• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Question About Giant Monsters

WeeklyBattles

VS Battles
Retired
So just something i was wondering, we usually rate characters who can kill building-sized monsters as Building level just for being able to defeat monsters of this size (ie. Kirito, The Hunter, formerly Tatsumi, the list goes on and on). Now there's just one problem. Kanade Tachibana performed a similar feat of killing a building-sized monster that only resulted in wall level energy. This raises a question: Should killing building sized monsters be considered Building level automatically via their size or are we looking at a bit of a problem with how some characters here are rated?

I don't think killing building sized monsters should be considered Building level.

Rex Salazar used to be rated Large Building level for fighting with a building-sized monster even though the monster's best feat at the time was surviving a Small Building level punch.

Building sized monster should be more 9-A than 8-C tho, they can't necesary destroy his own weight in rock or something. Anyway, character should only scale if they physically over come the moster (ex: arm westling, westling, one-to-one combat). A gigant fish in theory is as durable as normal size fish, they still made of the same flesh (unless stated otherwise). That's one of the problems with AP via shear size.

Wouldn't some of these giant monsters have pretty high AP via their kinetic energy?

If not or if the monsters don't have such AP, then perhaps we shouldn't rate them like that. As well as in the case of it going against other feats like Liger686 brought up.

So I guess it would be best as a case by case with some people being downgraded as a result.

I agree, unless its stated to be made of something hard, or is a building sized rock monster or something, it probably won't be 8-C normally.

Itd need a calc.

"Formally Tatsumi"

The best part is no one scaled Tatsumi to the massive Gundam teigu

I'm pretty tired of seeing rankings like this. Especially since the monsters in question aren't even anywhere near building sized, and yet are claimed to be "mountain sized monsters" or "building sized monsters".

Depends on the monster and the way they are defeated.

You can't really form a standard for something so situational.

And Ryukama is right about their Kinetic Energy.

@Matt Those lines are the characters it threw away from them, in that shot theyre several meters above it

Then again the same could be said about the monsters Kirito is scaled from as well...

I legit just brought up a topic similar to this yesterday in regards to the Colossi from SotC.

Those are understandable imo, since they're made of a mix between rock and flesh and are in many cases well over 20 meters tall. (One of them is stated on its profile to be over 60 meters tall, and another is stated on its profile to be a full 170 meters long)

Yet these guys, who are clearly nowhere near that huge, are supposedly High 8-C due to sheer size?

@King

The problem doesn't seen to be with the Building Sized Monsters, stuff like the Colossus from SotC certainly count.

The problem is things that aren't Building-sized being listed as Building-Sized.

@Matt: That's what I'm saying here. Some of these characters/monsters are being highballed to a ridiculous degree imo, and have been for a while. We have monsters (ex: SotC's Colossi) that have clear justifications for their tiering, yet characters/monsters/etc much smaller than them have similar ratings or higher.

The via sheer size argument only works for things like Tier 6 or higher imo, because towards the higher end of Tier 6, GBE becomes relevant.

I also agree that stuff like the High 8-C giants really need to stop. If they're barely taller than a gas station, they're not anywhere near High 8-C.

Pretty sure KE is the main argument for via size AP, not GBE.

A building ramming at someone at 10 m/s would probably be building level.

I think we should drop the whole "via sheer size" thing unless it's very blatant. Like if a character is several times bigger than a continent, it would most likely take a continental attack to destroy them.

Or as an alternative, I suggest we add the "At most" prefix to any rankings that come from sheer size.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Pretty sure KE is the main argument for via size AP, not GBE.
A building ramming at someone at 10 m/s would probably be building level.
For ti to do that it would have to be well into Class M

Except that if you move a content at any speed reasonable for its size, its going to be destroyed. A character truly continent sized would certainly survive its own KE.

Then we've got a bit of work to do to fix this...pretty much all of SAO is scaled like this...

Hell most Star sized things would easily get High 4-C KE by moving, but it's more important for vaguer stuff like those giants.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
We should probably provide calcs for the KE of anything big enough for them to have a tiering associated with it, except for painfully obvious case like Star sized things or things larger than the universe.
I agree with this.

Except they'd actually need to have some kinetic energy feats.

We don't just apply kinetic energy to a character unless they're shown ramming into things as an attack. It's why we don't just rank Temmie at 8-A via MHS+ KE.

Except that our KE rule specifically states that we use KE for big stuff like Kaiju.

These characters have X level feats for every time they even move. It's silly to ignore that and just wait for GBE or something.

Agreed with Saikou. Kinetic Energy is the best way to go.

And Temmie being 8-A via MHS+ KE is calc stacking.

A giant monster being 8-A by the sheer act of running at the minimum average speed a humanoid of its size would have is 100% justifiable.

There's even a lewd calculator that is of hilarious great help for such calcs.

KE will be used for AP, however, it would be only via tackles, otherwise, we going to rate normal humans as 9-C.

"It would only be via tackles"

This logic only works with human level beings. Someone tackling at 6-C would punch at 6-C.

Back