the boar.

No, I get all that. It's just that people IRL can survive disembowelment, I'm pretty sure; at least for a few hours. It's generally a very slow and painful death. It's also worth noting that Robert was tended to, and his bleeding out process was somewhat halted. I think it's feasible for a man to survive the way he did. The most impressive bit is that he was able to fight through the injury and pain in order to kill the boar.
He did not have any medical intervention for 48 hrs, I don't think anyone can survive this for more than a few hours without it

Why exactly?
Because:

Characters with this degree of immortality can indefinitely survive injuries that would otherwise be lethal to a normal person, without needing to heal

Robert could not indefinitely survive those injuries. Those were mortal injuries and he just had the stamina necessary to survive a couple of days at most with medical attention.

Robert could not indefinitely survive those injuries. Those were mortal injuries and he just had the stamina necessary to survive a couple of days at most with medical attention.
Well, Robert didn't get any medical attention for two days according to the texts I sent, but yeah, I understand your point:
Injury tolerance: How much actual damage a character can withstand and continue to act in spite of it. It is common in fiction to see characters continue to fight despite grievous injuries, such as broken or missing limbs, heavy blood loss, and organ damage. Extreme cases may resemble Type 2 Immortality, with characters temporarily pushing on through injuries that should have killed them. However, as long as an injury remains lethal, it is not actually Type 2 Immortality.
Robert's case is a extreme case.

What about durability?

I guess I'm mainly just unsure about how solid it is to scale him to an attack that mortally wounded him.

Immortality type 2 is an absolute no-go.

As for durability, I'm always very iffy on giving ratings to people on stuff that...killed them lol

Sure it was over time, but that was still a fatal blow.

As for durability, I'm always very iffy on giving ratings to people on stuff that...killed them lol

Sure it was over time, but that was still a fatal blow.
Yes I agree with that, but Robert was mortally wounded by the boar's tusks, not by his charge. My point is that Robert had no known injuries other than the tusks that ripped him open.

As I showed in a post above, a boar charges to knock its target down and then kills it with its tusks. When the target is already down.

The boar made Robert fall, the latter did not receive any major injuries following this charge (Wall level Durability, because none was mentioned apart from that caused by the tusks), then the boar disemboweled him (piercing damage, the only known injury that the wild boar caused to Bobby B), and then Robert killed him.

Last edited:
I think the implication is that the boar gored him while charging lol

And again I don't think getting pierced is a good feat in any way.

I think the implication is that the boar gored him while charging lol
Nothing implies that, Robert may have been disemboweled while on the ground, like with Barsena in the fifth book, who had the same death as Robert:

The boar was a huge beast, with tusks as long as a man's forearm and small eyes that swam with rage. She wondered whether the boar that had killed Robert Baratheon had looked as fierce. A terrible creature and a terrible death. For a heartbeat she felt almost sorry for the Usurper.

It began just as he said. The boar charged, Barsena spun aside, her blade flashed silver in the sun. "She needs a spear," Ser Barristan said, as Barsena vaulted over the beast's second charge. "That is no way to fight a boar." He sounded like someone's fussy old grandsire, just as Daario was always saying.

Barsena's blade was running red, but the boar soon stopped. He is smarter than a bull, Dany realized. He will not charge again. Barsena came to the same realization. Shouting, she edged closer to the boar, tossing her knife from hand to hand. When the beast backed away, she cursed and slashed at his snout, trying to provoke him … and succeeding. This time her leap came an instant too late, and a tusk ripped her left leg open from knee to crotch.

A moan went up from thirty thousand throats. Clutching at her torn leg, Barsena dropped her knife and tried to hobble off, but before she had gone two feet the boar was on her once again. Dany turned her face away. "Was that brave enough?" she asked Strong Belwas, as a scream rang out across the sand.

"Fighting pigs is brave, but it is not brave to scream so loud. It hurts Strong Belwas in the ears." The eunuch rubbed his swollen stomach, crisscrossed with old white scars. "It makes Strong Belwas sick in his belly too."

The boar buried his snout in Barsena's belly and began rooting out her entrails. The smell was more than the queen could stand. The heat, the flies, the shouts from the crowd … I cannot breathe. She lifted her veil and let it flutter away. She took her tokar off as well. The pearls rattled softly against one another as she unwound the silk.

And again I don't think getting pierced is a good feat in any way.
I don't say otherwise

Nothing implies that, Robert may have been disemboweled while on the ground, like with Barsena in the fifth book, who had the same death as Robert:
Just because something happened that was similar doesn't mean you can equate the two. It's easier to assume Robert was just gored and then speared the boar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back