• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Question About Pressure Points

RandomGuy2345

He/Him
In many profiles, I've seen characters get Pressure Points for something as simple as targeting specific areas of the human body (I.E. the neck, arm, crotch, etc.) or just targeting the "weak areas" of their opponents, which is honestly pretty vague.

My question for the day is do these specific explanations justify giving a character Pressure Points? If not, then can one of y'all who's knowledgeable show me some legitimate examples of PP?

From my extensive research collected after a solid five minutes of Googling, "Pressure Points" seem to come in two flavors-

1. [Touch this spot to make your body do a weird thing], like how cleaning your ears makes you cough, or massaging certain parts on the back of your hand can alleviate nausea.

2. [Touch this spot for massive pain and/or paralysis], so areas containing specific nerve clusters, blood vessels, and the like.

The Google definition of pressure points refers to both-
Pressure points derive from the supposed meridian points in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Indian Ayurveda and Siddha medicine, and martial arts. They refer to areas on the human body that may produce significant pain or other effects when manipulated in a specific manner.
While attacking Pressure Points in combat can refer to a really exaggerated version of the first kind, like Kenshiro somehow being able to make a guy tell the truth by hitting his pressure points, usually they're talking about the paralysis-inducing kind (in my experience at least).

Pressure points is a martial arts technique and/or healing technique. The technique requires precise skill to those standards. A person kicking another person in the balls isn't a skillful technique in that sense, it's an exploit of a sensitive part of the human body. If a character is efficient at attacking an enemy's weak point for massive damage, then that's a display of skill, but it's not necessarily pressure points.

Back